PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu 17.04 install cannot connect to internet

neilsp
April 28th, 2017, 06:41 PM
I would like to report a problem I encountered when trying to install Ubuntu Desktop 17.04 on a HP Pavilion g7 Notebook with 8 Gigs of memory, on a disk that had been completely wiped clean. Basically, the installation CD could not connect to the Internet. I tried both a wired Ethernet connection (which the installation did not detect at all) and then a WiFi connection. The WiFi could at least be seen during the install, but the install could not find the Internet.

In the end, I wiped the disk again and installed Ubuntu Desktop 16.04.2 with no problems. It correctly detected and used the wired Ethernet connection to the Internet.

Hopefully this will be fixed in the next release of 17.04.

QIII
April 28th, 2017, 06:54 PM
Hello!

Thanks for your input. However, the Ubuntu Forums are not a place to make reports. We are an all-volunteer community for peer support. We aren't employees of Canonical (well, there are a couple of exceptions to that) and we can't affect changes to code.

Bug reports should be made through the built-in bug reporting system or, in a case like this, directly to launchpad.net.

That said: There are many, perhaps millions, of users who have been able to successfully install 17.04 with a connection to the web -- myself included. Perhaps if you were to ask for support, someone might be able to help you get this done successfully.

Cheers.

wildmanne39
April 28th, 2017, 06:59 PM
You could have done like many people did install and then fix the internet, easy to do once installed.

RobGoss
April 29th, 2017, 12:16 AM
After ready the OP about not being able to get connected I decided to give 17.04 a swirl,

I started up one of my main machine and booted off the USB live session, everything seems to connect just fine. I played around a little to see how everything worked and had no problems

I'm assuming this is your first time installing a Linux distribution correct?

Some machine depending on the manufacture will have a harder time to install and get everything working, so it's always good to give your self time to learn how to trouble shoot and get things working