PDA

View Full Version : 17.04 Mate duplicate network icon top bar

eatpancakes
April 24th, 2017, 05:10 PM
I don't know if this is a related bug
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xfce4-panel/+bug/1685502

in my case I am running 4790K Z97 Nvidia GTX960 Ubuntu 17.04 Mate with non-free plugins and update during install. running on UEFI from usb 16GB with a permanent install. this duplicate network icon started after installing proprietary Nvidia graphics driver binary. I really like the proprietary graphics driver. I also had the entire bar disappear (solid gray) upon exit of a gui app. I used ubuntu-mate --restart to fix it. did I break it when I restarted mate? am I going to be stuck with no support because I am using a proprietary binary :(

CLICK FOR BIG
http://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2835/33431762193_842c084835_z.jpg (http://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2835/33431762193_963b5889b0_o.jpg)

1fallen
April 24th, 2017, 05:59 PM
I saw this very early in the Development cycle....maybe still lingering around.
For myself I just used the "killall mate-panel" which seemed to sort it out.
I also use the nvidia non-free driver...and i do not suspect that is a problem for the duplicate nm-applet.
Sorry i could not be of more help here.

eatpancakes
April 24th, 2017, 06:57 PM
I saw this very early in the Development cycle....maybe still lingering around.
For myself I just used the "killall mate-panel" which seemed to sort it out.
I also use the nvidia non-free driver...and i do not suspect that is a problem for the duplicate nm-applet.
Sorry i could not be of more help here.

ok but before I run the command, can you tell me more information about the fix? do I need to run the command only once or each startup? is there a chance that something will be permanently damaged by running the command? how will I shut down and reboot the machine from the terminal if I lose the top bar again. I want to be prepared with the commands so I can rescue and reboot if it does not work. thanks.

1fallen
April 24th, 2017, 08:41 PM
ok but before I run the command, can you tell me more information about the fix? do I need to run the command only once or each startup? is there a chance that something will be permanently damaged by running the command? how will I shut down and reboot the machine from the terminal if I lose the top bar again. I want to be prepared with the commands so I can rescue and reboot if it does not work. thanks.

All it does is reset the panel....dose not change anything....very safe to use.:D
It is not a fix but a work-around....just use it as needed.
You have not added anything in the "Startup Applications" related to networking have you?

eatpancakes
April 27th, 2017, 06:35 AM
update, the problem went away completely. it only happened a few times and every time it happened there were changes to the system with installing packages or freezing that required hard reset. the freeze was not a bug. I had too many tabs open only 8gb ram. the usb is ancient 4mb/s write. I wasn't killing processes correctly with ctrl+D it only put them in jobs. with all my noob crashes somehow I managed to learn and get a %100 working system. I did the fix for the nvidia error that pops up when installing emacs for example or anything. there is something about a nvidia .so lib "not a symlink" but I fixed that with the help of some commands I found for that specific problem. overall very happy with everything. the only things that ever gave me problems in ubuntu 17.04 mate were using nvidia hardware and using edimax wifi. this is clearly not a ubuntu problem but really a nvidia problem and a edimax problem. there is some debate about how ubuntu implements the depreciated libs for nvidia blobs but its not really doing serious damage and the good people in the ubuntu community always sort out what the distro maintainers can not. even now if I install packages with apt-get it does not reproduce the problem of duplicate network icons. I also think that booting the system with RJ45 disconnected and no wifi dongle may have been the thing that fixed it. then rebooted again and inserted RJ45/ethernet at the desktop. rebooted the system 5 times today and never had duplicate network icons. I may start a new thread about how linux is changing time settings on shut down that carry over to windows. shell script in windows fixes time on windows boot. if this is the worst of my problems then I really have no permanent problems. linux is my #1 OS as of today, great community. I will donate.