PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Unable to install via USB to a HP x360 convertible

vertabreaker2
April 1st, 2017, 12:30 AM
Hey everyone,

First off the laptop I'm working with is a HP x360 convertible model # 13-a110dx

I've been googling and have tried everything that I've found with no success. I have four USB thumb drives (2 x 1GB for network install, 1 128GB, and 1 16GB). I've downloaded the most recent versions of Ubuntu LTS (16.04.2) and non-LTS (16.10) and I've used multiple tools (rufus, poweriso, etc) to make a bootable usb with Ubuntu and I can't seem to get it going. I've turned on legacy support in the bios, and turned off the secure option in the boot options (forget the name...my brain is fried).

Here's the weird thing...I can get to the "test ubuntu before installing" Screen with all of the install options on every USB stick I try...and no matter what I try, it never progresses. It either gets to a black screen with blinking cursor or a backlit screen with nothing....and nothing happens.

The other odd thing I've noticed, is two of the thumb drives have indicator lights...and as soon as I hit enter on "Install Ubuntu" they lights on the thumb drive go nuts...then I get the black screen with / without cursor and I check the thumb drive....no lights. Almost like the laptop just shuts off the usb ports.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!