PDA

View Full Version : GDM on Ubuntu Gnome 17.04 is not displaying Wayland login option

sunre
April 21st, 2017, 02:02 PM
I installed Ubuntu Gnome 17.04 and the nvidia binaries (through the Software&Updates > Additional Drivers interface).

The issue is that the login screen does not offer any option for logging into Gnome with Wayland. I know there is support for the nvidia drivers and Gnome 3.24 shipped with Ubuntu should support this option.

What should I look into for debugging this?

Dennis N
April 21st, 2017, 05:00 PM
Did you have the Wayland option with the open source driver?

Using open source driver on Ubuntu Gnome 17.04, I have:

Gnome
Gnome Classic
Gnome on Wayland

Also, we don't seem to have gtk+ version 3.24 on this release; I did read a while ago was going to ship 3.24.

dmn@Roxanne:~$ dpkg-query --list libgtk-3*
Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
| Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
|/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
||/ Name Version Architecture Description
+++-=========================================-=========================-=========================-================================================== ======================================
ii libgtk-3-0:amd64 3.22.11-0ubuntu3 amd64 GTK+ graphical user interface library
ii libgtk-3-bin 3.22.11-0ubuntu3 amd64 programs for the GTK+ graphical user interface library
ii libgtk-3-common 3.22.11-0ubuntu3 all common files for the GTK+ graphical user interface library

EDIT: Found this out later: Gnome 3.24 does not mean it has gtk+ version 3.24 - the Gnome version number does not necessarily match the gtk + version it uses.

sunre
April 23rd, 2017, 10:40 AM
Thank you for your reply.

I tried switching to the open-source drivers and indeed the login screen now presents itself with the Wayland option. I was able to login and everything seemed fine. However I am forced to use the nvidia drivers (I am working with the nvidia cuda libraries).

I also tried setting modeset=1 as suggested here (https://askubuntu.com/a/907839/528590), to no effect.

Not sure how gtk and gnome versioning works, but most parts of gnome seem to be 3.24:

ii gnome-session 3.24.0-0ubuntu1 amd64 GNOME Session Manager - GNOME 3 session
ii gnome-session-bin 3.24.0-0ubuntu1 amd64 GNOME Session Manager - Minimal runtime
ii gnome-session-canberra 0.30-3ubuntu1 amd64 GNOME session log in and log out sound events
ii gnome-session-common 3.24.0-0ubuntu1 all GNOME Session Manager - common files
ii gnome-settings-daemon 3.24.0-0ubuntu2 amd64 daemon handling the GNOME session settings
ii gnome-settings-daemon-schemas 3.24.0-0ubuntu2 all gnome-settings-daemon schemas
ii gnome-shell 3.24.0-0ubuntu2 amd64 graphical shell for the GNOME desktop
ii gnome-shell-common 3.24.0-0ubuntu2 all common files for the GNOME graphical shell
ii gnome-shell-extensions 3.24.0-0ubuntu1 all Extensions to extend functionality of GNOME Shell

Any other suggestions? Are the nvidia drivers even supposed to work with Wayland?

sunre
April 23rd, 2017, 10:54 AM
Hmm, I did some more digging. Apparently there is a bug caused by different API's used by Nvidia and Wayland. More details here (https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/66qyba/has_anyone_successfully_tried_gnome_324_and_got/) and here (https://github.com/Cloudef/wlc/pull/245).