PDA

View Full Version : The Best Recommendations This Year

lammert-nijhof
April 21st, 2017, 11:38 PM
I did receive two good recommendation this year:

On YouTube in a video about Virtualbox, the teacher provided a number of ways to improve the performance of Virtualbox. One was completely new to me. He suggested to use bridged networking, because that would improve performance. I tried it and it did improve CPU occupation of YouTube videos with something close to 10%.
In the OMG Ubuntu of today, the author suggested to enable HW video acceleration in Firefox. I had no clue, that Firefox had that option. I activated video acceleration and it did improve CPU occupation of my PC by 10%-20%. Inside Virtualbox in the Guests it did improve the CPU occupation by 20%-30%.

Both recommendations allowed me to move my main distro to Virtualbox. As a guest on Virtualbox I have almost the same performance now as on the real HW and it has the following main advantages:

No more boot problems, due to installation issues. Last month something went wrong during an installation and none of the OSes could be loaded anymore. Unfortunately Boot Repair DVD was 32-bit instead of the needed 64-bit version.
If I do something stupid or risky, I just go back to my previous snapshot or if needed I reload a backup version of the VM from my USB disk.
I can move my OSes to any other PCs in the house and if I buy another PC, I don't have to re-install and re-tune everything.
In the time I moved to Linux, I created a version from Windows XP as a Guest for Virtualbox. To be used, if I needed Microsoft Office, because Open-Office could not cope with the .doc file. That VDI has been used on 4 of my PCs, I owned since 2010. I never had to re-install XP. The same happened with Ubuntu 10.04.
I can play music with WMP on XP, using the WOW effect and True Bass, while playing with a Linux distro and rebooting it every minute and the music plays on.