PDA

View Full Version : No calendar picture this month?

Paul Sinnett
April 3rd, 2005, 12:40 AM
I got bored waiting so I made my own. :-)

macewan
April 3rd, 2005, 01:36 AM
this the official Breezy Badger logo?

Xian
April 3rd, 2005, 04:18 AM
I really wish that I hadn't looked. Gulp. :)

primeirocrime
April 3rd, 2005, 05:46 AM
very nice... Island of Dr.Moreau anyone?

TravisNewman
April 3rd, 2005, 07:13 AM
Uuuhhh... Whatever that thing is, I think it needs to be shot and put out of it's misery.

Not dissing your artwork, you did a good job! What you've created, however, is one of the scariest things I've seen ;)

Lustiger Lurch
April 3rd, 2005, 03:30 PM
well, I like the March-Girl, so it is ok for me

james_mad
April 3rd, 2005, 04:33 PM
Pff, someone tell these developers to stop working on the next release and get us a new wallpaper :razz:

kassetra
April 3rd, 2005, 06:07 PM
Not dissing your artwork, you did a good job! What you've created, however, is one of the scariest things I've seen ;)

I believe you have a lot of skill in order to mesh your art in with that background, but I have to agree with panickedthumb, it's quite freaky. :)

Paul Sinnett
April 3rd, 2005, 07:06 PM
Uuuhhh... Whatever that thing is, I think it needs to be shot and put out of it's misery.

It's interesting you choose those words. When I was searching google images for pictures of warthogs, there were a lot of people celebrating their kills. Attached is a typical example. I see ugliness in these pictures but perhaps it's different to the ugliness you see?

Coming from somebody with a face on their thumb, I think that's quite a compliment. :-)

james_mad
April 3rd, 2005, 07:50 PM
That picture is quite worth of being an ubuntu wallpaper. It has the two required things: A warthog, and a pretty lady.

kassetra
April 3rd, 2005, 07:56 PM
It's interesting you choose those words. When I was searching google images for pictures of warthogs, there were a lot of people celebrating their kills. Attached is a typical example. I see ugliness in these pictures but perhaps it's different to the ugliness you see?

Oh no, that image is ugly beyond any words - and that a woman is smiling in it makes it worse to me.

I think what panickedthumb meant is that the other image reminded him of some kind of mutated-animal-horror movie... even if the artwork is phenominal.

Paul Sinnett
April 3rd, 2005, 09:54 PM
I think what panickedthumb meant is that the other image reminded him of some kind of mutated-animal-horror movie... even if the artwork is phenominal.

Thanks for the compliments. But I only really did it to learn how to use the Gimp. It was quite fun though... I probably spent more time painting in wrinkles and blemishes than the original artist spent removing them :-) ... maybe I should join the Deviants, there seem to be a few here.

First, though, I want to try out Inkscape. I used it a while ago but it was full of bugs back then. Hopefully it is a bit more stable now. Maybe I'll have a crack at a mascot...

kassetra
April 3rd, 2005, 10:18 PM
First, though, I want to try out Inkscape. I used it a while ago but it was full of bugs back then. Hopefully it is a bit more stable now. Maybe I'll have a crack at a mascot...

I'm glad to see that you understood that we were trying to tell you how great your artwork was even if we didn't like the end result. :)

Inkscape is pretty usable (for me) now... and I'd like to see what you come up with for a mascot! :)

TravisNewman
April 4th, 2005, 02:13 AM
I'm glad to see that you understood that we were trying to tell you how great your artwork was even if we didn't like the end result. :)

Inkscape is pretty usable (for me) now... and I'd like to see what you come up with for a mascot! :)
Yeah totally, it took some talent (talent that I most definitely do NOT have) to mesh those two images. I'm seriously impressed. But that's just asking to be a character in a horror movie.

And about the image of the warthogs getting killed-- I despise hunting, especially hunting for sport. I don't understand how anyone can be proud of killing a defenseless animal with a gun. Now, if you killed a bobcat with your bare hands (or maybe a knife, to even the odds), then that's something to brag about (though I don't know why you'd want to). It's still brutal though, and it's beyond me how people can embrace this horrific brutality.

Paul Sinnett
April 4th, 2005, 10:33 PM

Hahaha. I actually got that straight away, but I didn't get that you guys didn't get that I'd already got it... until now. :)

Anyway, I was checking out the deviant art site and I see that you're also a deviant. But you haven't submitted much. Was there a problem? I read through the article on Wikipedia and it says something about a 43 page policy manual! Sounds like a lot of red-tape...

Speaking of which... what is the copyright on the original calendar artwork? Is it CreativeCommons? Would I be allowed to license a derived work under CreativeCommons?

DarkSilver
April 6th, 2005, 11:45 AM
we are the 6th... no new wallpaper :( :( :(

link
April 6th, 2005, 08:26 PM
I'd wait until the 8th or 9th before I'd start complaining. I bet the release team has a lot more on their plate than a new calandar wallpaper.