PDA

View Full Version : Using Photoshop and Frontpage is it bad Form?

rattlerviper
August 14th, 2006, 12:54 AM
I know it is a idiotic question, but would it be considred bad form to use Photoshop and Frontpage to create a website that was for a Linux project? NVU looks pretty easy to use, nearly as easy as Frontpage(possibly easier once I am use to it) so I guess what I am asking is would it be bad for to use photoshop. Can anybody point me to some tutorials on GIMP? The only tutorials I have found seem rather remedial.
Thanks in advance.

kostkon
August 14th, 2006, 01:03 AM
The importand thing is not to use Frontpage because it does not create standards compliant code, at least that is a fact I know for a long time, but I'm not so sure for the new versions of the app.

Nvu, as you said, is a good alternative and creates good XHTML code (if you like) and you'll be able to create good CSS based designs with it.

Now for the graphics, it's a good thing to try to make them with Gimp, because it would be a good opportunity for you to learn how to use it; photoshop can wait. But if your project is urgent, you can skip the Gimp thing, but I recommend you not to skip the Nvu thing. IMO ,you'd better avoid Frontpage.

rattlerviper
August 14th, 2006, 01:10 AM
The importand thing is not to use Frontpage because it does not create standards compliant code, at least that is a fact I know for a long time, but I'm not so sure for the new versions of the app.

Nvu, as you said, is a good alternative and creates good XHTML code (if you like) and you'll be able to create good CSS based designs with it.

Now for the graphics, it's a good thing to try to make them with Gimp, because it would be a good opportunity for you to learn how to use it; photoshop can wait. But if your project is urgent, you can skip the Gimp thing, but I recommend you not to skip the Nvu thing. IMO ,you'd better avoid Frontpage.

I did not realize that it did not create standards compliant code. So then if the website I just looked at is accurate I would have created a possibly worthless site for those using anything other than IE? LOL how moronic would that be on my part that the very people I was aiming the project at would be unable to properly view the webpages.

kostkon
August 14th, 2006, 01:24 AM
I did not realize that it did not create standards compliant code. So then if the website I just looked at is accurate I would have created a possibly worthless site for those using anything other than IE? LOL how moronic would that be on my part that the very people I was aiming the project at would be unable to properly view the webpages.

It does not mean that it will not look well in other browsers necessarily, like Firefox, maybe it'll be OK. The main point is that for the sake of good work you want to create a good site with contemporary techniques and not a tag soup site that Frontpage may create for you.

On the other hand, if you use Photoshop or Gimp it does not matter so much, because the result will depend mostly from your ability to make the graphics you want and not so much from the abilities of the program you'll use (my opinion!). These two apps can offer you most of the tools you'll need on the one or other way.

rattlerviper
August 14th, 2006, 01:36 AM
It does not mean that it will not look well in other browsers necessarily, like Firefox, maybe it'll be OK. The main point is that for the sake of good work you want to create a good site with contemporary techniques and not a tag soup site that Frontpage may create for you.

On the other hand, if you use Photoshop or Gimp it does not matter so much, because the result will depend mostly from your ability to make the graphics you want and not so much from the abilities of the program you'll use (my opinion!). These two apps can offer you most of the tools you'll need on the one or other way.

Ok, because the website that I was looking at made it sound as though konqueror and Opera may have problems. I will definantly utilize NVU.

%hMa@?b<C
August 14th, 2006, 01:50 AM
Ok, because the website that I was looking at made it sound as though konqueror and Opera may have problems. I will definantly utilize NVU.

I use nvu for my site! It is easy to use, especially if I dont feel like actually writing the html :-$ dont tell anyone that thats most of the time ;)
But NVU is easy to use, I would compare it to dreamweaver, and I like it better than frontpage (only used it in school though)
Good luck
btw: my site www.theironknuckle.com

rattlerviper
August 14th, 2006, 02:01 AM
I use nvu for my site! It is easy to use, especially if I dont feel like actually writing the html :-$ dont tell anyone that thats most of the time ;)
But NVU is easy to use, I would compare it to dreamweaver, and I like it better than frontpage (only used it in school though)
Good luck
btw: my site www.theironknuckle.com

I try to avoid writing html as well. Not a whole lot of fun is it?

TravisNewman
August 14th, 2006, 04:42 AM
I try to avoid writing html as well. Not a whole lot of fun is it?
BLASPHEMY!!!!

rattlerviper
August 14th, 2006, 05:03 AM
BLASPHEMY!!!!

LOL :shock: I can do it...just not much fun. packaging debs on the otherhand...priceless!

GuitarHero
August 14th, 2006, 05:10 AM
WYSIWYG editors almost never produce nice, clean code. I would say get a linux wysiwyg if you HAVE to use one at all, and use the gimp and a hack for it called gimpshop so you are familiar.

richbarna
August 14th, 2006, 05:33 AM
BLASPHEMY!!!!

Html is dead :-$ Bring out the PHP =D>

Quanta !
http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=221305&highlight=php

TravisNewman
August 14th, 2006, 05:35 AM
Html is dead :-$ Bring out the PHP =D>
YES! Though I've heard people saying that PHP should have never lived, I really like it.

GuitarHero
August 14th, 2006, 05:37 AM
PHP is great, but useless without ol' papa html.

bjweeks
August 14th, 2006, 05:38 AM
Intill a WYSIWYG editor writes the CSS for you, all pages coming out of an editor will suck.

WildTangent
August 14th, 2006, 06:18 AM
Hand-coded XHTML+PHP ftw! http://www.w1ldt4ng3nt.net

But Nvu is good for newbies :)

-Wild

rattlerviper
August 14th, 2006, 06:51 AM
Allright guys I'm going to end up over my head here. PHP? Never even heard of it...XHTML at least I've heard of. though I never used it. HTML I think I can handle. MaybeLOL
GuitarHero thanks for the point at Gimpshop...it makes it useable for me. I was shocked that it was still 2 panels though.

23meg
August 14th, 2006, 07:07 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PHP
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XHTML

rattlerviper
August 14th, 2006, 07:54 AM
Okay, I've read them and they don't seem that dissicult as long as I don't mind taking six months to make the website(just joking). For a relatively simple websiter does it really matter THAT much which one I decide to use? Here's a question for you, which does the google bot handle better?

WildTangent
August 14th, 2006, 08:06 AM
Regular HTML is perfectly acceptable, but XHTML really isn't all that different in syntax to HTML, in fact, it's pretty much the same. The difference is what's allowed or not. Like leaving tags open...that's not allowed. Certain code like the target attribute for anchor tags for example isn't allowed in XHTML 1.0 Strict (Though it is allowed in XHTML 1.0 Transitional). It's worth checking out. Use this (http://validator.w3.org) to validate your code.

-Wild

rattlerviper
August 14th, 2006, 08:24 AM
Regular HTML is perfectly acceptable, but XHTML really isn't all that different in syntax to HTML, in fact, it's pretty much the same. The difference is what's allowed or not. Like leaving tags open...that's not allowed. Certain code like the target attribute for anchor tags for example isn't allowed in XHTML 1.0 Strict (Though it is allowed in XHTML 1.0 Transitional). It's worth checking out. Use this (http://validator.w3.org) to validate your code.

-Wild

So then thoeretically at least XHTML strict would force cleaner code especially as revisions are made to the website by forcing stricter rules? And what is the advantage of PHP? I read the wiki on it, but I'm not clear as to it's advantages.

egon spengler
August 14th, 2006, 01:18 PM
So then thoeretically at least XHTML strict would force cleaner code especially as revisions are made to the website by forcing stricter rules? And what is the advantage of PHP? I read the wiki on it, but I'm not clear as to it's advantages.

Basically PHP works in conjunction with HTML most of the time. It allows to you use logic with your HTML pages i.e. if criteria x is true then display this, otherwise display that

If you're just making static pages that are unlikely to change then you won't really need PHP

rattlerviper
August 14th, 2006, 11:38 PM
Basically PHP works in conjunction with HTML most of the time. It allows to you use logic with your HTML pages i.e. if criteria x is true then display this, otherwise display that

If you're just making static pages that are unlikely to change then you won't really need PHP

Good, one less thing to worry about:)