PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu 17.04 to Ubuntu 17.04 Mate

shazbot
April 19th, 2017, 12:22 PM
Hi have recently installed Ubuntu 17.04 on a Zotac Pc that I use only for Kodi as a stocking my CDs ripped on Flac, for the sound to my sound system and as a backup from my PC, I have over 1000 CDs, about 500gbs

I would like to try the Ubuntu Mate 17.04 that has just been released and as I prefer Gnome to KDE

Can I upgrade to it, keeping the Kodi setup and data, or will I need to wipe and install again ?

Thanks

PS if wrong forum, please move me or tell so that I can repost :)

RobGoss
April 19th, 2017, 04:25 PM
Hello and welcome to the forum, Ubuntu 17.04 and Ubuntu 17.04 Mate, are two different desktop environments. You can install the different destop environments if you just wanted to experience what the difference is between the two

It sounds like you want to do a full installation of Ubuntu mate 17.04, if this is correct your options are to ether do a clean installation meaning wiping your existing hard drive and installing Ubuntu mate 17.04, or creating another partition so you can install Ubuntu mate on that new partition. This means you will have to dual boot between each system to use each OS

As far as Kodi is concern I'm not sure how you can backup that data and transfer it to the new installation, maybe some else can give you some help with that

shazbot
April 19th, 2017, 05:27 PM
Hi

Thanks, It would look like I'd have to do a clean reinstall and reinstall Kodi after, takes time but its not the end of the world, except transferring the Flac file from my PC to the Ubintu / Kodi machine, take almost a day

TBH after I rarely touch the Linux side as I only only use the machine for the Kodi interface, but sometimes when I have time I play with linux, and I do prefer Gnome and don't really like the latest KDE look

again thanks for your reply