PDA

View Full Version : My opinions on why game-inspired movies flop.

RavenOfOdin
August 13th, 2006, 11:16 PM
1. Because the movies end up being too little like the games to really hold a purist's attention, and if they're too much like the games you aren't going to get people who "just want to watch a movie" in the theater.

2. Because movies which seem too alien to moviegoers aren't going to get very far. Such was the case with FF: Spirits Within, which was designed via computer at a time when no one really gave a rat's @$$ about CAD graphics outside of geeks -- incidentally, the exact kind of people who are the polar opposite of "just want to watch a movie" above.

(PS: I'm ashamed to say I actually thought the movie was good. Hell, so what? It had a kick *** theme song made by a rock group with a French-sounding title.

The voice talent was OK, the graphics were good, and I'm also a Final Fantasy nut. :D

Too bad 99.9% of theater audiences thought it was so horrible that Square Enix - or Squaresoft at the time - had to can the Chrono Trigger series in response. >.<)

3. Because "House of the Dead" made the horrible mistake that no movie should ever make - intersperse shots of the cheesy looking game that the movie was named for, throw in a few badly inserted shouts of "RELOAD!" and make the audience squirm in their seats.

Did I forget anything? ;)

fuscia
August 13th, 2006, 11:18 PM
a movie based on minesweeper could rock.

RavenOfOdin
August 14th, 2006, 12:49 AM

I'll pass, thank you. :D

jISh
August 14th, 2006, 01:21 AM
Minesweeper movie...haha.
I don't think there is a problem with the CONCEPT of game based movies, it's just that the execution has failed too many times. I think that if the game has a good storyline to begin with, and you give it a good director and actors, then you will have the same success as if the story was from a novel or from scratch.

Look at movies such as DOOM, the game never had a good story to begin with. Then, the story was completely ruined. Instead of taking what was already there (sci-fi universe, demons from hell, etc) and putting the imagination to work with it, it was changed to some really stupid virus crap.

I know I've seen a couple good movies based off game universes, although I can't recall them right now. I hope the Halo movie will do well, but with Peter Jackson included in the production staff... :)

Not to mention lots of movies based on novels flop as well!

%hMa@?b<C
August 14th, 2006, 01:47 AM
um... I second the minesweeper movie. Set in vietnam, there are people who get paid to clean the mines out, and then some bloody explosions, it woudl be a box office smash!

djsroknrol
August 14th, 2006, 03:06 AM

Or maybe Spider Solitare?

NightwishFreak
August 14th, 2006, 03:21 AM
I'm wondering, what did everyone think of the Silent Hill movie? I personally thought that it was one of the best videogame to movie adaptaions i've ever seen.

djsroknrol
August 14th, 2006, 04:14 AM
I'm wondering, what did everyone think of the Silent Hill movie? I personally thought that it was one of the best videogame to movie adaptaions i've ever seen.

I liked it as well...I also thought Doom wasn't too bad....

TravisNewman
August 14th, 2006, 04:21 AM
doom was bad! VERY bad. But it was fun to watch, and the FPS sequence was incredible.

RavenOfOdin
August 14th, 2006, 04:23 AM

Same here, actually.
They managed to integrate the game with the movie very well.

Doom WAS horrible, though. Virus. . .24th chromosome crap. . .stupid beyond words.

I have yet to render an opinion on Resident Evil, but Milla Jovovich is hot. ;)

GuitarHero
August 14th, 2006, 04:47 AM
Same reason games of movies dont work. Just because a story works in one medium doesnt mean it will work in another. Also companies often just look for a cop out to get more money(Super Mario Brothers Movie anyone? It barely resembled the game!)

djsroknrol
August 14th, 2006, 02:30 PM
doom was bad! VERY bad. But it was fun to watch, and the FPS sequence was incredible.

The first person shooter sequence was outstanding...

mips
August 14th, 2006, 03:16 PM
I enjoyed resident evil and milla jovovich is the hottest woman on the planet so that might have something to do with it. In a similair vain 28days was good but not based on a game per say.

asimon
August 14th, 2006, 03:56 PM
Given the trend for modern multi-milltion dollar hollywood movies to include tons of special effects, but only rather boring dialogs, and no - or only a dorky as dorky can be - story one would imagine that basing movies on fps games should in fact result in great success. I really don't understand why this isn't true. ;-)

RavenOfOdin
August 15th, 2006, 12:10 AM
Same reason games of movies dont work. Just because a story works in one medium doesnt mean it will work in another. Also companies often just look for a cop out to get more money(Super Mario Brothers Movie anyone? It barely resembled the game!)

Yeah. . .what the heck was with that? They managed to make the mushroom guy into a little punk-looking piece of crap. ;)

and milla jovovich is the hottest woman on the planet

oh yeah, especially when she was wearing next to nothing in 5th Element. I forgot to mention that.