PDA

View Full Version : What can be improved in Ubuntu.

gflores
April 3rd, 2005, 06:15 AM
I've been hearing a lot of good things about Ubuntu. However, I would like to hear from regular users on what can be improved. I have yet to install Ubuntu, so I don't really know. I would assume a lot of the comments would also be applicable for most Linux distributions.

Edit: First post!

Xian
April 3rd, 2005, 06:22 AM
Everyone has their wish-list, but IMO Ubuntu has become a model for how to establish, promote, and maintain a Linux distribution. There are distros which have been in development for years that can't even touch what Ubuntu has been able to accomplish in such an incredibly short amount of time.

But hey, just try it yourself and then you'll know.

somuchfortheafter
April 3rd, 2005, 01:54 PM
ok instant raid support would be nice for people comming to linux with high end machines, also patched monitor mode drivers for orinocos would be nice

orion_114
April 3rd, 2005, 02:13 PM
Ubuntu is by far the best distro I have encountered. It is easy to use and the community is very helpful. I think the main improvement that Ubuntu could use is some more crossover cababilities to help users move from a Windows environment to the Linux environment seemlessly. There needs to be a slightly less technical guide (One that doesn't include CLI stuff) for new users. Other than that I have found that Ubuntu is a system that is going places and will soon be too good to be ignored by the likes of Bill and the boys.

ubuntu_demon
April 3rd, 2005, 02:45 PM
Ubuntu is by far the best distro I have encountered. It is easy to use and the community is very helpful. I think the main improvement that Ubuntu could use is some more crossover cababilities to help users move from a Windows environment to the Linux environment seemlessly. There needs to be a slightly less technical guide (One that doesn't include CLI stuff) for new users. Other than that I have found that Ubuntu is a system that is going places and will soon be too good to be ignored by the likes of Bill and the boys.
there's a lot of small things to be improved but everyone has their wishlists. A lot could be improved to windows too :). A couple of biggies are mono/beagle/dashboard those technologies are needed to compete with apple and longhorn. They are planned for the next release of Ubuntu.

Ubuntu has a great community.

Ubuntu is based on debian. Debian had a lot of drawbacks for the average-desktop-user. For example the only way to run recent stuff with debian was running debian unstable and that's bad from a stability/security perspective.

I'm a pragmatic guy. Ubuntu warty was the first linux distribution that fitted my desktop needs more than windows did. I think hoary is comparable to windows from the average user perspective (ease of use) but far superior in terms of stability and security.

Don't forget to check www.ubuntuguide.org

And please wait for hoary's release if you're new to linux :). It is planned for next week.

A couple of things outside ubuntu :
Another thing is better linux hardware support by the manufacturers. But I'm sure that if linux/ubuntu is being used by more people eventually they will do it.

Better msn support for gaim (webcam,games and such).

mark
April 3rd, 2005, 02:53 PM
Easier networking (in my case, peer-to-peer, both Windows and Linux). Better "out of the box" multimedia support (and, yes, I'm familiar with the licensing restrictions).

All things considered, Ubuntu is really very good. I just reinstalled Windows XP on my laptop and I was amazed at the gyrations I had to go through to make everything "just work".

Mark

ubuntu_demon
April 3rd, 2005, 02:59 PM
Easier networking (in my case, peer-to-peer, both Windows and Linux). Better "out of the box" multimedia support (and, yes, I'm familiar with the licensing restrictions).

All things considered, Ubuntu is really very good. I just reinstalled Windows XP on my laptop and I was amazed at the gyrations I had to go through to make everything "just work".

Mark
for better multimedia :
http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=22646

Buffalo Soldier
April 3rd, 2005, 03:29 PM
Another similar thread can be found at Beyond Hoary: Ubuntu wish list... (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=22290)

gflores
April 3rd, 2005, 06:36 PM

I would have to agree about the CLI stuff. I think something like what Linspire has (CNR), is necessary for the new user.

Another thing that I seem to have trouble is the installation. This applies to Linux, in general. I just get confused about making several partitions (swap, root, home) and making them the right size. For the Windows user trying to dual-boot, this is incredibly confusing. However, I can't think of any solution... :confused: :(

zenwhen
April 3rd, 2005, 06:52 PM
ok instant raid support would be nice for people comming to linux with high end machines, also patched monitor mode drivers for orinocos would be nice

I would also LOVE to see that.

kassetra
April 3rd, 2005, 06:53 PM
I would have to agree about the CLI stuff. I think something like what Linspire has (CNR), is necessary for the new user.

Another thing that I seem to have trouble is the installation. This applies to Linux, in general. I just get confused about making several partitions (swap, root, home) and making them the right size. For the Windows user trying to dual-boot, this is incredibly confusing. However, I can't think of any solution... :confused: :(

In general, Ubuntu doesn't make you make too many decisions when installing - so that's a plus.

I think what would really make linux "worthwhile" to try installing instead of just using a live cd - would be any installation that automagically detects the windows partition, asks if you would like to dual-boot and then just sets it up for you.

ubuntu_demon
April 3rd, 2005, 07:17 PM
In general, Ubuntu doesn't make you make too many decisions when installing - so that's a plus.

I think what would really make linux "worthwhile" to try installing instead of just using a live cd - would be any installation that automagically detects the windows partition, asks if you would like to dual-boot and then just sets it up for you.
yeah we need this!

also integrating the live-cd with the installer cd would be nice. So you can

-just boot it and use it as a live-cd
-choose install during boot and have the current installer
-choose install after you have entered gnome and have an X based installer

kassetra
April 3rd, 2005, 07:25 PM
also integrating the live-cd with the installer cd would be nice. So you can

-just boot it and use it as a live-cd
-choose install during boot and have the current installer
-choose install after you have entered gnome and have an X based installer

The only thing about that is that you'd need a double check dialog, as in:

"DO YOU REALLY WANT TO INSTALL UBUNTU PERMANENTLY ON YOUR COMPUTER?"

so that people with butterfingers don't install it instead of running the live cd and then blame the distro.

seven
April 3rd, 2005, 07:29 PM
a graphical ".deb" packages could be realy great and useful

ubuntu_demon
April 3rd, 2005, 07:34 PM
The only thing about that is that you'd need a double check dialog, as in:

"DO YOU REALLY WANT TO INSTALL UBUNTU PERMANENTLY ON YOUR COMPUTER?"

so that people with butterfingers don't install it instead of running the live cd and then blame the distro.

yeah true :)

kassetra
April 3rd, 2005, 07:35 PM
a graphical ".deb" packages could be realy great and useful

Graphical .deb packages? how so? You mean a graphical installer?

gflores
April 3rd, 2005, 09:21 PM

Yes, that would be ideal and that's probably the second biggest thing that is necessary for Linux (apart from software installation).

Jad
April 3rd, 2005, 09:49 PM
Originally Posted by kassetra

I think what would really make linux "worthwhile" to try installing instead of just using a live cd - would be any installation that automagically detects the windows partition, asks if you would like to dual-boot and then just sets it up for you.E]

My vote for it!

kassetra
April 3rd, 2005, 11:11 PM
Yes, that would be ideal and that's probably the second biggest thing that is necessary for Linux (apart from software installation).

Software install is kinda nailed with the idea of repositories and such, and rpms now have a neat trick where you click on them, type in your password and they can install...

I think the auto-dual-boot would be a great, if not extremely expensive (in programmer hours) option to add to an install.

poofyhairguy
April 3rd, 2005, 11:16 PM
patched monitor mode drivers for orinocos would be nice

Or use of the newest drivers that monitor automatically.

Brunellus
April 4th, 2005, 12:23 AM
I think the auto-dual-boot would be a great, if not extremely expensive (in programmer hours) option to add to an install.

SuSE 9.1 did this for me without so much as breaking a sweat.... Partitioned, set up, and installed, and lo, windows was available in grub. neatness!

Overall Ubuntu has been better than SuSE for me, but the lack of an easy way to dual-boot (and by this I mean easy for total newbies, not easy for hardcore linux wizards) is a dealkiller for several of my friends who are intrigued by Linux in general, but feel like they still want to keep their Windows partitions.

Linux types sneer at dual-booters, but I firmly believe that the dual-boot is a good way to wean people off their dependency on The Other OS. They discover that they need that windows partition less and less...and then, one day, POUF! it's gone. (that's what happened in my case)

kassetra
April 4th, 2005, 12:31 AM
SuSE 9.1 did this for me without so much as breaking a sweat.... Partitioned, set up, and installed, and lo, windows was available in grub. neatness!

Linux types sneer at dual-booters, but I firmly believe that the dual-boot is a good way to wean people off their dependency on The Other OS. They discover that they need that windows partition less and less...and then, one day, POUF! it's gone. (that's what happened in my case)

Oh I agree whole heartedly - that's what happened for me back in... '99? yeah, I think so anyway...

As for SuSE 9.1 doing dual boot... SuSE 9.3 wiped out my friends windows partition automatically... eh. not cool.

bored2k
April 4th, 2005, 12:34 AM
Oh I agree whole heartedly - that's what happened for me back in... '99? yeah, I think so anyway...

As for SuSE 9.1 doing dual boot... SuSE 9.3 wiped out my friends windows partition automatically... eh. not cool.
Yoper did that to me .. Break Stuff (http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Acres/8301/barneymusic.html)

MetalMusicAddict
April 4th, 2005, 03:14 AM
-RAID support
-Samba and SambaFS built in

Ozitraveller
April 4th, 2005, 04:13 AM
I think the most important issues for me are:
1. better hardware detection
2. Networking that just works
3. Mono/MonoDevelop (the latest)
4. Dual boot, ntfs resizing
5. initial install package selection

for me multimedia is a nice to have, but not essential.

poofyhairguy
April 4th, 2005, 06:16 AM
Oh....I got one.

How about install from the live cd! one CD!

skoal
April 4th, 2005, 08:20 PM
Improvement? I guess mine is more of a request for flexibility:

1. Clean way of disabling certain init scripts.
2. Maybe a GUI like 'redhat-config-services' would be nice.

I've read several threads on the ubuntu way of handling init scripts, and done so accordingly. I'd like a separate 'initscripts' package I could download which has those 'patches' already incorporated. Some unifying framework would be nice here so I can write a python GUI to start/stop services.

I put all my Linux distributions on the 'Atkins diet' when I first use them. If 'ps -A' scrolls off my 80x25 terminal, then I know there's too much 'cheesecake' sitting on my harddrive. Don't get me wrong. I like snacking from the ubuntu dessert 'buffet'. I'm just trying to watch my 'weight' right now.

Glanz
April 4th, 2005, 08:49 PM
-- the GDM Splash -- hehehehehe :)

acascianelli
April 4th, 2005, 08:56 PM
Graphical boot screen.
Better Gnome menu editing
Faster software updates.
Better support for notebooks.

gflores
April 5th, 2005, 02:08 AM
Regarding the partition resizing, I found this.
http://mlf.linux.rulez.org/mlf/ezaz/ntfsresize.html
Here's part of it.

Feb 24, 2005 Ubuntu 5.04, codenamed "Hoary Hedgehog", is the newest distribution that added support for non-destructive NTFS resizing during installation by the use Partman and ntfsresize.

So, I guess it's only a matter of time for it to be done automatically, maybe?

Ozitraveller
April 5th, 2005, 02:16 AM
Regarding the partition resizing, I found this.
http://mlf.linux.rulez.org/mlf/ezaz/ntfsresize.html
Here's part of it.

So, I guess it's only a matter of time for it to be done automatically, maybe?

I saw that back in early February, looks as though it's been updated, thanks for that!!!

poofyhairguy
April 5th, 2005, 03:10 AM
Hmm, how about some rest for the poor Ubuntu devs. A lot of work has been done on Hoary since the freeze, and they look tired in the new logic screen...