PDA

View Full Version : LiveCD has no "Reinstall" option

mv55
March 2nd, 2017, 05:18 PM
Hello,

I'm currently daul booting Ubuntu 16.04.02 and Windows 7 and I must have made a mistake somwhere: ive been having a bunch of proformance isues on the Ubuntu side.

So I booted my liveCD from usb and went to reinstall, but only "erase and install" options are available.

What conditions would cause this, and how can I fix it?

QIII
March 2nd, 2017, 05:20 PM
Hello!

What sort of performance issues are you encountering? Nuking from orbit with a re-install is not likely necessary.

mv55
March 2nd, 2017, 05:25 PM
It's sluggish. Even when booting LibreOffice. It'll have hang-ups when typing. An hour ago, I had a word processor open and 9 chrome tabbs and the thing completely froze, when to a black screen with lines referencing "orphaned nodes" and shut off.

Do you have tips for detecting memory leaks or optimizing system performance?

oldrocker99
March 2nd, 2017, 05:28 PM
How much RAM do you have? Chrome is a memory hog; 9 tabs will use up ~900 MB. This (if you have ~2-4 MB) will cause the swap file to be hit a LOT. You can either buy more RAM, or just use Libre Office alone.

mv55
March 2nd, 2017, 05:34 PM
4GB. I'm running a MSI FX603, i5, 4gb ram, 1gb M425 dedicated graphics card: It should be able to handle chrome and office.

ubfan1
March 2nd, 2017, 05:49 PM
You are lucky the option was removed, it didn't work the way people expected (see bug 1265192), and did the "wipe disk and install". To reinstall, select the "something else", and select the partitions you want to use.

oldos2er
March 2nd, 2017, 11:08 PM
It's sluggish. Even when booting LibreOffice. It'll have hang-ups when typing. An hour ago, I had a word processor open and 9 chrome tabbs and the thing completely froze, when to a black screen with lines referencing "orphaned nodes" and shut off.

That sounds like a file system issue. I would try running fsck on your system partitions from the LiveCD.