PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] dual booting

12cherith
March 12th, 2017, 10:18 PM
I have windows 10 installed on one partition and wish to install ubuntu 16.04 on another partition. However on bootup only windows is availabe. How can I install ubuntu and see both windows and ubuntu on bootup .Also when this happens how do I retrieve the ubuntu partition when only windows is available.

RobGoss
March 12th, 2017, 10:43 PM
Hello and welcome, Have you already installed Ubuntu on the second partition?

Is your machine UEFI? these questions are most important if you're trying to dual boot your system

Take a look at Oldfred's UEFI tips before you attempt to dual boot your system https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295 please make sure you have a full understand how this is done to prevent damaging your Windows's installation

yancek
March 12th, 2017, 11:25 PM
I would also suggest you read the Ubuntu documentation on dual booting windows/Ubuntu UEFI which is most likely what you have IF windows 10 was pre-installed. Also, it isn't clear from your post whether you are just planning to install or have a failed attempt.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI

12cherith
March 13th, 2017, 03:22 AM
No I don't believe that my comp[uter has UEFI. I have had numerous failed attempts where only windows loaded in the boot menu.In the current install I got as far as the partitioning found I couldn't install side by side so pulled out. The point is if I do install and only windows boot how do I retrieve ubuntu?
Many Thanks

RobGoss
March 13th, 2017, 10:34 AM
If your machine is not UEFI then most likely it's Legacy, if this is the case you should still be able to setup a dual boot system

Please tell us in details what steps have you already taken to install Ubuntu and what the specs are for your machine, Model, Ram, Video chip,

How are you creating the partition to install Ubuntu? are you using Windows Disk management tool to create it

What method are you using to create the Ubuntu's ISO file meaning what program?

oldfred
March 13th, 2017, 04:02 PM
From live installer post this.

sudo parted -l