PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] thinkpad 13 and ubuntu

benedi89ideneb
March 7th, 2017, 11:17 PM
Hi all! I have a question:
I saw that there are many problems recently on dual boot with linux on ideapad and other models.
I don't find anything on thinkpad 13 2Gen, and I was wondering if someone has already tried to install ubuntu near windows 10 (I don't want to erase at all windows, if this is possible!).

In particular I don't know if there will be difference between these two models:
- SSD 256 GB, SATA3, OPAL 2.0
- SSD PCIe-NVMe 512 GB OPAL 2.0.

I have some difficulties in understanding if the responsible for the problems between ubuntu and ideapad is only the bios (radi-ahci), or if the different ssd storage is also responsible in some way.

Last, I also read that the new Microsoft Signature Edition on the new Lenovo models is the real responsible for that big issue. I don't know what I have to think!!

Someone has some advices?
Thank you very much!

gordintoronto
March 8th, 2017, 11:23 PM
If you search hard enough, you will find every model of every computer has problems with Linux. In most cases, the problem is the person doing the typing.

Have a look at this review:
https://era86.github.io/2016/11/26/a-quick-review-of-the-lenovo-thinkpad-13.html

You can either shrink the Windows partition to make space for Linux, or you can install in a virtual machine, or you can install to an external drive.. Please do a lot of reading about this before you try it for real. It's easy to wipe out the current contents of your computer.

I have lots of experience with Linux on older Thinkpads, and it has always worked perfectly. (Mostly Xubuntu or Mint Mate.)

benedi89ideneb
March 8th, 2017, 11:55 PM
Thank you very much!!!
Yeah I know that almost every computer has some problems with Linux ... :)
...but for Ideapad I read it was very big the issue! I already had on my old pc a partition windows 7-ubuntu.