PDA

View Full Version : Ryzen or i7700

Perfect Storm
March 16th, 2017, 10:50 AM
If you could choose between the two which one?
I can't decide, the latest game test shows that i7700 scrore higer than Ryzen and again Ryzen scores higher when do other jobs like compiling etc.
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=amd-ryzen-gaming&num=1

The i7700 is 4 cores
Ryzen is 8 cores

It's a difficult choice.

QIII
March 16th, 2017, 04:20 PM
Right now there are several threads on the forums where users have paperweights because they cannot get Ubjntu to run on Ryzens. Fedora, however, seems fine.

I suspect some installation misunderstanding, but just so you are aware.

Personally, I'm going for a Ryzen because the kinks will be worked out.

uNoubu8a
March 16th, 2017, 10:21 PM
It all depends on the main purpose of your system. If you will mainly be gaming then the i7700 is the way to go as its threads run at a much greater clock speed (and it is cheaper than the AMD CPU). If multi-threaded applications are your main concern than 8 cores > 4 cores :p

Perfect Storm
March 17th, 2017, 07:27 AM
I do heavy gaming like Total Warhammer and xcom2 on linux.

mastablasta
March 17th, 2017, 08:02 AM
i will likely go with ryzen 5 when it comes out. it is slightly chepaer than intel equivalent. ok maybe it ownt' do as good in games, but as i found out recently it is mostly more important to have a good GPU than CPU for games.

lately i've been running well plenty games from 2008, 2009 on a single core CPU (in windows). they would mostly run on max settings or close to that (which is good enough for me). the reason i am able to do that is the GPU.

there was a good article a while back on how to build good gaming PC under 500 GBP. they added monster GPU, good ram, SSD and a pentiumG CPU. this is basically how the consoles work (strong GPU deswcent CPU).

so with Ryzen 5 and descent GPU (well what the budget will allow) i can get together a descent PC that will also be able to edit a few videos. that's what i was thinking. and it shoul dcome cheaper than intel i5.
Maybe it should even be a ryzen 3?

it all depends on the budget in my case which might be quite slim.

overall it seems to me that with Ryzen AMD is back in the game, add opensource support to GPUs and i start thinking (more like dreaming) about AMD/AMD rather than Intel/Nvidia :)

Old_Grey_Wolf
March 17th, 2017, 11:50 AM
If you plan to dual boot with Windows 7 or 8.1, consider this article (https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/03/microsoft-is-getting-ready-to-block-windows-updates-for-old-windows-on-new-chips/).

Perfect Storm
March 17th, 2017, 12:36 PM
Thanks, but I'm going pure Linux. (I save 999.- DKK).

Perfect Storm
March 18th, 2017, 08:03 AM
I think I'm going with Ryzen. If ubuntu and its like have trouble with the chipset I could go with Arch (been there before).
Hopefully the issues will be iron out and better performance added soon.

Perfect Storm
March 18th, 2017, 11:43 AM
I was thinking for build:
Chip: AMD Ryzen 7 1800X / 3.6 GHz Processor
Board: ASUS PRIME X370-PRO
Ram: Kingston HyperX Predator - 2x8GB DDR4 3200MHz
Video: ASUS GeForce GTX1080ti 8GB
SSD: Samsung 850 EVO MZ-75E500 - 2.5″ SATA-600 500GB

Anything I shuld be careful or awere of?

uNoubu8a
March 18th, 2017, 10:33 PM
As much as I love the AMD comeback the i7700 is a very nice chip, very tempting.

SantaFe
March 18th, 2017, 10:37 PM
Me, I'm an admitted Intel fan boy, so I'd pick the i7700. ;) Besides, I WANT my Ubjntu to work right out of the box. :D

1fallen
March 18th, 2017, 10:44 PM
As much as I love the AMD comeback the i7700 is a very nice chip, very tempting.

+2 Just to close right now for me to even offer my view or even a tie breaker?
I have used a chums Tower with the i7700 in it...good grief...I swear it could run a Whole City.:P
Can't wait to see the fully working and properly suported Ryzen in action though.:) (Linux)

Perfect Storm
March 19th, 2017, 07:47 AM
Me, I'm an admitted Intel fan boy, so I'd pick the i7700. ;) Besides, I WANT my Ubjntu to work right out of the box. :D

That's a good point, if I go with Ryzen i have to wait for Ryzen gets fully supported + motherboard. Ryzen get supported in 4.10,4.11 but how well?

sp40140
March 20th, 2017, 10:29 PM
One thing people overlook is :how many years are you going to keep this machine? If you plan to keep if for long time, then I suggest AMD. As it offers more cores, and eventually in future games will start utilizing all the cores better (as opposed to today where not all cores are used and few get overworked and cause bottleneck). So, short team Intel is better as AMD is still fixing the chipset issues and kernel 4.10 is bit out in future.
There are many other things to consider, but I point this out as it gets overlooked.
I don't love either Intel or AMD. I like the one which is better and suits my needs better. Until Ryzen came out, I would never recommand AMD to anyone it was nowhere near Intel. Ryzen is changing it. Good to see competition.

mastablasta
March 21st, 2017, 01:44 PM
games, thoguh often having breaking tech, also need to cater "causual" gamers. which is why many would still have Vista or Windows 7 support. some even support windows xp. and with that, there are many times when they are looking good with both options. still on the very long term, better/same CPU for lower price, might be a better choice.

i bought that single core AMD as i i planned to add Phenom later on. by the time i had money for it they stopped selling them. :-/ but as it turns out this single core can run many games well. as long as it it has a half descent GPU. maybe i am not on ultra and maybe some games are old but they run ok.

March 24th, 2017, 10:22 AM
I can choose with this proper reason:

It's not funny at all when running virtualbox with i7 I can just spare
2-3 core within 4 cores. But it feel like running i3 on virtualbox.
I can spare 4-7 cores within 8 cores from virtualbox jobs without lag my main os.
Instead of worry about cpu you better worry about choosing GPU support.
Since nvidia have driver that work on various distro.
But AMD GPU Pro only work on Ubuntu 16.04 but not on Debian or non deb distros.

For Lintels users there's nothing to worry about these 2
Since you don't need w10 anyway also Intel kabylake force you to run w10 your only choice left is on Linux.
But AMD Ryzen make their own driver for w7-w10 so Linux wouldn't be a problem.
Otherwise amd64 iso on many distro won't need to be rename like this would rather to be rename IA64
It'd would be fraud if linux amd64.iso doesn't work with AMD. :lol: