PDA

View Full Version : The Ubuntu Forums Cookbook

kassetra
April 2nd, 2005, 10:26 PM
That's right, I said I would do it, so I'm doing it. :)

Post your favorite recipes here so we can all share the yummy love. Who knows? Maybe we'll have it published one day too!

kassetra
April 2nd, 2005, 10:30 PM
OLD-FASHIONED GINGERBREAD

Ingredients:
2 sticks butter, at room temperature
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1 cup molasses (NOT blackstrap!)
2 1/2 cups bleached all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 cup hot water

Steps:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Beat the butter at medium speed with an electric mixer. Gradually add the sugar, beating well.

Add the egg and molasses, mixing well. In another bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and ginger.

Add to the creamed mixture, alternately with the water, beginning and ending with the flour mixture. Mix well after each addition.

Pour the batter into a lightly greased and floured 13-x9-x-2-inch baking pan. Bake until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean, 35 to 40 minutes.

Remove and let cool before slicing to serve. Or, let cool completely, wrap first in plastic wrap, then in foil and put into a freezer storage bag before putting it in the freezer. When ready to serve, remove from the freezer, unwrap and let come to room temperature. Then wrap in foil and bake at 250 degrees until warm through. Slice to serve. Makes about 15 servings.

im_ka
April 2nd, 2005, 10:55 PM
i've been inactive for long (returning to ubuntu now)... but i gotta post my favourite.

tripe (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tripe) goulash. this is with 1 kg tripe, that's enough four about 3 people. the tripe should be "kitchen ready"... i don't recommend messing with the raw tripe unless you're an expert (you don't recommend a linux newbie doing linux from scratch, do you? :)) this is the recipe for any goulash by the way, just replace the tripe with pork, beef, etc.

1 kg tripe
1 spoon grease
2 big onions
2 spoons of (preferably hot) paprika powder
salt
some pepper
marjoram
3-5 cloves of garlic
(there's no exact amount of spices, it varies with your taste)

cut the onion in tiny pieces.
heat up the grease in a big pot
put the onion on the grease, roast it a little until it's yellow.
put the paprika powder in the pot, mix it
add the tripe and mix it with the "goulash base"
gradually add water and salt. only add a cup water at a time, wait til it's boiling and then add another cup. add as much water so the tripe is pretty much covered (some pieces will flow on the top)
boil it on high fire (3 on a 1-3 scale stove), the pot uncovered, for 45 minutes til the tripe gets a bit tender.
add pepper, marjoram, smashed garlic... all dependending how spicy you want it. you can add some more paprika too.
cover the pot, and cook it for 2-3 hours on low fire (1,5). you need to cover it so it becomes tender. check it from time to time, mix it... it's done when almost all the water is gone and the tripe looks like this:

http://grocceni.fw.hu/pics6/kuttel.jpg

serve it with fresh white bread... enjoy

totalshredder
April 2nd, 2005, 11:04 PM
A guy who stayed with me tought me of this (I don't cook, but my mom makes it)

2 eggs, beaten
3 tbsp. of milk
1 cup flour
2 tsp. baking powder
Little bit of salt

Combine the above and roll out real thin and cut into strips. Let them dry for an hour(good idea to cover it). Bring some water to boil, and boil em until tender.

Bake a whole chicken, saving the juices. After you're done, let the chicken cool and remove meat from chicken, cutting into bite-size pieces. Add desired amount of water to remaining chicken broth. Add noodles, chicken, celery and carrots. Then you can make these dumpling things that are great; I forget how though :)

This is real easy; and is amazingly good :smile: A personal favorite!!

Luke

mike998
April 3rd, 2005, 12:52 AM
Uhhh which one do I post? I LOVE cooking and am responsible for weight gain in myself and everyone around me...

I just made Guacomole tonight for my wife:
4 avacados, scooped and de-stoned.
1/2 tsp cayenne
1/2 tsp cumin
dash salt
1 clove garlic, finely diced.
Lime juice
Small Onion, finely diced
2 small tomatoes de-seeded and finely diced,

combine avacados, cayenne, cumin. salt and garlic in a bowl and mash/mix to your own required consistency, fold in onion and tomatoe, let sit for an hour to mellow and enjoy with tostidos.

I'd post my recipies for chicken curry and mango chutney, but I fear it would cause riots.

Xian
April 3rd, 2005, 04:24 AM
Fried peanut butter sandwich

2 sl White bread
2 tb Peanut butter
1/2 VERY ripe banana, mashed with fork
2 tb Butter or margarine

Spread the bread with the peanut butter and banana. Melt the butter
in a skillet on medium heat. Fry the sandwich, browning on both sides.

bored2k
April 3rd, 2005, 04:32 AM
Banana Milk Shake

* 1 1/2 cup milk
* 2 bananas, sliced and frozen
* 2 teaspoons honey
* 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Combine all ingredients in container of an electric blender; blend until smooth. Serve immediately.

P.S. - I know I'm like the worst cook ever.

az
April 3rd, 2005, 04:51 AM
Pizza sauce (also pasta sauce)

1 Can of crushed tomatoes
1/3 cup of vegetable oil (corn oil is best because it is somewhat sweet)
2 Tablespoons sugar
1 or 2 tablespoons salt
Fresh thyme, basil or oregano.

Finely chop they herb(s) and place them into a large bowl. Add the oil, crushed tomatoes salt and sugar. Use a wisk and blend all the ingredients together. There is so much oil that the sauce becomes creamy and thick.

No heating is required.

Put it on top of Pizza dough.

Pizza dough:

Put 1 teaspoon of dried yeast into 3/4 cup warm(*) water while you gather the rest of the ingredients into a big bowl.

3 to 4 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar
a bit of oil if you want.

Flick the water glass with your finger. If the yeast starts to bubble, it is because it is hydrated and ready for action. If not, wait. It should take less than ten minutes. Add it to the bowl. Mix with a fork until everything is pretty much stuck together. Keep one hand clean and with the other, press down on the dough. Keep folding it in on itself. Knead the heck out of it.
If you find it hard and the dough is crumbly, add some water. If it is too sticky and you can't get any work done, add flour. Don't give up.

When it is soft (as in smooth) fold it up into a round ball and drop in back into the bowl. Rinse your hands and wipe them in a towel. Use the damp towel to cover the bowl. Let it rise for an hour or two until it is doubled. You can stick it in the fridge overnight instead. Cover the towel with a plate, in that case.

Knead the dough again for a minute and then flatten it. Work it out into a round shape. Put it on a well greased cookie sheet and cover with the sauce. Do not forget the cheese.

350F until the cheese is browned.

*not too warm. Stick your finger in your spouse's mouth. That is 37 degrees celcius (body temp) Make it a bit warmer (40 degrees) Cooking is fun.

TravisNewman
April 3rd, 2005, 05:23 AM
Couldn't you stick your finger in your own mouth? Granted, that's not as fun.

Good on you for starting this. I can't wait to see the recipies. I could use some myself. My cooking skills are slightly better than terrible. ;)

kassetra
April 3rd, 2005, 06:27 PM
Andouille Sausage and Corn Bread Stuffing

Ingredients :
4 tbl oil or butter
4 cup chopped onions
2 cup chopped celery
2 cup chopped green bell peppers
1 1/4 lb andouille
4 tbl butter
2 tbl sweet paprika
2 tbl garlic minced
1 tbl Tabasco sauce
2 cup turkey duck or chicken stock
1 1/2 cup cornbread, crumbled

Steps :
* Place the oil in a large skillet over high heat. Add 2 cups of the onions, 1 cup each of the celery and bell pepper. Saute until the onions are dark brown but not burned, about 10-12 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Add the andouille and cook until the meat is browned, about 5 minutes, stirring frequently.

Add the remaining 2 cups onions, 1 cup celery and bell pepper, the butter, paprika, garlic and Tabasco, stirring well. Reduce heat to medium and cook about 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Stir in the stock and bring to a simmer; continue cooking until the oil rises to the top (until the water evaporates), about 10 minutes. Stir in the bread crumbs. Remove from heat.

Transfer mixture to an ungreased 8 x 8-inch baking dish; bake uncovered in a 425F oven until browned on top, about 45 minutes, stirring and scraping pan bottom well, every 15 minutes.

kassetra
April 3rd, 2005, 06:31 PM
Black Eyed Peas

Ingredients
1 pound smoked sausage, cut crosswise into 1/4-inch slices
1/2 pound diced ham
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 cup chopped onions
1/2 cup chopped bell peppers
1 (15-1/2-ounce) can black-eye peas
1/2 teaspoon chopped jalapeños
Salt and black pepper to taste

Steps
In a large heavy saucepan, brown the sausage and ham in the vegetable oil over medium heat. Add the onions an bell peppers and cook for about four to five minutes, or until wilted, stirring often.

Add the peas and jalapeños and simmer over medium-low heat for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the salt and black pepper to taste and cook for 10 minutes.

Serve over fluffy steamed white rice. Or, better yet, make a jambalaya of sorts by mixing the pea mixture with about four cups of cooked rice. If the mixture is too dry, add a little chicken broth to moisten. Yield: about 6 servings.

bored2k
April 3rd, 2005, 07:16 PM
Black Eyed Peas
You just made this thread so every can see how good of a cook you are and how much we sux :(... just kidding ;) .

kassetra
April 3rd, 2005, 07:30 PM
You just made this thread so every can see how good of a cook you are and how much we sux :(... just kidding ;) .

Actually, I made it because I want an "Ubuntu Forums Cookbook" ... but I will admit, I'm a lot better of a cook now - but only because my roommate in college was a chef... :)

too many years of "WTF ARE YOU DOING WITH THAT KNIFE?! Cut THIS way!!"
:)

kassetra
April 3rd, 2005, 07:32 PM
Basic Beignets

Ingredients
1 cup water
1 cup milk
1 large egg
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons sugar
Pinch of nutmeg
4 to 6 cups vegetable oil
Confectioners sugar

Steps
Combine the water, milk and egg in a large mixing bowl and mix well. Add the flour, baking powder, salt, and the sugar and mix until the batter is smooth. Pour the oil into a large, deep pot or a deep fryer and heat to 360º F. Drop the batter by spoonfuls into the hot oil and fry, turning two or three times, until they are golden brown. Drain on paper towels and sprinkle with confectioners sugar. Makes about 2 dozen.

kassetra
April 3rd, 2005, 09:03 PM
Chicken and Sausage Gumbo

Ingredients
1 cup oil
1 cup flour
2 large onions, chopped
2 bell peppers, chopped
4 ribs celery, chopped
4 - 6 cloves garlic, minced
4 quarts chicken stock
2 bay leaves
2 teaspoons Creole Seasoning, or to taste
1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1 large chicken (young hen preferred), cut into pieces
2 pounds andouille or smoked sausage, cut into 1/2" pieces
1 bunch scallions (green onions), tops only, chopped
2/3 cup fresh chopped parsley
Filé powder to taste

Steps
Season the chicken with salt, pepper and Creole seasoning and brown quickly. Brown the sausage, pour off fat and reserve meats.

In a large, heavy pot, heat the oil and cook the flour in the oil over medium to high heat (depending on your roux-making skill), stirring constantly, until the roux reaches a dark reddish-brown color, almost the color of coffee or milk chocolate for a Cajun-style roux. If you want to save time, or prefer a more New Orleans-style roux, cook it to a medium, peanut-butter color, over lower heat if you're nervous about burning it.

Add the vegetables and stir quickly. This cooks the vegetables and also stops the roux from cooking further. Continue to cook, stirring constantly, for about 4 minutes.

Add the stock, seasonings, chicken and sausage. Bring to a boil, then cook for about one hour, skimming fat off the top as needed.

Add the chopped scallion tops and parsley, and heat for 5 minutes. Serve over rice in large shallow bowls. Accompany with a good beer and lots of hot, crispy French bread.

YIELD: About 12 entrée sized servings.

kassetra
April 3rd, 2005, 09:06 PM
Tex-Mex Jambalaya

Ingredients
6 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup chopped green onions
1/2 cup chopped yellow onions
1 large green bell pepper, seeded and julienne
1 cup coarsely chopped celery
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1/2 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
1/2 pound cubed boiled ham
1 (16-ounce) can whole tomatoes, crushed with the can juices
1 cup chicken broth
Salt and cayenne
2 bay leaves
1 cup long-grain rice, uncooked
Hot sauce

Steps:
In a large heavy pot, heat the butter over medium heat. Add the onions, bell peppers, celery and garlic. Sauté for about five minutes, or until they are wilted.

Add the shrimp and ham. Cook for two to three minutes, or until the shrimp turn pink. Stir in the tomatoes and chicken broth. Season to taste with salt and cayenne. Add the bay leaves and the rice. Cover and reduce the heat to medium-low. Cook until the rice is tender and all the liquid is absorbed, about 25 minutes. Remove the bay leaves and serve. Pass the hot sauce! Makes about 4 servings.

primeirocrime
April 3rd, 2005, 09:07 PM
saliva slowly gathers in my mouth and apears to want to melt the screen.
[hunger][must do it what I have here][damn...][to late to buy stuff][awh...]

kassetra
April 3rd, 2005, 09:07 PM
Vegetarian Gumbo

Ingredients:
4 cups coarsely chopped spinach leaves
4 cups coarsely chopped mustard greens
4 cups coarsely chopped beet greens
3 cups shredded green cabbage
2 cups coarsely chopped watercress
1/2 cup coarsely chopped parsley
2 green onions, cut into 2-inch pieces
1 bay leaf
8 cups water
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 celery stalks, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon TABASCO® Pepper Sauce
1 tablespoon salt
1 teaspoon basil leaves
1 teaspoon thyme leaves
1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
3 tablespoons butter or margarine
1/4 cup all-purpose flour

Steps:
In 8-quart saucepot, combine spinach leaves, mustard greens, beet greens, cabbage, watercress, parsley, green onions, bay leaf and water. Over high heat, heat to boiling. Reduce heat to low. Simmer, uncovered, 20 minutes.

Meanwhile, in 12-inch skillet, over medium heat, in hot oil, cook celery, green pepper and garlic 10 minutes. Add TABASCO® Pepper Sauce, salt, basil, thyme and allspice to saucepot. Simmer vegetable mixture 40 minutes. Carefully remove 6 cups of vegetable mixture.

In food processor or blender, puree mixture in batches. Return to saucepot. Set aside 2 cups of vegetable mixture. In 12-inch skillet over medium heat, melt butter or margarine; stir in flour until well blended and smooth.

Gradually stir in 2 cups reserved vegetable mixture; cook until mixture thickens, stirring constantly. Return mixture to saucepot. Heat to boiling. Makes 8 servings.

kassetra
April 3rd, 2005, 09:09 PM
saliva slowly gathers in my mouth and apears to want to melt the screen.
[hunger][must do it what I have here][damn...][to late to buy stuff][awh...]

whatcha got? I might have a recipe for ya... :)

primeirocrime
April 3rd, 2005, 09:39 PM
well I went for a black been stew that I just made up now.

Half-Onion sliced
Garlic [not much just two bits [I miss the correct word]
Olive oil.

medium heat till it gets all golden
then..add
Soya "beef" previously seasond with lemon, pepper, salt, white wine and cut to small bits
1 can Black beens
3 Sweet potato choped in cubes when possible
Coconut Milk 20 cl
1 Apple chopped in quarters
Tomato Pulp 20cl
Plate:
Chives, Basil, and Some really strong Scotish Bonnet pepper to taste. Fresh on the plate.
Let it cook for 25/30 minutes int medium low heat

goes well with beer, tomorrow I'll see about wine.

[edit] I boilled the sweet potato in another pan.

bored2k
April 3rd, 2005, 09:41 PM
Actually, I made it because I want an "Ubuntu Forums Cookbook" ... but I will admit, I'm a lot better of a cook now - but only because my roommate in college was a chef... :)

too many years of "WTF ARE YOU DOING WITH THAT KNIFE?! Cut THIS way!!"
:)
ROFL

kassetra
April 4th, 2005, 12:17 AM
Miracle on 34th Street Cookies

Ingredient List:
2 C. Butter
4 C. Flour
2 tsp. Baking Soda
2 C. Sugar
5 C. Oatmeal, blended
24 oz. Dark or Bittersweet Chocolate Chips
2 C. Brown Sugar
1 tsp. Salt
8 oz. Dark Chocolate Candy Bar, grated
4 Eggs
2 tsp. Baking Powder
2 tsp. Vanilla (Mexican is best)
3 C. Chopped Hazelnuts

Steps:
Measure oatmeal and blend in a blender to a find powder. Cream butter and both sugars; add eggs and vanilla. Mix together flour, oatmeal, salt, baking powder and baking soda, blend in butter-sugar mix. Add chocolate chips, candy bar, and nuts. Roll into balls and place two inches apart on a cookie sheet. Bake for 10 minutes at 375 degrees.

kassetra
April 4th, 2005, 12:19 AM
Coconut Diamonds

Ingredients:
1 (15 oz) Carton Part-Skim Ricotta Cheese
1 1/2 C Nonfat Instant Dry Milk Powder
1 3/4 C Sugar
1 1/2 C Unsweetened Shredded Dried Coconut

Steps:
Grease an 8-inch square pan. Set aside.

In a large, nonstick frying pan, heat the ricotta cheese over medium heat. Add the milk powder and stir to mix thoroughly. Cook until most of the liquid is evaporated, 12 to 15 minutes. Stir frequently to prevent sticking or burning on the bottom.

Stir in the sugar. The ricotta cheese mixture will become liquid again. Cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the coconut and mix thoroughly. Cook until the mixture is quite thick, 3 to 5 minutes.

Pour the mixture into the greased pan and press the mixture with a spatula. Cut into 1 inch diamond shapes. The mixture sets as it cools. Cool completely before removing from pan.

kadymae
April 4th, 2005, 11:59 PM
Easy Chicken and veggies.

You will need:

1 Chicken breast or thigh for each person eating
1 Small Handful of vegitable #1 (don't use potatoes)
1 Small Handful of vegitable #2 (don't use potatoes)
1 slice of swiss cheese (optional)
1 tablespoon of mustard per breast or thigh
1 genrous squirt of honey per breast or thigh
salt and pepper to taste
1 square of aluminum foil per breast or thigh
A shallow baking dish or cookie sheet with raised edges

Preheat oven to 350f

In the middle of each piece of foil place 1 chicken breast or thigh. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Put the 2 handfulls of veggies (I like fresh green beans, yellow squash, or mushrooms) on top of the chicken. Fold up foil (but make it easy to open again) and place on cookie sheet or baking dish.

Bake for 30 minutes

Take the honey and the mustard and whip up a honey-mustard sauce. At the 30 minute mark, take the chicken out of the oven, open the package, and put a spoon of the honey-mustard on. If you want cheese, put it on top of the honey mustard.

Re-wrap and bake for 15 minutes.

Fast, easy, minimal dishes to clean up.

kadymae
April 5th, 2005, 12:18 AM
Cooking is chemisty and sometimes physics. This technique uses both to gurantee a moist and juicy turkey.

STEP ONE: Brine your turkey overnight (or at least 6 hours).

Salt is a humectant. It attracts water. In your sink or a large tub of some sort, make a brine of 1/3 cup salt for each gallon of water and stick the turkey in it. Through osmosis the salty water will be absorbed into the turkey.

The saltier turkey will retain more moisture as its cooked.

STEP TWO: Chill the breast.

Take the turkey out of the brine and let the excess drain away. For at least 45 minutes, put an icepack (I use bags of frozen peas) over the breast of the turkey.

White meat cooks more quickly than dark meat. If the white meat goes into the the oven colder than the rest of the turkey, it doesn't end up over done and as dry as sawdust.

STEP THREE: Rig a sling.

Using COTTON (not nylon or polyester) twine, rig up some sort of netting/sling underneath the bird, and make sure there are some handles on top.

STEP FOUR: Stuff the bird

Stuffing inside the bird keeps it moist and juicy. If you don't have any left over bread stuffing, then stuff some cut up orange or apple in there.

STEP FIVE: Oil the bird.

Grab the olive oil and brush it on. Makes the skin nice and crispy

STEP SIX: Bird goes in oven

Put the bird in the "normal" way. Shut the door. Do not open for basteing. There is no need to baste the bird.

STEP SEVEN: Half way through the roasting process, flip the bird breast side down.

(Now you know why you rigged a sling with some handles.)

With the breast now face down, all of the juices are now draining down in the breast, so it bastes itself.

STEP EIGHT: Remove from oven and let "rest" 15 minutes before eating.

Flip the bird right side up and carve.

No, this does not make for a picture perfect pretty turkey. But you eat with your mouth, not your eyes, right? ;)

Your turkey will be savory and tender and moist if you do it this way.

az
April 5th, 2005, 02:50 AM
Coleslaw.

In the ukraine, and no doubt in many other countries, you can feed a village with cabbage.

1 green cabbage
1 carrot
salt
sugar
lemon juice
1/3 to 1/2 cup corn oil

Cut the cabbage in half. Remove the outer leaf (or two). Shred the cabbage on a madoline or a vegetable shredded by holding the stem part of the cabbage up and the round part of the half-cabbage down. This will help you shred the cabbage without it falling apart.

Grate (not shred) the carrot finely. Add the oil (more is better), a teaspoon of salt and a teaspoon of sugar. Sprinkle a generous amount of lemon juice. A common problem with making colseslaw is that it tastes awful if you use vinegar. The tartness of the lemon compliments the cabbage. Mix vehemently. Taste often and add salt, sugar or lemon to taste.

Let rest for an hour. Tastes best the next day. Use it in hotdogs and hamburgers.

Accompanies any meal.

Variation: Add 1/4 cup mayonaise to make it creamy.

az
April 5th, 2005, 03:24 AM
Kalach (Ukranian egg bread - like challah or any other egg bread)

3 eggs
1 teaspoon of yeast
3/4 cup warm water (40 degrees celcius - see above)
pinch of salt
1/4 cup oil
1/4 cup sugar
3 to 5 cups flour

Put the yeast in the warm water while you gather the other ingredients.

Beat the three eggs in a bowl and save a teaspoon of the egg mixture for later. Add three cups of flour to a big bowl along with the egg, sugar, oil and salt. When the yeast is bubbly, add it in too. Knead. If it is crumbly, add water. If it is too sticky, add more flour. The dough should be firmer than your average bread dough to keep its' shape.

Cover the bowl with a damp towel and let the dough rise in a warm place. When it has doubled in size, punch it down and roll it out into three ropes.

Make the ropes less than an inch thick (2.5cm) so that it will cook evenly. Do this on a big surface, you need a lot of room. Use a bit of oil if things are sticky. Your dough should be somewhat stiff, so this should not be a problem.

You should end up with three ropes that are a little less than three feet long (75 cm)

Pinch then together on one end and then braid them.

Take the lowermost rope and place it in between the other two. The middle rope is now the lowest rope, move it into position by bringing it down to where the other rope (lowermost) used to be. Take the topmost rope and place it in between the other two. Take the rope that is now highest and pull it up to it's position as topmost rope. Place the lowermost rope in between the two others. You get the picture...

When you have a long braid, snip the ends off and bring the whle thing together as a circle. Try to join the individual ropes together as best as you can. Place it on an oiled cookie sheet. Take the snipped off bits and form two long strands. Entertwine them together by putting them side-by-side and holding one end while rolling the other end with the palm of your hand. Stretch this out around the bottom of the big braid and join the ends together.

Cover the kalach with a damp towel and let it double in size. (about an hour, maybe less on a hot day) Brush it with the egg mixture. You should have enough to cover it completely. Cook at 350 degrees until it becomes dark brown. Let it cool.

Be very careful. My dog jumps up on the table to eat this. I make this for special occasions and it is embarrasing when guests find the dog with the half of the bread that she could not finish under the table.

primeirocrime
April 6th, 2005, 11:02 AM
yet to be cooked but they are going to be served for lunch. raw? (http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show.php?content=22703)

az
April 7th, 2005, 01:39 AM
I made some Ubuntu-bread today.

It is made to be shared!

carlc
April 7th, 2005, 01:52 AM
This is a great and easy recipe if you like to grill and goes well with fresh salsa and grilled corn on the cob.

Mexican Grilled Steak

Ingredients:
2 pounds flank steaks
1/2 cup lime juice
2 tablespoons dry oregano
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
4 cloves garlic, crushed

Instructions:
Place beef steaks in shallow glass or plastic dish. Mix remaining ingredients and pour over the beef. Cover and refrigerate at least 8 hours, turning occasionally. Set oven control to broil. Cook beef to your liking on prepared barbecue grill. Cut beef in thin strips across the grain of the meat. Serve with tortillas and guacamole if desired.

carlc
April 7th, 2005, 01:53 AM
GRILLED CORN ON THE COB

4 to 6 fresh ears of corn 2 Tbsp. margarine or butter 2 tsp. lemon juice 1 tsp. snipped fresh thyme or 1/4 tsp. dried thyme, crushed

Peel husks back, but do not remove. Using a stiff brush or your fingers, remove silk from corn. Pun husks back up around corn. In a large saucepan or container, cover corn (husks on) with cold water. Soak for at least I hour. Drain, shaking corn to remove excess water. Cover corn as much as possible with husks. If necessary, tie die tips of the husks together with wet kitchen string.

Grill corn (with husks) on an uncovered grill directly over medium coals for 25 to 30 minutes or till tender, turning several times. To remove husks and strings, wear gloves or use a pot holder.

Meanwhile, in a small saucepan combine margarine or butter, lemon juice, and thyme. Heat on die grill or stovetop till margarine is melted; brush over die corn before serving.

carlc
April 7th, 2005, 01:55 AM
Steak Diane

2 (6 oz) Filet Mignons, thawed
1/8 tsp. Salt
1/8 tsp. Freshly ground pepper
2 Tbsp. Butter
1 tsp. Dijon-style mustard
2 Tbsp. Shallots, minced
1 Tbsp. Butter
1 Tbsp. Lemon juice
11/2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 Tbsp. Fresh chives, minced
1 tsp. Brandy
1 Tbsp. Fresh parsley, minced

Directions:
Season both sides of steak with salt and pepper. Melt butter in a heavy skillet; add mustard and shallots. Saute over medium heat 1 minute. Add steaks and cook approximately 4 minutes on each side for medium-rare. Remove steaks to serving plate and keep warm.
Add into pan drippings, 1 Tbsp. butter, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce and chives. Cook for 2 minutes. Add brandy; pour sauce over steaks. Sprinkle parsley over the top.

carlc
April 7th, 2005, 01:56 AM
Does anyone have any good Thai recipes?

skoal
April 7th, 2005, 01:57 AM
Ultimate Breakfast Smoothy

1/4 cup frozen blueberries
1/4 cup frozen strawberries
1/4 cup frozen raspberries
1/4 cup frozen cherries
2 heaping tbsp. Lecithin granules
1/4 cup fructose sugar
variable amounts of water or Almond Milk
(optional) 1 cup yogurt

* Add 1/4 cup liquid. Start the blender on 'puree' setting (a low grind). The blender should sound like it's breaking stones at a rock quarry. Keep pouring small amounts of liquid in right as the blender hangs. You don't want too much liquid in there at one time or the blender will not break apart the strawberries. Once you get a free flowing chunky swirl, you'r done. Great for on the go or a quick brain freeze.

kassetra
April 7th, 2005, 05:20 PM
yet to be cooked but they are going to be served for lunch. raw? (http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show.php?content=22703)

RAW RAW RAW! ;)

cajun food rocks y'all. :)

kassetra
April 7th, 2005, 05:20 PM
I made some Ubuntu-bread today.

It is made to be shared!

Ok azz, that is truly awesome. I totally love that idea and now I have to make some! :)

missynay
April 7th, 2005, 09:00 PM
Gingerbread Oatmeal Casserole

6 C old fashioned oats
1 C brown sugar
4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp allspice
1 tsp ginger
4 eggs
2 C milk
1 C melted butter or coconut oil or applesauce
1/2 C molasses

Place oats in a bowl and mix in dry ingredients. Add eggs and mix until blended. Stir in mik, butter and molasses. Pour into a 13" x 9" pan and bake at 350 for 30 minutes. Serve plain, or with warm or cold milk.

Enjoy! I make this at least once a week for breakfast!

missynay
April 8th, 2005, 08:57 PM
Rene's Cheesecake

Crust:
1-1/2 C crushed Nilla Wafers (about 45 cookies)
3/4 C powdered sugar
1/3 C butter, melted

Mix together until moistened. Press into a 9" springform pan. Bake at 350* for 8 minutes. Cool completely.

Filling:
4 8oz pkg. cream cheese
3/4 C sugar
3 eggs
1/3 C sour cream
3 Tbl flour
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp salt

Beat cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Add eggs, sour cream, flour, vanilla and salt; beat just until blended. Pour over crust. Bake at 350* for 55 - 60 minutes. Loosen with knife and cool; refrigerate.

Serve cherry pie filling on top! Yum!

und3rdog
April 11th, 2005, 06:29 AM
Heart Attack Quiche:
(adapted from Better Homes Coobook {go buy one now})
1 Standard 9 in pie crust (shortening flour water)
Bake at 450 for 8 minutes with a layer of double foil on top,
Remove foil and bake for another 4 minutes
Drop the temp down to 325

(You can mix the rest in a blender, but take the time to fold in the cheeses in a seperate bowl)

fry up 6 bacon slices, crush and set aside
in the fat left over cook a medium yellow onion until translucent
again set aside

Combine the following:
8 eggs
a pint of heavy cream
1 cup frozen spinach (thawed in the microwave)
a dash of nutmeg
the bacon and onion

zip together and season with salt and pepper
fold in 1 cup of mozerella and 1/2 cup swiss (both shredded)

pour the glop into your cooled crust and place in the oven for 45 min

Enjoy!

-Luke

oddabe19
April 11th, 2005, 07:30 PM
Apparently, i'm the only one that can cook out of all the other college buddies i know... or so i'm told. I think i get it from my mother who has never made a bad meal in my opinion.

So i'll occasionally post a recipe here that i cook myself. Most of what I make is either American or Portugese (my heritage) food (pasta, etc, that seem italian will actually be more portugese-ish)

Ultimate Venison (or beef) Burgers - Feeds alot... depends on how much meat you use.

Equal amounts of ground venison (Deer meat) and ground beef. I like to use more venison then beef, but that's me. If you can't find venison (i.e. you live where hunting isn't common) you can use straight beef.
Garlic Powder (NOT SALT), or fresh chopped garlic
Worshchire Sauce
Salt & Pepper
Dash of crushed red pepper
Cheese of choice. I like fresh blue cheese or mozerella on it.

Fire up that grill... use charcoal, or better yet... hickory chips.

Mix all ingredients together WELL, i don't know an exact amount, because i just do it to taste. Start with a dash of garlic powder, that's almost all you need, you just need a little bit for flavor. Same with worshchire and s&p.

Then the obvious:
Form into burgers (however big you want them). And grill on a hot grill to medium rare. Venison isn't as big of a harvest for salminela, so you will be fine.

Add cheese and serve... easy enough the kids can do it, and damn good and healthy. Almost no fat because venison doesn't really have any.

MasonM
April 13th, 2005, 11:53 PM
My Favorite Chili

1 large can of tomato juice (32oz I think)
approx 1 lb ground chuck
approx 1 lb rattlesnake meat (best ground or chopped if no meat grinder available)
1 8oz can stewed tomatos
1 medium size spanish onion
1 red bell pepper
1 medium size jalapino pepper
2 or 3 dried chili peppers
olive oil
chili powder (canned or freshly ground)
finely ground white pepper
ground cayenne pepper
1 bottle habanero sauce

Pour tomato juice into chili pot, place chili pot on low heat
Finely chop onion and peppers, place in chili pot
add stewed tomatos to chili pot
add 3 tablespoons of chili powder
add 1 tablespoon white pepper
add 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
put 1 tablespoon olive oil in hot skillet

lightly fry rattlesnake meat in olive oil until thoroughly heated (similar to browning hamburger)
place rattlesnake into chili pot

brown ground chuck and place in chili pot

In Chili Pot:

add several dashes of habanero sauce (use this judiciously, VERY hot sauce)

Once all ingredients are in chili pot, top off pot with water until almost full if needed.

Cover chili pot and simmer chili on medium low heat for 1 hour, stirring occassionally. Do not allow chili to boil.

Taste for correct spice heat and flavor. Add additional chili powder and habanero sauce as needed.

Simmer for another hour and taste again. Add more chili powder and habanero as needed. (I like mine pretty hot. If it doesn't make your forehead sweat, it isn't hot enough).

As chili simmers, add additional water as needed if it cooks down too much. Too much would be defined as thicker than you want it to be.

Continue simmering the chili and testing flavor for a additional two hours. Once ready, remove from heat and allow to stand and cool for 30 minutes before serving. (This allow the flavors to "settle. The real "trick to great chili)

Yum Yum!

If you'd like something a bit different or to thicken the chili more, you can add a box of spaghetti to the chili approx 30 minutes before removing it from the burner.

az
April 14th, 2005, 12:35 AM
"My Favorite Chili"

Mmmmmmmmm Yes, yes!

"rattlesnake meat"

Oh noooo, no!

"If you'd like something a bit different or to thicken the chili more, you can add a box of spaghetti to the chili approx 30 minutes before removing it from the burner."

Mmmm, yes, again.

baza41
April 14th, 2005, 07:31 PM
CHICKPEA CURRY

Ingredients
1 tbsp olive oil
1 banana shallot, chopped
1 garlic clove, chopped
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground cumin
110g/4oz chickpeas
85g/3oz dried apricots, chopped
1 orange, juice only

Method
1. Heat the oil in a medium saucepan. Add the shallot and garlic and sauté for 2 minutes.
2. Add the spices and stir well.
3. Add the chickpeas, apricots and orange juice and cook on a low heat for 3 minutes.
4. If the curry appears too dry add a little hot water or stock.
5. Remove the curry from the heat and ladle into a shallow bowl. Serve with couscous.

Baza

kassetra
April 16th, 2005, 04:53 AM
BTW, there is a nifty little app for managing recipes in gnome:
http://www.gnomefiles.org/app.php?soft_id=441

I just installed the debian package, and it works great. :) I'm going to be making my lovely Ubuntu Forums Cookbook now, with all of these recipes! :)

mike998
April 21st, 2005, 05:09 PM
Curried Rice:
1 Small Onion, diced
1 Granny Smith Apple, diced
1/2 cup raisins
2 teaspoons cumin
1 1/2 to 2 tbsp curry powder
2 cups plain white rice
4 cups water
2 tbsp oil
Chicken stock powder or cubes
Dash lemon Juice

Lightly sautee onion until soft in oil
Add apple and sautee until apple is soft
Add rice and sautee until grains begin to turn clearish
Slowly add 2 cups water with Cumin and Curry powder added
Add Raisins, stir
Add lemon juice
Add last 2 cups water with chicken stock at half strength
Cover and simmer for 20 mins
Enjoy with barbecued salmon or cold as lunch the next day

jazzabelle
April 27th, 2005, 08:28 AM
Pesto Genovese

This will make 1 450g jar, enough for pasta for about 6-8 people

Time to prepare: 10 minutes in a processor, 30 minutes by hand (best way!)

You will need:
4 packs basil, or 1 large basil plant, leaves only
25g pine kernels
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 tsp granular sea salt
50g freshly grated Parmesan
50g freshly grated Pecorino
100-200ml extra virgin olive oil

Instructions
Wash and dry the basil leaves. Heat a dry frying pan over a medium heat and toast the pine kernels lightly for 2-3 minutes. Set aside to cool completely.

If you're using a mortar, pound the garlic with the salt to make a soft mush. Pound in the pine nuts, then work in the basil leaves, 2-3 at a time, with a circular movement of the pestle, until all is reduced to a silky paste. (The mixture can be frozen at this point). Work in the cheeses, then beat in the olive oil with a wooden spoon until you have a thick, dense sauce. Add more or less oil depending on the texture you like.

If you're using a processor, drop all the ingredients in and bzzzzt it to a yummy green sauce.

To serve, cook a pasta of your choice. Before dressing the pasta, dilute the pesto with a tablespoonful of pasta cooking water.

To store the pesto, pour into a jar, float a layer of olive oil on top, cover and refrigerate for up to a week.
Toss in cold leftover chicken meat and pesto for a pasta salad. Yum! :)

Ricapar
April 28th, 2005, 08:31 PM
I'll be printing this topic today :D

ming0
April 30th, 2005, 12:53 AM
kassetra (member.php?u=7047), gotta give you props for this topic! how funny to see something like this on a linux board ;)

Keep the good recipes coming!

NightwishFreak
May 9th, 2005, 12:01 AM
As a Chef, and Ubuntu user, this thread hits the spot!
And now, my first (of many i hope) contributions to this thread.

Apple and Currant stuffed Breast of Chicken
(this recipe is enough for 6 portions, share with friends :smile: )

Ingredients:
For stuffing:
1 Granny Smith apple
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 teaspoon caraway seeds
1 medium onion, chopped
1 1/2 celery ribs, sliced crosswise 1/8 inch thick
1/2 cup coarse fresh rye bread crumbs (or any other kind, rye is just my preference)
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
3 tablespoons dried currants
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper

For chicken and pan sauce:
6 skinless boneless chicken breasts
1 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
1 cup unfiltered apple cider
1 cup chicken broth

Preparation:
Make stuffing:
Peel/core apple and cut into 1/4-inch dice. Melt butter in a 12-inch heavy skillet over moderately high heat, then saute caraway seeds, stirring, 1 minute. Add onion and cook until softened, about 6 minutes. Add apple and celery and saute, stirring occasionally, until they just start to get soft. Remove from heat and stir in remaining stuffing ingredients. Cool stuffing completely.

Cook chicken:
Preheat oven to 425°F
Cut a pocket in each breast, and stuff with an adequate amount of stuffing.
Pat chicken dry and season with salt & pepper. Heat oil in a heavy bottomed pan, over moderately high heat until hot, then brown chicken for about 2 minutes on each side, transferring to a small roasting pan (save the pan juice!) and bang them in the oven for about 15 mins.

While chicken is roasting, stir flour into juices left in the pan and cook over moderately low heat, stirring, for about 1 minute. Whisk in cider and broth and bring to a boil. whisk again, then let simmer, whisking occasionally, until thickened and reduced to about 1 cup in volume.

When the chicken is done, let it cool for a minute, then slice diagonally into 3rds. once on the plate, spoon a bit of the sauce over top and there ya go!

I recommend serving the chicken with roasted sweet potatoes and grilled asparagus. if anyone wants i can provide my recipe for roasted sweet potatoes.

Have Fun!!

carlc
May 9th, 2005, 01:38 AM
Yum, the chicken sounds great. Hey, go ahead and post the roasted sweet potatoe recipe as well. I am interested in trying both.

NightwishFreak
May 9th, 2005, 03:33 PM
Yum, the chicken sounds great. Hey, go ahead and post the roasted sweet potatoe recipe as well. I am interested in trying both.
Roasted Sweet Potatoes --> this is really easy and fast, but still tastes nice.

Ingredients:
3 medium to large size sweet potatoes
1/2 cup olive oil
2/3 cup balsamic vinegar
2tsp fresh rosemary, chopped
2tsp fresh thyme, chopped
1tsp fresh oregano, chopped
(if you dont have fresh herbs, feel free to replace with dried herbs, just use half the amounts.)
salt & pepper

Method: (preheat oven to 350)
peel and dice sweet potatoes into 1/2inch cubes.
in a bowl, whisk the vinegar and oil together until well emulsified, add in the herbs, and some s&p.
toss the potato cubes in the oil/vinegar mix until well coated, then place on a baking sheet, and drop them in the oven, and let them roast until they are soft. which is about 10 minutes give or take.
then enjoy!

Olive59
May 16th, 2005, 04:20 AM
Orzo Salad

1 Lb. orzo pasta cooked and drained
6 oz. black and/or greek olives
1/2 red onion fine copped
1 cup pine nuts
dressing:
6 cloves chopped garlic
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
8oz. olive oil
6oz balsamic vinegar

Mix dressing and pour over pasta
Add onion and pine nuts
Mix well

This salad is best served at room temp. It is also really tasty to garnish with feta cheese!

Olive59
May 16th, 2005, 04:43 AM
Does anyone have any good Thai recipes?

Thai Tofu and Noodles
3 Tbs. lime juice
3Tbs. granulated sugar
2Tbs. soy sauce
1 tsp. crushed red pepper
1 Tbs. minced garlic
4 oz. soba noodles
1 Tbs. vegetable oil
1 red pepper
1 10.5 oz package Thai seasoned baked tofu
1 scallion thinly sliced
1/2 cup fresh cilantro chopped
1/4 cup fresh mint chopped

combine lime juice, sugar, soy sauce, crushed red pepper and garlic in bowl and set aside.

Cook soba noodles.
While Soba noodles cook stir fry tofu 5 mins in 1 Tbs. oil, add red pepper stir fry for another 4mins

combine noodles with tofu and red pepper in wok or fry pan. Add fresh herbs and dressing. Enjoy!

Olive59
May 16th, 2005, 05:00 AM
sound wierd I know, but trust me this is soo good!

BBQ Lentil Loaf
1 1/2 Cup dry lentils
1 cup whole wheat bread crumbs toasted
1 cup finely chopped celary
1/2 cup grated onion
6 cloves garlic minced
1 carrot shread
1 egg 2 tbs. olive oil
1Tbs. dried sage
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 cup BBQ sauce 2 tbs. ketchup or tomato paste

cook lentils in salted water (about 20 mins)
blend all ingedients together in blender or food processor
put mixture in a bread loaf pan (spray with nonstick spray or butter)
pour BBQ sauce over the top and bake at 350 for and hour or more uncovered

sethmahoney
May 16th, 2005, 08:15 AM
> I'm going to be making my lovely Ubuntu Forums Cookbook now, with all of these
> recipes!

You should upload the cookbook file to this thread if you can!

sethmahoney
May 16th, 2005, 08:17 AM
BTW, all my recipes are in Microsoft Works format. Anyone know of a program that can convert them to text or OpenOffice format?

Olive59
May 18th, 2005, 03:01 AM
Caper and Olive Pasta Sauce

one can of diced tomatos ( I like fire roasted for this) undrained
1/4 cup of olive oil
5 or 6 cloves of garlic chopped
large handful of fresh basil (dried won't work for this) chopped finely
12 large green olives chopped roughly
1/2 tsp salt

Mix all of the above and let sauce marinate for a few hours
Toss with hot pasta

* You can also cook this sauce a little bit if you want to

kassetra
May 28th, 2005, 04:32 AM
sethmahoney - have you tried opening them in Open Office or Abiword (long shot there, I know) ... if not, you'll have to find someone with Works and convert it to txt or .doc....

Ok, for all of you wanting the cookbook - I have decided to use the "Gourmet Recipe Manager" software for Linux to store and make the cookbook format... It can accept master cook formats and photos as well. It makes shopping lists for you, so that's also a plus. :)

As soon as we have around 100 or so recipes, I'll make & release the files here for everyone. :)

Technoviking
June 2nd, 2005, 08:27 PM
Mike's Buffalo Chili

1 pound ground buffalo
1 onion, chopped
1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
1 can dice tomatoes
2 tablespoons chili powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/8 teaspoon dried oregano
2 (15-ounce) cans kidney beans, drained and rinsed

1. Combine ground buffalo and chopped onion in a kettle; cook until the beef is browned, stirring to crumble. Drain.
2. Stir in tomato sauce, dice tomatoes, red pepper flakes, chili powder, salt, pepper, and oregano. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
3. Stir in kidney beans and continue cooking, covered, for 45 minutes. Uncover and cook an additional 15 minutes.

Makes 8 servings.

Why buffalo? Buffalo is lower fat than beef, and give it a killer favor.

Mike

Monchy
June 2nd, 2005, 08:49 PM
I saw this on Emeril Live a while back, and had the chance to try my hand at it, and the flavor when finished will just knock you off your feet.

Emeril's Strawberries Romanoff with Chocolate Sauce

Prep Time: 15 minutes
Inactive Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
Yield: 8 servings

1 pint vanilla ice cream, softened
1 pint sour cream
3 tablespoons brandy
3 tablespoons orange liqueur
2 cups chopped chocolate
4 pints strawberries, hulled

In a large bowl, combine the softened ice cream and sour cream and mix well. Add the brandy and orange liqueur and mix until well combined. Refrigerate until the ice cream has completely melted and the mixture is a sauce consistency, about 30 minutes. Place the chocolate in a bowl set over a pot of barely simmering water. Make sure the bottom of the bowl does not touch the water. Stir the chocolate until melted and smooth.

Pour the ice cream mixture over the strawberries. Drizzle with chocolate and serve.

Hope you enjoy it!

Btw Mike, that Buffalo Chili sound's great. :)

Technoviking
June 3rd, 2005, 08:44 PM
Btw Mike, that Buffalo Chili sound's great. :)
One advantage of living in the America west, you can store all sort of different meats :).

mike

NightwishFreak
June 10th, 2005, 03:41 AM
here is a good recipe, it's some what complex, but i think you all can do it. :)

Beef Tenderloin with wild mushroom/baby onion ragout.

Mushroom Ragout:
4oz butter
2oz olive oil
tbsp shallots (minced)
1/2 tsp finely chopped garlic
8 oz mushrooms ( i recommend a mix of shiitake, button and oyster, but use your favorite)
4 oz pearl onions (peel and leave whole, or halve them if you want)
4 oz red wine
1 oz balsamic vinegar
1 tsp thyme
and a pinch of lemon zest

directions:
sautee shallots, garlic, mushrooms and onions in butter and oil until browned.
add wine and balsamic and reduce by 1/4 to 1/2
add thyme and lemon zest, cool and set aside.

Beef Tenderloin:
12 oz tenderloin
2 oz red wine
6 oz whipping cream
S&P to taste

Directions:
Sear tenderloin on all sides and put in an oven at 350 degrees fahrenheit
after removing the meat, in the same pan add the red wine, mushroom ragout, and the cream. reduce until thick and add s&p to taste.
when tenderloin is cooked *i recommend medium rare (145 - 150 degrees)* slice to desire thickness and spoon the mushroom ragout sauce from the pan over top. serve with your favorite starch and veggies.

MrClarke
June 12th, 2005, 06:43 AM
you just wait until i have a little more time; i've got some recipes that'll make your tongue beat your brains out!

first post here.

JQLeyt
July 1st, 2005, 04:03 PM
wow, great recipes everyone, thanks for sharing. i cook too, but can't think of anythign right now (figures -- just when it would come in handy i draw a blank).

JQ Leyt
john.leyting@tatumpartners.net

MrClarke
July 10th, 2005, 09:36 AM
i want some RED BEANS AND RICE.

got a good one for that?

Galathalion
August 1st, 2005, 02:53 AM
ooooh yes!! This is too darn good to be true.. You need white bread, about 2dl Tuna, salt, 1 red onion and some paprica-spice. Put the tuna in a bowl, add as much salt as you think will do (lol) add a little more paprica than the salt, chop down the red onion. Now mix this in furious aggrevasion (for the taste) and then put the mix on some breadslices.. voila!! YOUR GONNA DIE OF MOUTHGASM!!!! I usually skip the bread and eat directly from the bowl.. perfect snack. ENJOY!!! Btw cats would die for it.. // Neko Neko Chan Nyaaa~~

NoTiG
August 4th, 2005, 05:38 AM
Im kind of a health nut, so this one dessert recipe that I have , while it is healthy and tastes good unfortunately its expensive:

Raw cocoa nibs (raw chocolate) from ecuador
Raw coconut cream (not oil but cream)
Raw agave nectar (the stuff they use to make tequila)
Raw macadamia nut butter (omega 3 balanced)
edit: Also carob and maca powder. Maca for libido :P carob is chocolate flavor
You can use a pestle and mix them up manually or a food processor.

One other recipe that I found pretty divine:

How to make oatmeal

I have made oatmeal for several years and experimented with my own recipes. The following is what I believe makes the best oatmeal:

Get organic steel cut oats. THey arent much more expensive than regular (at least where I am) . Pour a half cup of oats into a bowl, then pour 1 1/2 cups of water on top and mix. Add 1oz of plain Kefir (kefir is at the grocery store in the yogurt section) . Mix together and leave sitting with a paper towel covering the bowl for 24 hours. When you cook it heat the water to exactly 160 degrees. After its that warm pour in the oatmeal and stirr in... it will take 30-40 minutes to cook at this low temperature , but it is worth it because it tastes better than cooking higher (and preserves more nutrients) . After that is finished.. you can top it with cinnamon, Dried fruit (i use a few raisins), and nuts .

Omnios
August 4th, 2005, 06:24 AM
Poor mans or poor cooks chilli

Small slab of ground hamberger dont remember the size but it was faily small.
1 can or jar of spicey spegeti sauce
1 can or jar of spicey spegeti different spices
1 can of Kidny beans
1 can of bean melady
Table spoon of crushed red pepper (dryed) care must be taken it is potent
some chilli powder if you must

Pre cook hamberger till its sort or medium
Throw everything in a pot and bring to a boil and simmer to light boil for an hour.

counting on what type of spegeti sauce dont use the cheap the thicker the better stuff it will turn out supprisingly well. I have user roasted garlic and herbs, Hot red pepper, red pepper and a few other. Watery sauses don't work all that well.

Best dam chilli ive ever tasted!

drizek
August 6th, 2005, 06:22 PM
i want some RED BEANS AND RICE.

got a good one for that?
never heard of a red bean before.

anyway, white beans+tomato sauce+rice is damn good. dont know how to make it, but my mom does when she gives up meat for lent.

the only thing ive ever cooked though is sgabeti.

1 pack of pasta
12 cups of water
salt
cinnammon
4 cheese "Mexican Mix"(only use this if you enjoy murdering animals, otherwise use some tofu cheese)

boil the water in a pot, add some cinnammon in there for flavour, put the spagghetti in there for 4 minutes, take it out, drain it, put salt/cheese on it, eat it.

if there is anything left over, i put it in a ziploc freezer bag and microwave/eat it the next day.

and dayyum, do i miss that spell checker in mepis. i need to figure that one out, lol.

Qrk
September 5th, 2005, 06:33 AM
My favorite cookies ... Molasses Spice

1/2 c. butter, softened
1/2 c. solid vegetable shortening, softened
1 1/2 c. sugar
1/2 c. unsulfured molasses
2 eggs
4 c. flour
1/2 tsp. salt
2 1/4 tsp. baking soda
4 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
3 1/2 tsp. ground cloves
3 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
A bowl of additional sugar

Combine butter, crisco (vegetable shortening) and sugar until creamed. Add the molasses and eggs, beating them in. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, salt baking soda and the spices and mix together. Add this bowl to the wet mixture slowly, while mixing.

Roll the dough into balls, and coat the balls with sugar. Place on ungreased cookie sheet, about 2-3 in apart, and back at 350 degrees F (175 C) for about 13 min. Remove from oven, and allow to cool before removing from pan. It makes around 35 cookies, depending on the size you make them.

I have a thing for molasses cookies, but its difficult to buy good ones. These are kind of like a combination of molasses cookies and ginger snaps. I make them every christmas.

MrClarke
September 5th, 2005, 03:33 PM
hey now!!

that sounds like a real nice cookie.

thanks for that.

bonzodog
February 25th, 2006, 05:35 PM
hi people, don't have a recipe yet, but I discovered this thread lurking in the archives.....so, **BUMP**

Iandefor
February 25th, 2006, 05:58 PM
What! Nobody's posted a recipe for vindaloo yet?! I shall have to remedy this!

For a really great lamb vindaloo, get ahold of:

1lb Lamb steaks Diced
1 Cup of Curry Massalla Gravy
Half of an onion, finely chopped
2 Teaspoon Curry Powder
2 Teaspoons Chilli Powder
8 Finely Chopped Cayenne Chillies
4 Cloves Crushed Garlic
2 inches Root Ginger grated
5 Tablespoons Vegetable Oil
4 Tablespoons roughly chopped coriander leaves
1 Tablespoon whole coriander leaves
1 teaspoon Garam Massalla

Got that? Make a paste of the curry powder and chilli powder with a little water. Fry the onion until translucent in the vegetable oil then add the garlic, ginger and chilli and stir fry on medium for 5 minutes. Add the curry and chilli powder paste and stir in and fry for a further 30 secs. Add the meat and seal well on all sides. Add half the Massalla Gravy and simmer for 20 minutes or until the meat is cooked, stirring constantly. If needed, add more massalla gravy and water to prevent the curry becoming too thick or dry. Now add the chopped coriander leaves and cook for a further minute. Serve over rice.

Straight outta http://www.curryfrenzy.com

TechSonic
February 25th, 2006, 06:14 PM
A TechSonic Original

Sewer Surprise!

One waffle size bowl

Take a waffle and lay it on the bottom. (after it's been toasted)

Bottom layer is chocolate ice cream.

2nd bottom layer Rocky road ice cream.

3rd layer (middle) cookie dough ice cream.

4th layer (middle) caramel swirl ice cream.

5th layer (top) any topping you want, but to for visual effect, cool whip.

Place a toasted waffle on top and gross out your friends.

K.Mandla
February 25th, 2006, 07:22 PM
Keeping with the African theme. ...

Pap (or ipap or papa or sadza or braaipap, depending on your language family :) )

500 ml (~2 cups) water
375 ml (~1 1/4 cups) mealie meal (white corn meal)
salt to taste

Bring water to boil. Using a bowl or cup, gently shake the mealie meal into the water, trying to avoid lumps. Stir vigorously with a stick or a wooden spoon until you get a semi-pasty consistency, crushing lumps as you stir. Remove from heat. Continue to stir for a minute longer, then cover and let sit for 10 minutes. Scoop and serve with Tomato and Onion Sauce.

Tomato and Onion Sauce (or sos, or tamatie sos ... again, depending on your language family :) )

1 tomato, peeled (you do know how to peel a tomato, don't you?) and chopped
1/2 onion, diced
100 ml (~1/3 cup) cooking oil

Brown onions in oil. Add tomato and stir. Reduce. Add salt to taste. Serve over pap.

:D

P.S.: That sauce is not chakalaka.

WildTangent
February 26th, 2006, 01:19 AM
BTW, there is a nifty little app for managing recipes in gnome:
http://www.gnomefiles.org/app.php?soft_id=441

I just installed the debian package, and it works great. :) I'm going to be making my lovely Ubuntu Forums Cookbook now, with all of these recipes! :)
Whatever happened to this idea kass? When I read that the first time, I was looking forward to it :P

-Wild

anil_robo
April 4th, 2006, 03:04 PM
Can't someone compile all these recipes in a little programming code? And can we have a cookbook management software in Ubuntu by default? My mom would love it!!!

Moif_Murphy
April 4th, 2006, 03:13 PM
Toad in the hole

For the batter, you need 4 ounces of plain flour, 1 egg, half a pint of milk and some butter. You will also need a mixing bowl, and a ballon whisk helps, although a fork will do. Put the flour in the mixing bowl, make a well in the centre and break the egg into it. Whisk into it some of the flour, making a thick paste. Keep mixing in more of the flour, adding some milk if the paste becomes too thick to manage, and beating out any lumps. When all the flour has been incorporated, add the rest of the milk and whisk the mixture thoroughly. The mixture should be like single cream in consistency, but if in doubt err on the liquid side. Set the mixture to rest in the fridge for at least half an hour- this is important. Before using it, whisk the mixture again.

Smear the shallow baking dish with a little oil to prevent sticking. Arrange the sausages (there should be eight to the pound) and set to bake in a moderately hot oven for 30 to 40 minutes to cook. In the last 5 minutes turn the oven up so that the fat that has sweated from the sausages becomes smoking hot. Pour the batter over the sausages into the dish and quickly return to the oven for a further 40 minutes. Resist the urge to peek or the batter will collapse. The batter should rise and curl over the embedded sausages, brown and crisp on the outside and soft and succulent on the inside. When it is ready, cut up the dish into portions and serve with cooked green vegetables on the side.

Yum.

MrClarke
April 4th, 2006, 03:38 PM
Keeping with the African theme. ...

Pap (or ipap or papa or sadza or braaipap, depending on your language family :) )

500 ml (~2 cups) water
375 ml (~1 1/4 cups) mealie meal (white corn meal)
salt to taste

Bring water to boil. Using a bowl or cup, gently shake the mealie meal into the water, trying to avoid lumps. Stir vigorously with a stick or a wooden spoon until you get a semi-pasty consistency, crushing lumps as you stir. Remove from heat. Continue to stir for a minute longer, then cover and let sit for 10 minutes. Scoop and serve with Tomato and Onion Sauce.

Tomato and Onion Sauce (or sos, or tamatie sos ... again, depending on your language family :) )

1 tomato, peeled (you do know how to peel a tomato, don't you?) and chopped
1/2 onion, diced
100 ml (~1/3 cup) cooking oil

Brown onions in oil. Add tomato and stir. Reduce. Add salt to taste. Serve over pap.

:D

P.S.: That sauce is not chakalaka.

the stuff at the top sounds like GRITS,

LEACHED CORN then it is ground up, and it's great for breakfast with eggs and bacon or sausage.

kevinlyfellow
July 4th, 2007, 08:03 AM
I know the thread has been dead for a while, but I'm hoping to bring it back to life. Here's my Almond and Raisin Couscous recipe

Ingredients:
1 Cup Couscous
1 ½ Cups Beef Broth
2 palmfuls Slivered Almonds
1 palmful Raisins
Honey (Optional)

Directions:
Mix couscous and beef broth in a sauce pan. Cook for 5 minutes by bringing it to a boil and then turning the heat off and covering. While the couscous is cooking, toast the almonds in a frying pan. When couscous is done, mix almonds and raisins in the couscous and fluff. Serve hot with honey on the side.

BTW, earlier there was a post about the program "Gourmet". Be sure to get the latest at sourceforge, I was led to install version 0.13.3, just a heads up!

sw1995
July 4th, 2007, 09:28 AM
Lemon Bars:

www.stevenwirth.net

kevinlyfellow
July 4th, 2007, 09:45 AM
Lemon Bars:

www.stevenwirth.net

That looks great, but just one question, what's with the flash object on your site?

sw1995
July 4th, 2007, 02:39 PM
That looks great, but just one question, what's with the flash object on your site?

Lol, that shouldn't be there--it is was on my old site and I recently tore it down (long story), leaving nothing but my trusty lemon bar recipe. Thanks for pointing that out.

hellmet
July 4th, 2007, 05:09 PM
This is just one of the many reasons why I hang out on these forums. We get to discuss nearly every aspect of life, including those related to our taste buds. Great going guys and gals !!

illu45
July 4th, 2007, 05:43 PM
One of the few things I can cook.

Chicken Dijon

Chicken Breasts
Dijon Mustard
Sour Cream (can be substituted with Mayonnaise)
Salt & Pepper

Take chicken breasts, cover lightly with salt and pepper (other spices if desired)
Mix sour cream and mustard in a bowl, at about 1:1 ratio (can use fewer parts mustard if prefered)
Generously cover chicken breasts with mixture
Place chicken on a sheet covered with aluminum foil
Put chicken in oven at 355F, for about 35-30, until brown and no longer pink in middle

smbm
July 4th, 2007, 10:07 PM
I made a good sandwich earlier:

2 slices of rye bread

1 slice of corned beef

2 slices of jarlsberg cheese

1 very heaped tablespoon of coleslaw.

Simple but good.

Rutabega
July 7th, 2007, 11:37 AM
Chick Pea Curry

Preparation Time: 15 Minutes
Total Cooking Time: 40-45 Minutes
Serves: 4

2 Onions
4 Cloves Garlic
1 Tablespoon ghee or oil
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon chilli powder
1 teaspoon Turmeric
1 teaspoon Paprika
1 tablespoon ground Coriander
1 Tablespoon Ground Cumin
440g (14oz) Canned Tomato Pieces
2x 440g (14oz) Chickpeas Drained
1 Teaspoon Garam Masala

1. Slice onions finely; crush the garlic. Heat ghee or oil in a medium pan. Add onions and garlic to pan; cook over medium heat, stirring, until soft.
2. Add the chilli powder, salt, turmeric, paprika, cumin and coriander. Stir over heat for 1 minute.
3. Add Chickpeas and undrained tomatoes, stir until combined. Simmer, covered, over low heat for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in garam masala. Simmer, covered for another 10 minutes. Then serve

kevinlyfellow
July 15th, 2007, 10:11 AM
A pizza crust to go with the sauce posted earlier

Ingredients
---
9 fl oz Warm Water
3 Cups Bread Flour
2 1/2 tsp. sugar
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 Tbs. Olive Oil
1/2 tsp yeast
1/4 Cup cornmeal

---
Instructions
---

1. Measure out 1 cup of warm/hotish water. Mix hot water with sugar,
salt, yeast, and olive oil.
2. In a large bowl, mix the 2 cups of flour and baking soda
together.
3. Stir in the liquids and mix together. This will probably be
too wet, gradually mix in the remaining flour or cornmeal until it is
the correct moisture. It should be only slightly sticky to the touch.
4. Knead the dough for 40 minutes by hand, let rise in a warmed
(but off) oven for 1 hour. Alternatively use a bread machine to knead
and rise the dough. Start preheating you oven if it is not in use for
about 20 minutes before the dough is done rising.
5. Spread cornmeal on a baking sheet. Flatten the dough. This
is usually done with your hands or a rolling pin. The toppings should
inhibit the dough rising in the central parts and the crust will rise
much bigger whether you use a rolling pin and make it a uniform
flatness or not.
6. Put your desired toppings on, or put in fillings and fold over
to make a calzone.
7. Bake on a sheet or on a stone in a 450 degree oven for about
15 minutes. This dough works well to cook with the toppings on it, so
don't bake first then top and re-bake.

---
Notes
---

Tip: A good method that I use is to place the dough on a large baking
sheet (with no walls) covered in cornmeal. When it is done rising,
take it out and press it into shape on the baking sheet. You can then
use the baking sheet as a peel! But be sure to shake the pizza loose
before trying to put it onto the stone! Its also useful for taking
the pizza out, and you can cut the pizza right on that.

Ultra Magnus
July 15th, 2007, 01:54 PM
Toast:

Ingredients:
-Bread
-Toaster

twin_57103
August 20th, 2007, 05:23 AM
Sausage and potato stew
3 cans (10.75 oz) condensed cream of mushroom soup (reduced sodium preferred)
1 box (32 oz) reduced sodium chicken broth
1 to 1.5 pounds mild italian sausage, browned and drained
3-4 medium potatoes (Yukon gold preferred), cut into 1" pieces (leave skins on)
1 package (16 oz) fresh, sliced mushrooms
1 large onion, coarsely chopped
1 Tbsp italian seasoning (or to taste)
1 or more bay leaves
Pepper to taste (coarsely/freshly ground preferred)

Combine soups in a crock pot and mix thoroughly. Add remaining ingredients and cook until vegetables are done, about 4 hours on high. Can also be cooked on the stovetop, probably 60 to 90 minutes. Remove bay leaves before serving.

To cook and freeze: do not use mushrooms (they get chewy when thawed). Substitute celery or carrots for mushrooms.

twin_57103
August 20th, 2007, 05:34 AM
First, the super easy version:
1 can each tomato soup, nacho cheese soup, and chicken broth (reduced sodium preferred)
1 can diced green chiles
1 can cooked chicken
Combine, warm up, and serve with shredded cheese and tortilla chips

The fancy/potluck version
2 cans each tomato soup, nacho cheese soup, and chicken broth (reduced sodium preferred)
2 cans diced green chiles
1-2 cooked chicken breasts, chopped
1 can Ro-tel, any variety (seasoned diced tomatoes; look in the Mexican section in the supermarket)
1 onion, chopped
1 small can corn
Chopped fresh cilantro, to taste, reserve a little for garnish

Combine and cook until onion is soft. Garnish with cilantro. Serve with tortilla chips and shredded cheese.