PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] sudo GUI apps

alabamatoy2
March 1st, 2017, 04:59 PM
16.04.2 desktop. totally new fresh install. I open a terminal and enter "sudo nautilus" in order to have the GUI file mgr with elevated privileges. It works, but in terminal I get:

(nautilus:2786): Gtk-WARNING **: Failed to register client: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnkn own: The name org.gnome.SessionManager was not provided by any .service files

** (nautilus:2786): CRITICAL **: Another desktop manager in use; desktop window won't be created
Nautilus-Share-Message: Called "net usershare info" but it failed: Failed to execute child process "net" (No such file or directory)

Is this normal? The file manager (nautilus) indeed runs with root privs, bu what's all the warning and critical alert? How do I eliminate this? Am I doing this (file mgr with elevated privs) the wrong way?

Perfect Storm
March 1st, 2017, 05:41 PM
You should really use gksudo instead sudo when using with gui.

TheFu
March 1st, 2017, 06:06 PM
Or sudo -H {insert-gui-program}

The issue is that sudo alone doesn't change the HOME environment variable, so the other userid, root, is trying to write config file stuff to your normal userid's HOME. There are many ways this can be bad, but usually the "badness" doesn't show up until later. root owning files in your HOME is bad.

You'll want to fix the root file ownership. Run
sudo chown -R $LOGNAME ~/ to fix it. Notice how sudo doesn't use the -H option? That is on purpose, this time. Feel free to read up about other options for sudo in the manpages. It is a very powerful command, well beyond what 95% of normal users AND administrators understand.

The better solution is don't use root for GUI programs. There a multiple security issues running X/Windows programs as root, though on a home network the risks for non-internet programs is minimal.

IMHO.

alabamatoy2
March 1st, 2017, 06:44 PM
Installed gksu, run gksudo nautilus and I get
====

** (gksudo:11435): WARNING **: Couldn't register with accessibility bus: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.

(gksudo:11435): GConf-CRITICAL **: gconf_value_free: assertion 'value != NULL' failed
====

The sudo -H nautilus resulted in:
====

(nautilus:11671): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: g_dbus_interface_skeleton_unexport: assertion 'interface_->priv->connections != NULL' failed

(nautilus:11671): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: g_dbus_interface_skeleton_unexport: assertion 'interface_->priv->connections != NULL' failed
====

Again, the GUI app works, but I get the errors, and have to ctrl-c in Terminal once I exit the GUI app. Is this normal?

alabamatoy2
March 1st, 2017, 10:17 PM
It turns out that ANY app I run from command line (example gnome-system-monitor) or that I select from the GUI "Ubuntu software" icon and add to the launcher behaves this same way. The default apps that are in the launcher bar seem to work, but any app I add to the launcher, even WITHOUT sudo, behaves this same way. I launch the app and nothing happens. the launcher shows the little arrowhead next to the icon as though its running, but there is no GUI window for the app. I have reinstalled the OS, and this problem persists. Can anyone help me troubleshoot what's going on?

TheFu
March 1st, 2017, 11:53 PM
They are just messages. If the message is about some other component that you aren't using, I wouldn't worry. When you launch these apps from the menu, those same messages are sent ... nowhere.

For example, I don't run much of a GUI and don't care about dbus stuff at all.
I'm not using "accessibility features" either, so those not working just doesn't matter.

Did you run that chown stuff?

yetimon_64
March 2nd, 2017, 12:02 AM
Or sudo -H {insert-gui-program}...
With gksu being deprecated I use this one mostly now. Apparently pkexec can also be used if gksu is not installed.

It turns out that ANY app I run from command line (example gnome-system-monitor) or that I select from the GUI "Ubuntu software" icon and add to the launcher behaves this same way. ... Can anyone help me troubleshoot what's going on?No trouble as such there really, just terminal notifications; see next quote ...

They are just messages. If the message is about some other component that you aren't using, I wouldn't worry. When you launch these apps from the menu, those same messages are sent ... nowhere. ...
+1.

alabamatoy2
March 2nd, 2017, 02:08 AM
With gksu being deprecated I use this one mostly now. Apparently pkexec can also be used if gksu is not installed. No trouble as such there really, just terminal notifications; see next quote ... +1. But (whining) the apps wont WORK! They do nothing. As I posted above, "I launch the app and nothing happens. the launcher shows the little arrowhead next to the icon as though its running, but there is no GUI window for the app." They dont execute, as far as I can tell.

ajgreeny
March 2nd, 2017, 01:34 PM
What applications are these that do not run; are they perhaps command-line apps which will never run that way?

Some real examples might help us to help you more.

And as TheFu asked, "Did you run that chown stuff?" as it is still possible having used sudo nautilus to open the file-manager, that some of the files and folders in your home are no longer owned by you as they should be but by root. That can cause numerous problems, the greatest probably being an inability to login as your user.

alabamatoy2
March 2nd, 2017, 02:37 PM
What applications are these that do not run; are they perhaps command-line apps which will never run that way?
Anything I add to the launcher. I can pick any preinstalled app from the ubuntu software listing, and run it, and I get the errors and no gui window.

Respectfully, I understand the command line fairly well.

TheFu
March 2nd, 2017, 02:48 PM
Please post an example ".desktop" file that is being used to launch.

vasa1
March 2nd, 2017, 02:52 PM
It turns out that ANY app I run from command line (example gnome-system-monitor) or that I select from the GUI "Ubuntu software" icon and add to the launcher behaves this same way. The default apps that are in the launcher bar seem to work, but any app I add to the launcher, even WITHOUT sudo, behaves this same way. I launch the app and nothing happens. the launcher shows the little arrowhead next to the icon as though its running, but there is no GUI window for the app. I have reinstalled the OS, and this problem persists. Can anyone help me troubleshoot what's going on?

This question appears distinct from the original issue. It's better for all concerned if you start a new thread with a descriptive title for each disctinct issue you face.

TheFu
March 2nd, 2017, 04:15 PM
Did you run the chown command I provided in #3 above? That would explain why new GUI apps cannot run as the normal userid.
The apps are trying to create settings and aren't allowed because root owns the file/directory where the settings belong. Make sense?

For why sudo doesn't work, I dunno at this point.

alabamatoy2
March 2nd, 2017, 09:32 PM
Did you run the chown command I provided in #3 above?

Yes, it seems to have had no effect.

TheFu
March 2nd, 2017, 09:35 PM
Ok - rather than reinstalling, try creating a new userid - without sudo rights - and setting up the programs in the menu you'd like there.
Example .desktop file?

alabamatoy2
March 2nd, 2017, 11:14 PM
I reinstalled the OS yet again, had same problem. I started looking at the display configuration. For some reason, by default, the installation of 16.04.2 is creating TWO desktops, one is displayed, the other is not. The apps that I tried to run were actually running, but the GUI for the app was appearing in the non-displayed desktop! I didnt know it was there, so I couldn't see the GUI. I deleted the non-displayable desktop (system settings, displays), and the GUIs now appear where they should.

I apologize for wasting yalls time, but you have educated me on several points in this thread. Thanks for your time and attention.

ajgreeny
March 2nd, 2017, 11:22 PM
Great news!

Please mark as SOLVED from the Thread Tools menu up-top if this really is now solved to your satisfaction. It is a great help to users searching the forum.