PDA

View Full Version : The perfect Home Network and it all Linux.

irv
March 5th, 2017, 12:54 PM
I think I have my home network just the way I want it. First I have no Windows operating systems on any of the PCs or anything else. I am totally 100% Linux and everything is running great. I don’t have to worry about viruses or malware and everything stays up-to-date. I don’t have to worry about Windows screwing up everything when it does updates.
Seeing memory is cheap, I installed the max amount in everything I own, and I have SSD on all my computers. I think everything boots up in about 10 seconds.
I have one router and one access point so my entire house inside and out is covered. I have one old laptop setup as a file server running OpenSSH. This server has two TB USB drivers attached for backups.
I have one hub off my router with three printers attached. I move my old server to the chapel for file backups down there, but I can still log into it from home because I have a static IP and domain on it so I can still do everything over the Internet. I can also us SSH to move files around. I have everything passworded so I have good security. I can control everything from my laptop at home.
I keep thinking, what else can I add or change to make it better, and there is nothing that comes to mind.
If you think of something, let me know.
Only one problem, everything is running so good there is nothing to fix. Now I'm getting bored.

HermanAB
March 5th, 2017, 03:06 PM
Well, you can make your own router with OpenBSD just to make assurance doubly sure.

Perfect Storm
March 5th, 2017, 03:17 PM
Now you have time to pestering the neighbors about Linux :D

bearlake
March 5th, 2017, 05:34 PM
He can come to my home. :)

irv
March 5th, 2017, 08:57 PM
Everybody that knows me knows I am 100% Linux. I hear this all a time, I need windows for this or that. Given enough time you can find a way to do it with Linux. I found out if you get rid of windows you will find you can live without it. It is getting easier and easier with all the online apps you can use. (Google Docs) for example. bearlake, how far to I have to drive/fly/swim to get to your house.:p
I believe the software on my router/access point is open source.