PDA

View Full Version : Survey on Personality Types and Sense of Community in FOSS projects

tetris4
March 31st, 2017, 10:49 PM
Hi everyone,

My name is Neofytos, am a long time contributor to FOSS communities and an Ubuntu user myself. I have an interest in Community Management and am currently doing a research project investigating the relationship between Personality Types and the Sense of Community in FOSS projects as part of Psychology degree. The survey takes 5-6 minutes, consists mostly of multiple choice questions and it's configured to be completely anonymous. It will be available until at least April 7, 2017.

If you are an active member of the Ubuntu community (or another FOSS community and happen to read this) I would greatly appreciate it if you took the time to complete the survey:
https://openss.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_br0Nzb7UmfYU1EN

Please have in mind:
- The University supports Qualtrics as the survey software, which requires javascript to be enabled to work. Sorry, not much I can do about that.
- To measure the Sense of Community, I use a pre-existing questionnaire that asks some questions regarding the community you are involved and how you feel about it. If you feel more comfortable with not identifying the community, please leave the related box empty on the demographics questions page in the beginning. The only reason I ask this is to have an estimation of the number of communities that participated.
- Am not necessarily looking for developers, just people that are in some way contributing to a project and feel part of its community. It could be just by being active on the forum, giving support to others, bug reporting and troubleshooting, translations, documentation, spreading the word etc.

The results could for example indicate that different approaches and tactics might be needed to enable participation and engagement of people in our FOSS communities, that would be otherwise less inclined to get involved based on some specific characteristics of their personality. I share a bit more information at the end of the survey and I would be more than happy to share the results with you once my final report is completed, just drop me a message.

Feel free to ask me for further info or any other question you may have. :)

Special thanks to the admins for approving this post.