PDA

View Full Version : software for making tutorials

mastablasta
March 2nd, 2017, 02:11 PM
does anyone knwo of a software for making tutorials and instructions in the opensource world?

i am thinking something like Wink was on Windows (abandoned, though it still works).

i've been searching for alternative for a while now. wink takes screenshots (e.g. one each 4 seconds) and after it is done you can annotate them, set the timer for each screenshot and other things and then it binds it alltogether using shockwave flash into a nice video like presentation. i use it to make short tutorials for my colleagues. when i can, i use screen, video but sometimes i helps if you add a few words and comments. video editing might also be a solution but that would probably be more advanced technique.

ventrical
March 2nd, 2017, 06:15 PM
OpenShot.

Don't leave home without it:)

It will do all and more that you mentioned in your post. And it is so easy to post on youtube. It is super youtube friendly. It is yet another gem in the Software center.

Regards..

ventrical
March 2nd, 2017, 07:27 PM
I just made this brief mock-up tutorial and posted it on youtube. You will have to learn Openshot and Audacity. There are tons of help files. I put up a few screen shots to get you started.

https://youtu.be/Yugs-nu6SJk

sudodus
March 2nd, 2017, 08:10 PM
Videoclips are nice, but don't forget that a tutorial or manual can also be a pdf file made with libreoffice impress or a set of wiki pages made with a wiki tool.

ventrical
March 2nd, 2017, 08:33 PM
I was under the impression that the OP was referring to video style instructional development snips.

Regards..

sudodus
March 2nd, 2017, 08:47 PM
Yes ventrical, I agree with you. I just wanted to remind of the classic alternatives - they can still be used to make very useful tutorials.

ventrical
March 2nd, 2017, 08:57 PM
Yes ventrical, I agree with you. I just wanted to remind of the classic alternatives - they can still be used to make very useful tutorials.

Thank you . I agree. :)

Regards..

uRock
March 2nd, 2017, 09:26 PM
If you are looking for an open source screen recorder, the Simple Screen Recorder gets the job done for me.

mastablasta
March 3rd, 2017, 08:33 AM
not the screen recorder, i already have that and use it.
Wink takes individual screenthost and then connects them all together. it's good for tutotorials when gui is involved (e.g. a complicated webportal from client) as you can easilly add arrows comments and such (annotate) and then wink binds it all into a video like file, so they can see the mouse movements and such.

there are a few commercial alternatives but there doesnt' seem ot be any good opensource ones. at least not the kind that would be easy to use.