PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 16.04 LTS currently; update to Ubuntu 16.04.02 LTS solves Ubuntu Software?

Umgb
March 6th, 2017, 09:30 AM
Ubuntu Software does NOT run under Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, which I currently have. --> would an update to Ubuntu 16.04.02 LTS solve this malfunctioning Ubuntu Software?

howefield
March 6th, 2017, 10:28 AM
Ubuntu Software does NOT run under Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, which I currently have. --> would an update to Ubuntu 16.04.02 LTS solve this malfunctioning Ubuntu Software?

There have been many fixes to the Ubuntu Software application, just run the normal updates which will take you to 16.04.2 and you'll get them.

What's the output of..

cat /etc/*-release

Umgb
March 6th, 2017, 12:51 PM
Hello UCG, (ah! Steptoe: those were the days...)

I'm a beginner with Terminal commands. But, here's the output from "cat /etc/*-release":
--------------------------

DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
DISTRIB_RELEASE=16.04
DISTRIB_CODENAME=xenial
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu 16.04.2 LTS"
NAME="Ubuntu"
VERSION="16.04.2 LTS (Xenial Xerus)"
ID=ubuntu
ID_LIKE=debian
PRETTY_NAME="Ubuntu 16.04.2 LTS"
VERSION_ID="16.04"
HOME_URL="http://www.ubuntu.com/"
SUPPORT_URL="http://help.ubuntu.com/"
BUG_REPORT_URL="http://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/"
VERSION_CODENAME=xenial
UBUNTU_CODENAME=xenialen
--------------------------
'Tis quite a misleading list, with both 16.04 and 16.04.2 there. The latter with Xenial Xerus - but that's Klakkity Klak (I think), surely?
If I do indeed already have 16.04.2 LTS, I wonder why Ubuntu Software initially functioned, but no longer so.
--> Then, I would appreciate advice on reactivating this often-useful program.
Thank you.

Umgb
March 9th, 2017, 02:05 PM
Some three days ago, I was given a helpful interim reply to my query. I have yet to find assistance regarding my query with my output listing, which I included.
Being held in limbo is frustrating.

howefield
March 9th, 2017, 02:14 PM
A simple bump once a day, even slightly more often than that is acceptable to move your post back up to the top of the list.

So, showing 16.04.2 is good but have you updated recently ?

sudo apt update

sudo apt upgrade

If you still have an issue after that, then try running the Ubuntu Software via a terminal, you'll often get some clues as to what is happening in the terminal output..

ubuntu-software

Umgb
March 9th, 2017, 02:25 PM
Thank you.
I pasted the command "sudo apt update", but after typing the PW, I received this message: "mgb is not in the sudoers file. This incident will be reported." I'm sure this can be easily rectified. But, having almost no knowledge of the commands -- even useful ones -- I would appreciate advice on this problem, too.
--> What is the difference between "sudo apt update" and "sudo apt upgrade"?
Sorry to drag you deeper into the quagmire.

howefield
March 9th, 2017, 02:32 PM
I pasted the command "sudo apt update", but after typing the PW, I received this message: "mgb is not in the sudoers file. This incident will be reported." I'm sure this can be easily rectified. But, having almost no knowledge of the commands -- even useful ones -- I would appreciate advice on this problem, too.
--> What is the difference between "sudo apt update" and "sudo apt upgrade"?

The update commands ensures that your system is aware of the newest packages versions in order that it will know what to upgrade, the upgrade command will as it implies will install those newer packages.

Do you have other user accounts on the machine ?

Umgb
March 9th, 2017, 05:58 PM
I have two accounts, one of which you already know: "mgb", which has normal rights. The second, "xy", possesses Admin rights. Then, there's "root"... But, Admin rights suffice, surely?

howefield
March 9th, 2017, 07:02 PM
I have two accounts, one of which you already know: "mgb", which has normal rights. The second, "xy", possesses Admin rights. Then, there's "root"... But, Admin rights suffice, surely?

So, carry out the update and upgrade from the the xy account to ensure that your system is current.

Umgb
March 9th, 2017, 10:38 PM
Booted with xy (Admin) account and carried out both update then upgrade. Ubuntu Software started successfully. BUT: when using the standard mgb account, starting US was unsuccessful. So I ran "ubuntu-software" in the Terminal, which resulted in the blinking white cursor on a new line, but without any prompt. After blinking about 10 times, the cursor remained with no further text appearing. --> Performing this same Terminal command under the xy account had been successful.
So using Admin rights, US functions normally; using mgb (normal rights), US cannot be started.

efflandt
March 11th, 2017, 02:18 AM
If you want mgb to be able to do things that require more privileges (sudo), as xy add mgb to sudo group:
sudo gpasswd -a mgb sudo

howefield
March 11th, 2017, 02:57 PM
Booted with xy (Admin) account and carried out both update then upgrade. Ubuntu Software started successfully. BUT: when using the standard mgb account, starting US was unsuccessful. So I ran "ubuntu-software" in the Terminal, which resulted in the blinking white cursor on a new line, but without any prompt. After blinking about 10 times, the cursor remained with no further text appearing. --> Performing this same Terminal command under the xy account had been successful.
So using Admin rights, US functions normally; using mgb (normal rights), US cannot be started.

Irrespective, something is "wrong" with the mgb account, even without admin priveliges you should still be able to open the Ubuntu Software application. The only restriction is that your account won't be able to install anything but you would be prompted for the password belonging to the xy account.

I'd create a test account on the machine (name it whatever you want) from the Admin account.

sudo adduser tester

Go through the prompts pressing enter for all except the password entry where you should give it one, then switch to that account - can it open Ubuntu Software ?

sudo adduser tester
[sudo] password for hugh:
Adding user `tester' ...
Adding new group `tester' (1002) ...
Adding new user `tester' (1002) with group `tester' ...
Creating home directory `/home/tester' ...
Copying files from `/etc/skel' ...
Enter new UNIX password:
Retype new UNIX password:
passwd: password updated successfully
Changing the user information for tester
Enter the new value, or press ENTER for the default
Full Name []:
Room Number []:
Work Phone []:
Home Phone []:
Other []:
Is the information correct? [Y/n]

Umgb
March 11th, 2017, 03:44 PM
Thank you, gentlemen, for your replies. I have stored the "sudo" command, a useful one. Regarding the more detailed suggested test account in dealing with Ubuntu Software not opening under the mgb normal-user, I'm feeling under the weather, but hope to give you feedback within a few days.

Gstrazds
March 11th, 2017, 11:25 PM
Quote BUT: when using the standard mgb account, starting US was unsuccessful. So I ran "ubuntu-software" in the Terminal, which resulted in the blinking white cursor on a new line, but without any prompt. After blinking about 10 times, the cursor remained with no further text appearing. --> Performing this same Terminal command under the xy account had been successful. endquote

I just had this; In Grub I went back to Ubuntu version ending in 63 under advanced ubuntu options.. which caused the software updaters to work; then re-updated;

I was also trying to install the Dconf-editor which now will not populate.

Umgb
March 13th, 2017, 02:38 PM
Well. H, the tester account was able to open Ubuntu Software.
As 16.04.2 LTS has, presumably, addressed the Ubuntu Software problem, I'm inclined to flatten the HDD and re-install this latest version. It'll save us both your time and mine - and save our patience.
Is there anything new that I have to be aware of when installing this latest?

Umgb
March 13th, 2017, 02:41 PM
Thank you, G, for your offer. But I will await H's comment, before making a new installation of the latest LTS.

Umgb
March 15th, 2017, 09:31 AM
An additional snippet of information.
My Ubuntu has been sluggish of late, and today the boot screen (white text on black) showed some text. Unfortunately, I could hardly register what was stated - half a dozen lines, with something about a journal.

howefield
March 15th, 2017, 10:23 AM
Well, certainly reinstalling is an option which if well prepared takes not much more than half an hour but it is a sledgehammer approach :)

You could create another account as above and use that, having backed up your important data then copy into the new account. But if the "tester" account is affected by sluggishness also then there is that to consider. Does the performance suffer beyond the boot process ? You might use the disks utility to test the disk.

Umgb
March 16th, 2017, 09:21 AM
Your perseverance -- and patience -- is appreciated.
--> I agree about the sledge-hammer method. But, it is an option that is becoming more concrete, with mgb being sluggish even after booting. (Can one do a Screen Shot of the boot-screen text?)
I did want to remove some utilities, but, due to not being able to start US, I have to bear with that "braking system"; I imagine that one can do so via Terminal commands, but, I do not know them. Any help in this regard, please? (I'm building quite a command reference library!)
--> A backup of mgb's "important" data involves copying Home - is that correct?
--> I will check tester for any sluggishness.
--> I started the disks utility, but could not find "SMART Data & Self Tests...." on the dear icon, as suggested in GNOME Help. This tells me open Disks from the Activities - this latter nowhere to be found - I simply opened Disks.

howefield
March 16th, 2017, 09:37 AM
Your perseverance -- and patience -- is appreciated.

You're more than welcome to what little I can offer.

I agree about the sledge-hammer method. But, it is an option that is becoming more concrete, with mgb being sluggish even after booting. (Can one do a Screen Shot of the boot-screen text?)

I guess not easily although you could browse the log files which is found in..

/var/log/boot.log

I did want to remove some utilities, but, due to not being able to start US, I have to bear with that "braking system"; I imagine that one can do so via Terminal commands, but, I do not know them. Any help in this regard, please? (I'm building quite a command reference library!)

Not sure what you are saying here or referring to ?

A backup of mgb's "important" data involves copying Home - is that correct?

Well, yes. At the least you would want to back up your data, ie Documents, Downloads, Music, Pictures and Videos folder plus any other that you created. You should have this in any event given than one copy of a file is an accident waiting to happen. Taking a copy of your /home folder covers this plus all the configuration files/folders contained therein.

I started the disks utility, but could not find "SMART Data & Self Tests...." on the dear icon, as suggested in GNOME Help. This tells me open Disks from the Activities - this latter nowhere to be found - I simply opened Disks.

From the "hamburger" menu near the top right corner select "SMART Data & Self Test" or use the keyboard shortcut of Ctrl + S.

Umgb
March 23rd, 2017, 08:15 AM
I performed all the suggested and posted the results quite some time ago. But, now I see there's nothing to show for it here. Funny.
Firstly, I have executed an update/upgrade. Does this include ALL active apps/programs, such as Firefox?
With tester , one could start US; this remains impos sible with mgb and xy. Fr ustrating.
Disks ran successfully, with nothing untoward to show.
With my unfortunately worded text about removing unnecessary, I had suggested that these might be factors influencing the sluggish nature of the iX running under mgb. As US is unaccessible, I wondered whether this task could be by Terminal commands.

--> In the meantime, I had >60 open tabs in FF, which found it huffing and puffing, working in slow-motion: the screen darkened and one could do nothing but wait a relative age, before considering an exit; that, too, was a long time in coming.