PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Incorrect message of the day after upgrade to Zesty

steve233
April 29th, 2017, 07:26 PM
After upgrading my server to Zesty I get the following from motd every time I log in:

Ubuntu 17.04
zesty

Ubuntu 12.04 LTS end-of-life was April 28, 2017 -- Upgrade your Precise systems!
$ sudo do-release-upgrade -m server

0 packages can be updated.
0 updates are security updates.

Failed to connect to http://changelogs.ubuntu.com/meta-release. Check your Internet connection or proxy settings

Everything seems up to date. Can anyone help me figure out how to get motd to update itself?
Thanks.

ian-weisser
April 30th, 2017, 01:49 AM
Look in /etc/update-motd.d/

steve233
April 30th, 2017, 02:08 AM
Checked in there. Looks like the usual scripts are present. Running them produces the same output I see when I log in.
00-header 90-updates-available 95-hwe-eol 98-fsck-at-reboot
50-motd-news 91-release-upgrade 97-overlayroot 98-reboot-required

m-d-d
April 30th, 2017, 02:55 AM
I have same message after upgrading to Zesty.

ian-weisser
April 30th, 2017, 02:36 PM
Try sudo /usr/sbin/update-motd

steve233
April 30th, 2017, 04:24 PM
I'm missing all of these files in Zesty:
/usr/sbin/update-motd
/etc/motd
/var/run/motd

steve233
April 30th, 2017, 06:32 PM
I've fixed my problem but I would love some feedback as to whether this is the correct fix.
It appears to me that /etc/update-motd.d/50-motd-news is using a cached file to read current info from.
I cleared the contents of that cached file and no longer receive the incorrect message during login.
The following will clear it:

> /var/cache/motd-news

Then you can check that it is gone by running:

sudo run-parts /etc/update-motd.d/

ian-weisser
April 30th, 2017, 06:39 PM
I'm missing all of these files in Zesty:
/usr/sbin/update-motd
/etc/motd
/var/run/motd

Reinstall the 'update-motd' package.

m-d-d
May 2nd, 2017, 11:52 AM
I've fixed my problem but I would love some feedback as to whether this is the correct fix.
It appears to me that /etc/update-motd.d/50-motd-news is using a cached file to read current info from.
I cleared the contents of that cached file and no longer receive the incorrect message during login.
The following will clear it:

> /var/cache/motd-news

Then you can check that it is gone by running:

sudo run-parts /etc/update-motd.d/

Thank you! This indeed fixed incorrect message about server upgrade. BTW my update-mod package was correctly installed. This must be some artifact left from multiple system upgrades.