PDA

View Full Version : Help finding printer/scanner that can copy+zoom without computer

The Cog
March 22nd, 2017, 09:03 PM
I am looking for a printer/scanner for my mother that can be used as a photocopier, without ever being connected to a computer.
The requirement is that it be able to copy black+white or colour, with a selectable zoom level.
I have my eyes on an Epson WF2750DWF, where the manual says is has a copy function with selectable percentage zoom, but it does not specifically state that this can be done standalone rather than being commanded from a computer.
I went to our local brick and mortar store today, they had one on display but would not confirm this function, and would not let me power on the display sample to let me check for myself.

Can anyone confirm whether this printer can do it, or name another make/model that can?
Thanks.

1fallen
March 22nd, 2017, 09:14 PM
Well if these are still around: I have an HP PSC2410. It can do many things on it's own. It has a
small LCD screen to help set it up, and is used with previewing pictures
from memory cards. You can do copies (B&W or Color), faxes, print
pictures from memory cards, all without a computer. Some other HP models
without the LCD can print out thumbnails from a memory card, then you
fill in ovals and have it scan the printout back in. It uses that to
choose which photos to print.
Found here: http://h10010.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/product?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&product=303753

The Cog
March 22nd, 2017, 09:37 PM
Thanks for that, 1fallen.
Can it do zooming? Zooming is critical for my Mum - she needs to enlarge things like sewing patterns so she can read them better. She's happy to move a page around on the scanner until the right part is in the corner that gets zoomed, no need for a fancy "select area to zoom" type function.

Edit: It looks like these are no longer available anyway.

1fallen
March 22nd, 2017, 09:44 PM
Gosh! I'll have to get back to you on that...When I get home I will double check that.
I want to say yes automatically...but this old mind of mine could use a good Defrag.:)
EDIT: Seen This.

Edit: It looks like these are no longer available anyway.
that's a shame...as mine has given me years of problem-free usage.

Edit#2 Well if you don't mind Refurbished, or even another option to consider.
Ebay has a few: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=HP+PSC2410&_sacat=0

SeijiSensei
March 22nd, 2017, 10:02 PM
How about a Brother? http://www.brother-usa.com/MFC/ModelDetail/4/MFCJ480DW/spec

From those specs: "Reduction/enlargement: 25% - 400% in 1% increments"

$61.25 at Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/Brother-MFC-J480DW-Wireless-All-One/dp/B014U39MV0/).

1clue
March 23rd, 2017, 03:09 AM
Pretty sure the magic phrase you're looking for is "all-in-one."

Also be sure that there are drivers for your printer before you buy it. I have a Canon MF8050Cn all-in-one color laser printer, which has good support now (it's about 7 years old I think) but the first year or so I couldn't get it to work on any operating system I owned for lack of driver support. They said "Expected in 2 weeks" when I looked on the website before buying, but it said that for at least a year after I bought it, never changed. So IMO be cautious about Canon.

1clue
March 23rd, 2017, 03:10 AM
Oh yeah, IMO it's extremely worth it to get a printer with direct network connectivity.

kurt18947
March 23rd, 2017, 06:55 AM
I agree with SeijiSensei about Brother. I have/ had a few inkjet models and they are all pretty similar and all support stand alone copying with zoom. And they all work well with linux. Other brands may be as good or better but I have no experience with them.

The Cog
March 23rd, 2017, 12:41 PM
SeijiSensei and kurt18947:
Thanks for the Brother reference. But I'm really looking for someone who can say "I have xxx model, and it does copy and zoom when used standalone". Yes, I am being pedantic but then so is my Mum.

1clue:
I don't care if it has drivers or wi-fi as it will never be connected to a computer in any way. Even the need for a once-off computer connection to do a setup procedure rules it out.

1clue
March 24th, 2017, 05:23 PM
Then why pay for the computer interface? Just get a photocopier.

The Cog
March 24th, 2017, 08:11 PM
Then why pay for the computer interface? Just get a photocopier.

I looked. As far as I can see, a plain photocopier is several times the size and price of an all-in-one printer/scanner, probably because plain photocopiers are seen as business machines and not home machines.

1clue
March 24th, 2017, 09:01 PM
http://www.staples.com/Brother-Compact-Laser-Multi-Function-Copier-DCP-L2540DW-Refurbished/product_1713580

kurt18947
March 26th, 2017, 02:29 PM
SeijiSensei and kurt18947:
Thanks for the Brother reference. But I'm really looking for someone who can say "I have xxx model, and it does copy and zoom when used standalone". Yes, I am being pedantic but then so is my Mum.

1clue:
I don't care if it has drivers or wi-fi as it will never be connected to a computer in any way. Even the need for a once-off computer connection to do a setup procedure rules it out.

Nothing wrong with pedantic, that describes SWMBO pretty well. The model referenced by SeijiSensei, Brother MFC-J480DW will do what you ask. For those of us in Yankeestan(US), Best Buy has a Brother MFC-J485DW. That appears identical to the MFC-J480DW sold by Staples. Having different model numbers, they don't have to price match even though the machines are identical. Some Brother printers have a max scan area of (approx) 8 1/2" X 11" but will print to A3/Ledger size at not much of a price premium. That might be handy for enlarging patterns.

If there are people reading this that might be interested in connecting this model to a PC, mine had an interesting trick. The machine is connected to SWMBOs machine via USB. My desktop machine has a Brother MFC-6490CW installed plus networked Samsung laser. I installed SWMBOs Brother then went to print something on my machine. SWMBO's Brother MFC-J485DW was on the list of available printers. I tried printing to it and it worked as expected, including duplexing. Print/File sharing is not enabled on either PC. I'm not certain if that's good or bad from a security perspective but certainly doesn't support the "printers are really hard to install on Ubuntu" line.