PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu reinstallation from live cd problem.

auteur
April 10th, 2017, 10:27 PM
I had been running Ubuntu 12.04 for a year or so until I recently decided to upgrade to 14 and then 16 a week later. I was fine in 14 and should have left well enough alone. When I upgraded to 16 I received a "Low Graphics Mode" message suggesting I would need to configure my graphics card and input devices myself. I attempted rebooting, and was prompted to enter a password. I removed the psswd jumper on my old gx280 motherboard, then rebooted. I kept getting the same "low Graphics Mode" message so I decided to do a reinstall from a live cd to a much older version and upgrade from there. The reinstall appears to have worked but now I am prompted to enter a passphrase and password, so essentially I am back where I started.

I would very much appreciate feedback as to how to restore my OS, and/or how to get the "Low Graphics Mode" message back and how to reconfigure (if this is an appropriate fix). I can access the bios, and have been reading the Linux Bible, but beyond this I am stuck.

Thanks in advance to the forum for your help.

RobGoss
April 10th, 2017, 11:08 PM
Hello and welcome, Please see this post here it has some good information on the low graphic mode http://askubuntu.com/questions/141606/how-to-fix-the-system-is-running-in-low-graphics-mode-error

Do you get the low graphic mode when you try installing 16.04.2?

mörgæs
April 11th, 2017, 07:49 AM
Please copy the command
sudo lshw -sanitize > lshw.txt and paste it to the prompt, run it and post the resulting lshw.txt in CODE tags. It will tell us your hardware details.

auteur
April 18th, 2017, 06:04 PM
Thanks RobGoss.
I have read some of the posts you suggested and have copied the commands including "sudo apt-get install --reinstall ubuntu - desktp sudo reboot" and "sudo apt-get autoclean" then "sudo du-sc/*/*lsort-g" to delete unwanted large file content. I'm headed home to give these a try.

Sincerely, Auteur.

auteur
April 18th, 2017, 06:07 PM
Thanks, Morgaes. I'll give this a try.

Sincerely, Auteur.