PDA

View Full Version : HP 15-F004WM installation & not booting problems. Please help, HP non profit wouldn'

primitive1
April 13th, 2017, 09:53 PM
Yes this model laptop when turned on will not let me into the BIOS or to the hard drive. I don't have a windows recovery disk to save the hard drive but the hard drive would spin constantly in windows 7 & xubuntu but there wouldn't be any further details about partitions, etc. so i tried placing linux on the hdd and it acted like it would try to keep the installation but when the laptop was rebooted, it would go back to not recognizing what image was placed on it.

The laptop once the on switch is pressed lights up orange on the F12(wireless) key for 3 seconds then goes out for 3 and then turns on again and does nothing. Sometimes during this sequence the all caps will light solidly white. The laptop spins the fan for the interval given on the lights and then stops each instance.

After the linux image wouldn't work i even tried placing linux on a ssd and i would get the same thing.

I volunteer for the area community taking in used equipment to clean and image a new copy of linux for small children / needy families in our area.

I mentioned this in the HP forums and when they saw Linux they wouldn't help me with the problem. Does HP and it's staff do any volunteering or donations to any charity? Who doesn't want to help a good cause?

They had a battery recall when machine was under warranty but the same problem i am having now would be intermittent when their technical support misdiagnosed the problem to be a battery! HP doesn't want to own up to it's problems.

Any help would be appreciated. May God bless you all's day!

DuckHook
April 14th, 2017, 04:48 AM
I cannot speak for HP support or the old battery recall, and you do not provide sufficient details to determine whether the old problem is connected with your current one, but by your description, your laptop may simply have given up the ghost. It's possible that your MOBO is gone, which would lead to the symptoms you describe. Since even a SDD doesn't work, it doesn't appear to be the HDD. You may still want to try a LiveUSB. If that leads to a working desktop, then it may just be the HDD (if you are lucky), but even if the problem is the SATA subsystem, it makes no sense to repair since laptops have everything integrated onto the MOBO.

Mark Phelps
April 14th, 2017, 11:56 PM
... Does HP and it's staff do any volunteering or donations to any charity?..

The premier staff of the HP Support Forums, those folks designated as "Experts" are ALL volunteers, not HP personnel, some devoting 10 hours or more a day, and 5-7 days a week to providing assistance to HP customers for FREE! So, YES, they do a LOT of volunteering!!

As to charity donations, that same group of folks donate thousands of dollars worth of new HP Desktops, Laptops, and Printers to charities every year. So, YES, they do donations, too.

They generally do NOT help with Linux problems because HERE is the best case to go with Ubuntu problems, not the HP Forums. HERE you will find folks with great in-depth knowledge of Ubuntu and with hands-on experience struggling to get hardware built for Windows, working in Linux.

DuckHook
April 15th, 2017, 02:28 AM
The premier staff of the HP Support Forums, those folks designated as "Experts" are ALL volunteers, not HP personnel, some devoting 10 hours or more a day, and 5-7 days a week to providing assistance to HP customers for FREE! So, YES, they do a LOT of volunteering!!

As to charity donations, that same group of folks donate thousands of dollars worth of new HP Desktops, Laptops, and Printers to charities every year. So, YES, they do donations, too.

They generally do NOT help with Linux problems because HERE is the best case to go with Ubuntu problems, not the HP Forums. HERE you will find folks with great in-depth knowledge of Ubuntu and with hands-on experience struggling to get hardware built for Windows, working in Linux.Good to see you prowling around the forums again, Mark Phelps.

Did not know some of those things about the HP forums and their personnel. Thanks for sharing it. It is pretty obvious that their forums would not differ much from ours wherein members devote hundreds if not thousands of their own hours every year to helping others. It only stands to reason. But the contribution of equipment is something that I did not know, and it's pretty admirable.

gordintoronto
April 15th, 2017, 06:11 PM
"Yes this model laptop when turned on will not let me into the BIOS or to the hard drive."

How have you tried to get into the BIOS? I don't understand what you mean by "to the hard drive." Do you mean it won't boot?

Autodave
April 15th, 2017, 07:06 PM
As soon as you power that thing up, start hitting the ESC key and keep hitting hit until it takes. That should get you into the screen that will allow you to hit F10 to get into the bios.