PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Using Conky execpi variable with Bash conditional statement

namruf152
March 31st, 2017, 10:19 AM
I'm trying to write a simple "pinger" script which will periodically try to reach given IP address and output a colored message with information if it is available or not.

I face the problem in which I can't set custom color inside Bash conditional statement. The Bash code has been inserted into execpi variable. Every time when I try to run Conky I get Bash error sh: 1: Bad substitution.

Conky TEXT section:

${color grey}Module_1: ${color}: ${execpi 10 if ping -c 1 -W 2 192.168.1.1 > /dev/null; then echo ${color green}"Success"${color}; else echo ${color red}"Failed"${color}; fi} | ${color grey}Module_2: ${color} ${execpi 10 if ping -c 1 -W 2 192.168.1.2 > /dev/null; then echo ${color green}"Success"${color}; else echo ${color red}"Failed"${color}; fi}

Should the color variable be placed in some different way?

Frogs Hair
March 31st, 2017, 05:03 PM
Have you tried an html color value rather than the word ? I have many different conky themes and multiple colors can be handled different ways.

One way I've done it follows.

# Color scheme #

default_color FF0033
color1 6495ED
color2 ffffff
color3 ff0066

In the cpu line further into the syntax with 2 colors.

${color1}CPU1: ${cpu cpu1}% $alignr${color3}${cpubar cpu1 8,60}

again?
March 31st, 2017, 08:58 PM
Put the conditonal statement in a bash script and escape the "$"s with "\".
(make executable)

#!/bin/sh

#Module1
if ping -c 1 -W 2 192.168.1.1 > /dev/null; then
echo "\${color grey}Module_1: \${color green}Success\${color}"
else
echo "\${color grey}Module_1: \${color red}Failed\${color}"
fi

#Module2
if ping -c 1 -W 2 192.168.1.2 > /dev/null; then
echo "\${color grey}Module_2: \${color green}Success\${color}"
else
echo "\${color grey}Module_2: \${color red}Failed\${color}"
fi

Then call the script in conky using your path to script.

${execpi 10 /path/to/script}

namruf152
April 3rd, 2017, 07:56 AM
Thank you for proposed solution. The problem was with not escaped dollar signs. After I've added the backslashes everything works properly. Topic can be closed.