PDA

View Full Version : Dash to Panel gnome extension is worth a look!

saiyon
April 20th, 2017, 12:22 AM
Due to recent announcements I decided on 17.04 to move over to Ubuntu Gnome. I have always liked the default gnome apps, it was just some of the desktop design that felt foreign to me.

After a bit of playing with extensions (very easy to use/install!), I have a setup that people may wish to replicate.

You only need the following extensions to replicate my setup:

1. Dash to Panel
2. No Topleft hot corner
3. TopIcons Plus

Just those three extensions give you a desktop with this layout:

https://imgur.com/a/F8E2h

"Dash to Panel" was the extension I wasn't aware of until tonight and it is perfect for my needs.

Thought it was worth giving it some publicity for those who didn't know it existed.

Cheers

monkeybrain20122
April 21st, 2017, 11:56 AM
I think that unity7 will be available for 18.04 even if it is not default. I will install that or stick to 16.04 if not. Hopefully several years down the road the unity 8 community fork will be ready for the prime time (or gnome 4 will actually be usable) I dualboot with Fedora and seriously GS is terrible. I am fed up with having to hunt for and install a dozen of extensions half of which will probably be broken next release just to make the desktop usable, and the jerky, laggy desktop animation.

On the other hand I am pleasantly surprised by kde 5. Following this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1i7jAtHcw4) video I am able to reproduce a lot of unity's features and it is much smoother than gnome shell.

rosswmcgee
April 25th, 2017, 09:38 PM
I have many different desktops in Unity 16.04lts. Recently I installed the Solus desktop in Unity, very nice easy to use and it can be stand alone as well. Meanwhile

back at the ranch I tried 17.04 not impressed with ease of use. Installed Suse leaf 42.2 on a standby computer its solid and I doubt they are going away. You can use

kde or gnome with that or both on the same system. I still like the fact that Unity provides so many options as far as desktops its sort of a bazaar at the log in

icon if you wish. Hopefully someone will continue unity at a later date.

irv
May 10th, 2017, 07:53 PM
I just ran across your Thread, and all I could say, I could have written it because I did the samething. When I heard that Ubuntu was dropping Unity and going back to Gnome, I installed 17.04 Ubuntu Gnome. I also installed Cairo Dock. I also am using the extensions "Dash to Dock." There are a lot of nice extensions for Gnome now. Now that I have been using it for awhile I like it. There was stuff in Unity I never used anyway so I don't even miss it.

lammert-nijhof
May 17th, 2017, 04:12 PM
Ubuntu Gnome and Dash to Panel could be a nice starting point, if they also trim the bloated gnome shell and gnome software and if they allow to run Vbox guest additions 5.18.. My alternative is Ubuntu Mate with the equally nice Mutiny theme to give a unity feeling and Mate requires 600MB less.

cc1984
May 18th, 2017, 01:56 AM
Thanks, I tried Ubuntu Gnome with the "Dash to Dock" and this "Dash to Panel" looks nice as well. I was surprised at the amount of Gnome extensions. Unfortunately Gnome just didn't seem to run well on my old laptop so I too switched over to Mate with the Mutiny theme and am quite happy. I'm hoping to upgrade my laptop when I'm back in the US later this year and may give Gnome another go and take a look at this "Dash to Panel".

orange2k
May 19th, 2017, 05:09 PM
Dash to dock is very usefull, but I stopped using it. Instead, I use Docky in my Ubuntu Gnome setup - even nicer, because it dogdes out of the way if there is a window above it...

monkeybrain20122
May 19th, 2017, 07:52 PM
Dash to dock is very usefull, but I stopped using it. Instead, I use Docky in my Ubuntu Gnome setup - even nicer, because it dogdes out of the way if there is a window above it...

Does docky let you disable gnome's dock? (I don't need two docks) So far the only option I know is the simple dock extension, it provides a more functional dock than gnome's and disable gnome's,-- it can be configured to autohide or intel hide, provides visual cues of what apps is running and has click to minimize feature,--but it only stays at the bottom of the screen and cannot be moved to the side.

orange2k
May 19th, 2017, 08:50 PM
Does docky let you disable gnome's dock? (I don't need two docks) So far the only option I know is the simple dock extension, it provides a more functional dock than gnome's and disable gnome's,-- it can be configured to autohide or intel hide, provides visual cues of what apps is running and has click to minimize feature,--but it only stays at the bottom of the screen and cannot be moved to the side.

No, Docky doesn't disable anything in the system, I even like to use the second dock for some apps I don't keep in Docky that I use only occasionaly, but if I wanted to disable the Gnome dock entirely the easiest option would be to use the previously mentioned extension that disables topleft corner functionality. I have tried the simple dock extension, but it doesn't have the features and the look of Docky...:D

SurfaceUnits
June 7th, 2017, 11:16 PM
If gnome would get rid of the Evolution gahrbage it would be good. I don't need the addressbook-factory or the calendar-factory running all the time