PDA

View Full Version : new *buntu... fubuntu?

FitzChivalry
August 13th, 2006, 05:09 PM
For those who like FVWM2 for its simplicity, would it not be cool to have a fubuntu distro with all the menus, etc customized for fvwm?

Thought it might be a good idea for a future *buntu :)

~ xen

bjweeks
August 13th, 2006, 05:13 PM
xubuntu has the same goal, no?

Terracotta
August 13th, 2006, 05:31 PM
xubuntu has the same goal, no?
yup and they would love to work together with the ubuntulite people, they are also looking for people to help them with other lightweight window managers, I think.

atrus123
August 13th, 2006, 05:51 PM
yup and they would love to work together with the ubuntulite people, they are also looking for people to help them with other lightweight window managers, I think.

Ubuntulite doesn't look too alive at the moment.

I would like to see some more development on ebuntu, but unfortunately I fear that the e17 enthusiasm has been almost completely usurped by xgl/compiz.

jpkotta
August 13th, 2006, 08:47 PM
For those who like FVWM2 for its simplicity, would it not be cool to have a fubuntu distro with all the menus, etc customized for fvwm?

Thought it might be a good idea for a future *buntu :)

~ xen

FVWM is simple? I find it to be one of the most complex WMs out there. That complexity gives it unlimited possibilities, though, and that's why I love it.

I love the fact that my FVWM set up is mine; I made it, it's perfect for me. Not that I want to exclude anyone -- I've posted things I've come up with on the mailing list and forums. But FVWM is all about tweaking and customizing, which doesn't really lend itself to a standard distribution.

Personally, I don't care for the "Ubuntu look", but maybe some one could make an FVWM theme of it (or maybe someone already has).

By the way, the menus are already customized, via the Debian menu system. Take a look at https://help.ubuntu.com/community/FVWM.