PDA

View Full Version : Most used Platform by developers

Perfect Storm
March 30th, 2017, 06:47 PM
Interestingly Linux comes in 2nd place of which platform developers choose. It's a survey of 64.000 developers have taken, it also show which language they prefer and a whole lot more.
Good read for those who love statistics.

https://stackoverflow.com/insights/survey/2017/#technology-platforms

https://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=274365&stc=1&d=1490896036

deadflowr
March 30th, 2017, 06:57 PM
I like this one:
https://stackoverflow.com/insights/survey/2017/#work-how-do-you-pronounce-gif

Perfect Storm
March 30th, 2017, 07:01 PM
I like this one:
https://stackoverflow.com/insights/survey/2017/#work-how-do-you-pronounce-gif

I pronounced it with a soft "g," like "jiff"

deadflowr
March 30th, 2017, 07:26 PM
like gift for me.
I'm just dropping the T.

1fallen
March 30th, 2017, 10:14 PM
like gift for me.
I'm just dropping the T.
This is my way also. (FWIW)
And Rock On Linux...:popcorn:

1clue
March 30th, 2017, 10:27 PM
Graphic Image File. "Graphic" has a hard G.

Perfect Storm
April 2nd, 2017, 08:38 PM
Guess I pronounced it wrong. Back to school with me :P

bengutengu
April 4th, 2017, 11:51 PM
that's interesting, I really thought AWS would be higher up on the list considering the demand from expertise in the IT market.

TheFu
April 5th, 2017, 12:22 AM
Interesting to see what people consider a "platform."
Is Azure or AWS really a "platform?"

Different minds come up with different answers.

Asking 64 people doesn't seem very exhaustive for a poll, especially when it is self-selecting. I must be missing something. ;)

yetimon_64
April 5th, 2017, 12:38 AM
...Asking 64 people doesn't seem very exhaustive for a poll, especially when it is self-selecting. I must be missing something. :wink:

Yep, you missed a "K" after the 64 there :-) ... 64 000 is the figure of respondents.

From AI's link in the first post ...

This year represents the largest group of respondents in our history: 64,000 developers took our annual survey in January.

oldos2er
April 6th, 2017, 04:23 PM
I've always said "jif" too, since that's the way its creator pronounced it.

sp40140
April 18th, 2017, 02:54 PM
Something doesn't add up here!
"Platform used by developers". Well you can have any OS running on AWS/Azur or any cloud provider. So, does that mean they used two platforms? cause you do need an os to develop.
Also, linux desktop used is quite surprising. From my (considerably big) experience, even though developers like/love linux, they usually use windows or apple to develop. Simply because companies don't support linux desktops ( yes, some do but not enough to show up on any surveys).

Still, I admit that I am glad to see linux (specially desktop) right up there.

izznogooood
April 18th, 2017, 06:49 PM
that's interesting, I really thought AWS would be higher up on the list considering the demand from expertise in the IT market.

I see a lot of people taking AWS exams but is there really such a demand World Wide, or is this more relevant over "there" as we pronounce USA. I mean isn't it a bit risky basing ones education on one company?

1clue
April 18th, 2017, 07:26 PM
I see a lot of people taking AWS exams but is there really such a demand World Wide, or is this more relevant over "there" as we pronounce USA. I mean isn't it a bit risky basing ones education on one company?

FWIW this sort of scenario has been active for as long as computers have been in the private sector.

Programming for Microsoft, Apple, any private corporation with direction from a single source is pretty much the same thing.

IMO people should chase those platforms where a demand exists, and get paid. But never ever should you assume this is the only place you will ever work. Always keep tabs on what the entire computing industry does, as well as the basic market you find yourself working for.

Wadim_Korneev
May 1st, 2017, 09:12 AM
I read next:
Last year, Mac edged ahead of the Linuxes as the number 2 operating system among developers. This year it became clear that trend is real. If OS adoption rates hold steady, by next year's survey fewer than 50% of developers may be using Windows.
Speaking of the Linuxes, Ubuntu is tops among them with 12.3% of the entire OS market for developers. Fedora, Mint, and Debian accounted for 1.4%, 1.7%, and 1.9% of all responses, respectively.