PDA

View Full Version : About gnome desktop environment

nick1971
April 9th, 2017, 09:28 AM
Hi everyone! Taking into consideration that Ubuntu 18.04 will ship with the gnome desktop environment, what is your suggestion? Should I stick with Ubuntu Gnome or install Ubuntu with the gnome desktop on it? Thank you in advance.

howefield
April 9th, 2017, 09:34 AM
What do you have at the moment ?

Ubuntu 16.04 will be supported till 2021 so a fair bit of water under the bridge before then.

In my opinion the two environments are not massively different so it isn't a huge shock going from one to the other. You could have both environments installed and choose between them at the login screen. My preference fwiw, will be to run Unity till at least 18.04 but have one machine on Gnome just to pick through the tips and hints for using it., eg which are the best extensions to use, if any.

nick1971
April 9th, 2017, 11:00 AM
Thank you for your quick response. For the time being, I'm running Ubuntu Gnome 16.10 and I'm very pleased with it. Should I keep it or move to Ubuntu 16.10 and install the gnome desktop environment in order to be ready for the transition? Thanks again for your interest.

howefield
April 9th, 2017, 11:10 AM
16.10 is supported till July this year so you will have to upgrade at some stage to 17.04 and then on to 17.10 and 18.04 in turn, I'd suggest staying on Ubuntu Gnome until you get to 18.04 when "vanilla" Ubuntu will come with the Gnome desktop environment by default.

There doesn't seem to be a legitimate reason for you to switch in the meantime to Ubuntu (Unity) for now.

nick1971
April 9th, 2017, 11:28 AM
Thank you very much. I'll follow your advice.