PDA

View Full Version : Building your own computer

Elim
August 13th, 2006, 12:19 PM
I'm not entirely sure if this thread is okay in this forum; if not, please forgive me.

I've spent so much time playing with my computer lately (damn you, Linux!) that I decided I needed to upgrade. Well, upgrade isn't exactly correct--I want to get an entirely new system.

From the thread title you've probably picked up what I'm wondering about--whether I should buy a comp or build my own. I know a fair amount about hardware, so I'm quite confident in my ability to put a system together. I know a lot about hard drives, RAM, and even a bit about power supplies, since I've bought/upgraded all of those before. What I don't know much about is CPUs and motherboards--probably the most complicated parts.

So I'm looking for a little guidance. I'd enjoy putting my own system together, but in the end I've got a few concerns:

1.) Would I break even (with regard to money) if I built my own, or would it be better to buy a customized system from a manufacturer like Dell?

2.) What are the most important things to consider when buying CPUs and motherboards? Any websites you'd recommend?

3.) If I were to build one, would you recommend getting the parts online or at a local store?

Thanks for your time.

bjweeks
August 13th, 2006, 12:23 PM
1.) You can but Dell's are hella cheap, if your looking at the low end forget it Dell will always be cheaper but in the mid/high end it starts to be more in the favor of building it yourself.

2.) Mobo, ram and power supply.

2&3.) Online. newegg.com

NeghVar
August 13th, 2006, 01:31 PM
I prefer building systems myself, if you plan to use it for Linux alot you'll want hardware which works good in Linux and it is easier to ensure that by building it yourself.

sapo
August 13th, 2006, 01:36 PM
I always built my own computer, so if i would give you some adivices it would be:

Dont save money when buying your mobo, buy a cheap video card, cheap processor but NEVER a cheap mobo, why? cause if you want to upgrade in the future, video cards and processors are easy to just buy a new one and replace the old one, but what if you buy a cheap mobo and in the future it doesnt support the processor you wanna buy? Then you have to buy everything new.... i recomend you a mobo whit NForce chipset i always had it. since nforce 2 and they all work under linux.

If ou dont play games you can save money on a video card, and buying the lastest video card out there would be the stupidest thing you could do.. you will pay double the price its worth, just because its new and also nvidia is a good idea, at least i had an ATI and it wasnt as good as nvidia on linux, but i heard that ATI drivers are better now.. so its up to you.

Buy a good power supply, i m not saying those generic power supply that says 500W but in the end have just 200W, why buy a good power supply? cause cheap ones can burn up everything and you will regret when that happens.

now about your questions:

1 - I think you will not break, i like to chose my things one by one so i can say this computer is good because i was the one who built it, or it sucks but its my fault :)

2 - I already answered this one, ithik that good mobo is the key to save money in the future, buy a mobo that supports some fast processors and have some cool features, you dont need to buy the fastest processor out there they are usually expensive, so buy the slowest one, and when you have some money upgrade it ;)

3 - I always got my stuff online, cause local stores are to freaking expensive, newegg.com would be a good place to start looking for prices ;)

nickle
August 13th, 2006, 02:02 PM
1.) Would I break even (with regard to money) if I built my own, or would it be better to buy a customized system from a manufacturer like Dell?

2.) What are the most important things to consider when buying CPUs and motherboards? Any websites you'd recommend?

3.) If I were to build one, would you recommend getting the parts online or at a local store?

Buying from Dell will probably be cheaper, but you have lttle or no control of what goes into your machine.
Think about what you main uses will be and where you wilol be using it. For example if you want a quiet system then chose a quiet case and components. If you plays lots of the most modern games, then graphics are all important. In any case (as other have said) try to buy a good MoBo which might also allow future updates; However do not buy features you will probably need. I would also spend some money on a good display.It is actually a bit of fun building your own. Take your time (several months) understanding what you want and what is available. There are many helpful forums. AND remember you will learn as you go along, i.e. you will build your SECOND computer much better :)))
Online is often cheaper, unless you are lucky enough to have a good helpful dealer in your locality. With a little expereince you will also find some good online dealers: Some are very helpful and customer friendlyHave fun and Good luck!!!