PDA

View Full Version : Unable To Boot from CD Ubuntu 10.10

bengutengu
April 3rd, 2017, 06:05 PM
I have a CD with Ubuntu 10.10 on it. I've been trying to boot from CD to install Ubuntu on one of my old base unit machines but it's not even detecting the CD at all?
I've verified that the CD has the source files required but it doesn't see the CD at all.

I've done the obvious stuff like giving it a clean but no go.

Please excuse my lack of Ubuntu technical knowledge here, i've successflly installed it on various machines before but on this one it just doesn't detect anything!

yancek
April 3rd, 2017, 06:59 PM
I'm not sure what your intentions are but Ubuntu 10.10 hasn't been supported for over five years.
If the computer on boot does not recognize the CD, check the BIOS to see if it is recognized there. If not, then forget it because if the BIOS does not recognize it nothing will happen. I'm not really sure what you've done to test. Have you put the CD in another computer to test to see if it boots?

blackcommand
April 3rd, 2017, 07:03 PM
Have you tried loading it from a USB Drive? This is the best method for me to load the Operating System but 10.10 is seriously outdated and no-longer supported its best to switch to a later LTS like 16.04.

sudodus
April 3rd, 2017, 07:14 PM
If the computer is old, it is better to try a flavour of Ubuntu with a lighter desktop environment,

- Lubuntu, ultra light
- Ubuntu MATE, medium light
- Xubuntu, medium light

I agree with the previous post, that you should try with a current version of Ubuntu. See this link for more details,

How to select the version and flavour of Ubuntu (https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2230389&p=13540865#post13540865)

RobGoss
April 3rd, 2017, 11:22 PM
Not knowing what kind of machine it is won't help us give you the best possible advice. I would not use a distribution that's so outdated it serves no purpose it's better to install one of the current distributions

If this is a very old machine then as advised a lighter OS might be a better option

Autodave
April 3rd, 2017, 11:49 PM
Did you just copy the files to the DVD? It has to be put on the disc as an iso file.

oldos2er
April 4th, 2017, 04:09 PM
Thread closed. Please install a supported version of Ubuntu, see https://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop

We are unable to support versions which have reached end of life.