PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Cinnamon miniature GUI in 4k

Blix775
April 5th, 2017, 01:31 AM
So I installed Xubuntu and Cinnamon on top of it. A couple of days ago I bought a 4k display and now the launch bar and the menus look too small. I would like to know how to increase their size so I can actually read the words and not misclick while using Cinnamon. I don't want to have to reinstall just for that.

SeijiSensei
April 5th, 2017, 02:29 AM
Do you have a video adapter that supports 4K (https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&IsNodeId=1&Description=4k%20video%20card&bop=And&Order=PRICE&PageSize=60&N=600486270)? Just changing the monitor won't help if the adapter doesn't support that resolution.

If you do have a 4K adapter, what chipset does it use? I'm guessing you would need proprietary drivers (https://www.google.com/search?client=ubuntu&channel=fs&q=nvidia+4k+linux&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8) to make this work.

Blix775
April 6th, 2017, 03:04 AM
I have a GTX 970. The Cable is 4k and Windows allowed me to change the GUI size so that it would look bigger. I just need to find the same feature in Cinnamon.

SeijiSensei
April 7th, 2017, 09:35 PM
Did you install the proprietary driver from NVIDIA? The open-source nouveau driver may not support all the available resolutions.

Skaperen
April 8th, 2017, 05:01 AM
since 4k has smaller pixels, any object with a fixed size in pixels will be smaller in the whole display. what is needed is to increase the size of such objects to a greater number of pixels. this is like going from 640x480 to 1920x1080. the font size might also need to be increased. image viewers should have a zoom capability to handle a range of image sizes. what is useful to know is where (in the settings) to set the sizes of various things in Cinnamon or whatever DE one is using. my display is 1824x1026. i bet i am the only one with that size.

Bucky Ball
April 8th, 2017, 09:42 AM
Additional Drivers and install the (recommended) driver. Reboot.

In apps you should now have the NVidia config app. Open that, select the 4k monitor and change the display resolution to 4096x2160.

Sorry can't give more precise details, but not on my machine at the moment (running a GTX 970).