PDA

View Full Version : Let's make Apple respect consumer rights

eezacque
March 4th, 2017, 01:03 PM
I started a petition to ask attention for the way Apple fails to respect consumer rights worldwide: https://www.change.org/p/tim-cook-make-apple-inc-respect-consumer-rights I would appreciate if you could take a look at it and spread the word: it is definitely relevant for the Ubuntu community.

Perfect Storm
March 4th, 2017, 01:07 PM
Moved to The Cafe.

LostFarmer
March 4th, 2017, 03:52 PM
Apple respects my consumer rights, they have not required me yet to buy one of there overly priced items of junk.

halogen2
March 4th, 2017, 06:53 PM
Apple respects my consumer rights, they don't prevent me installing Linux on my MacBook Pro.

poorguy
March 4th, 2017, 07:30 PM
When consumers make the decision to purchase an Apple computer they have also made the decision to accept any policies that go along with their Apple product.
Apple has nothing to offer which can't be accomplished by any other PC manufacturer IMO.

bearlake
March 4th, 2017, 10:00 PM
When consumers make the decision to purchase an Apple computer they have also made the decision to accept any policies that go along with their Apple product.
Apple has nothing to offer which can't be accomplished by any other PC manufacturer IMO.

This ^^^ +1

Couldn't have been said better.

lysander6662
March 5th, 2017, 02:09 PM
While I agree with the thrust of the petition, I am very cynical about petitions in general. They accomplish little. Even petitions which accrue thousands [or millions] of signatures can do nothing. Apple won't be changing anything until they want to.

mastablasta
March 6th, 2017, 08:42 AM
While I agree with the thrust of the petition, I am very cynical about petitions in general. They accomplish little. Even petitions which accrue thousands [or millions] of signatures can do nothing. Apple won't be changing anything until they want to.

yes a far more effective way is to ignore them and not buy their products. they would then make the necessary changes very fast. until then... i guess what they do is what people who buy their products want.

Perfect Storm
March 6th, 2017, 09:21 AM
Frankly, I think most Apple users don't know or don't care about it. As long there's an Apple logo on it they are happy. That's what I've observed.

DuckHook
March 6th, 2017, 11:12 AM
…it is definitely relevant for the Ubuntu community.On the contrary, I'm failing to see how this has any relevance to the Ubuntu community.

ajgreeny
March 6th, 2017, 12:50 PM
On the contrary, I'm failing to see how this has any relevance to the Ubuntu community.
^^^+1
Much more relevant to the Apple users and buyers community, in my opinion, and in all honesty, I don't care about them; let them buy and use whatever they wish to.

lysander6662
March 7th, 2017, 11:08 AM
Frankly, I think most Apple users don't know or don't care about it. As long there's an Apple logo on it they are happy. That's what I've observed.

The other day when I was in the uni library I looked across the room and saw a swathe of laptops with Apple icons. There was at least one person at each table with one. The irony is that such devices are completely unnecessary to success in a degree. I obtained my master's without the aid of a laptop or tablet.

mastablasta
March 7th, 2017, 03:36 PM
The other day when I was in the uni library I looked across the room and saw a swathe of laptops with Apple icons. There was at least one person at each table with one. The irony is that such devices are completely unnecessary to success in a degree. I obtained my master's without the aid of a laptop or tablet.

true that!

university degree was done on 486PC (in 2004 when people had their first dual cores). as long as it had a wordprocessor and i could browse the net i was good. an version of statistics program was used. masters on a low end PC i bought in 2004 with a slight help from small laptop i picked up for 200 USD on a trip in Asia. the specs on it are basically very similar (in power) to the ones on the PC.

lysander6662
March 7th, 2017, 04:03 PM
Such companies will have you believe that their devices are not only integral to success but indispensable. In lectures there were people sitting there with laptops or iFads, whereas I just had a notebook [the paper kind!] and pen. I think there is only so much one can take away from a lecture, no matter where the information is recorded.

A desktop computer on the other hand is indispensable these days, especially as institutions don't tend to accept handwritten work - and anyway, formatting documents in a word processor is highly effective to creative/academic writing. Since I am now on Linux I will be using Libre Office going forward, which I haven't used yet, in the past I was using Open Office. It looks more or less the same, though I notice it seems to format documents differently even under compatibility. Not a major problem though.

vasa1
March 7th, 2017, 05:39 PM
OP seems to have moved on. People wanting to sign the petition can still do so. The link is in the first post.