PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] ubuntu 16.04 / win 10 dual boot + win 10 creators update => ubuntu stuck at purple sc

lb96179
April 21st, 2017, 10:42 AM
I had a dual boot of Ubuntu 16.04 and Windows 10 that worked fine. Then I installed windows 10 creators update (and forgot to unplug my ubuntu drive, oops). Now I go from the grub menu to a frozen purple screen on attempting to boot ubuntu (windows 10 is fine). I think all my data from the Ubuntu drive is backed up, but if I wanted to check that - is there an easy way to check? I'm probably going to do a clean install rather than attempt to fix the broken installation, but a quick look at whatever data can be examined easily might be useful.

thanks very much.

westie457
April 21st, 2017, 11:01 AM
Hi
Connect your ubuntu drive. Boot your computer using the install media to Try-mode.
You should be able to check your files and back them up.
Also you might be able to fix everything with Boot-Repair (2nd option) available here. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair

Before attempting any repairs click on 'Create Report', when this has finished you will be given a link to post for help. Post that link so we can offer suggestions .

lb96179
April 22nd, 2017, 09:44 AM
Thanks westie457. intall media + try-mode did the trick. I have a few things to get through so I'm just going to re-install and move on.
Best