PDA

View Full Version : Oh the shame...

WestAussieUbu
August 13th, 2006, 07:16 AM
I was just referred by a mate to http://forums.jamcomputers.net, with the high recommendation that they could fix a couple of problems i have with an old windows box (which funnily enough, i'm trying to convert to linux :-D ) however, upon arrival all i found was some guys who have no idea what they're on about.

The first topic I found, 'What's "64-bit"' (http://forums.jamcomputers.net/index.php?showtopic=233), was a real eye-opener. The 'admin' siko_michael replied to this topic with the following answer: "Its basically better graphics...a 64 Bit OS has better graphics than a 32 Bit OS". I was appalled as an seasoned computer geek myself, that this guy claims to be the 'PC Expert' of this so caluled 'company'. To make matters worse, a fellow admin touts 'Another case solved by siko' before closing the thread. After a bit more prying I found another topic 'linux-intro' (http://forums.jamcomputers.net/index.php?showtopic=73), I seriously had a chuckle when I read the admin's reply there: "Linux is a free OS, created by a programming language more complex than windows, etc". That really got me l.m.a.o'ing!

Oh but the icing on the cake was this thread, Distributions (http://forums.jamcomputers.net/index.php?showtopic=314), where the admin were asked why there were no forums for Debian or Gentoo GN U Linux. Once again, Siko_Michael in all his majestic computer knowledge replied, "Well, we dont know very much about linux, so we just got the major linux distributions." Hello McFly! If it wasn't obvious enough. So seeing this i checked out their thread looking for a Linux Staff Member, one poor soul, KrisDwyer, had applied for this position but was told that he had two strikes against his name. Co-admin Superhall wrote,

"How about this...

Kris, you seem quite knowledgeable about Linux and computers in general. However, there are two strikes against you: 1. You're not active. 2. There aren't currently enough Linux using members (in fact, none) for you to help. If you become more active and are able to bring in some Linux members from other forums (don't just make puppets either), then you will almost assuredly have a Staff position."

The irony of this all is the fact there have been at least ten cases that they have incorrectly answered with Linux members and hence have done nothing to make themselves anymore reputable. As for the activeness, these guys are barely active as is, and furthermore KrisDwyer explained his reasoning for his lack of activity. And the irony of all this is the fact they were grovelling for a staff member in the first place.

It just goes to show how overlooked Linux truly is. These admin's have claimed to have used Linspire and the like (nothing really considering they are one of the more friendly distro's around, and don't cater for the needs of a serious user). At the end of the day, if u want a laugh, or just want to have the linux side of ur brain cringe in pain, check out http://forums.jamcomputers.net

Iandefor
August 13th, 2006, 07:37 AM
rofl...

hoo-boy, that's a funny site.

My favorites? Beta anyone try it? (http://forums.jamcomputers.net/index.php?showtopic=282) And Will Longhorn be the End of Windows? (http://forums.jamcomputers.net/index.php?showtopic=45), where we see more than one gem.

So right now it looks bleak for the Windows OS series but it is rumured(sp) the new Windows Longhorn system will have a 128-bit server/engine. Also note that the new XBOX 360 gaming systems has already said to have a 128-bit server/engine so we will just have to see!
i'd add that Longhorn is a new try of the Microsoft team to get rid of Windows...i know that sounds kinda ridiculous, but i think that Microsoft guys know that Windows has no more future, so they shuffled the Longhorn project aimed for the hi-end PC's built on 64- and 128-bit technology (such as Inter Pentium 3,2... GHz or AMD 64)...so they say it's a new era of Microsoft...their trying to stay in business and get big $$$ out of it again!
I wouldnt suggest using this yet...it will probably have some bugs and kinks in it for a while till they are noticed and fixed. As to that last one... does he not understand the concept of a Beta product? Either way, it's best to leave these people in their own special corner and let them continue to believe they understand the industry.

Polygon
August 13th, 2006, 09:09 AM
what exactly IS a "128-bit server/engine"? :D

Fac51
August 13th, 2006, 09:15 AM
that's F'd up, i registered... and now i'm reposting stuff with proper info

http://forums.jamcomputers.net/index.php?showtopic=812
check that link when you get a chance...they're not gonna like that one... lol

Lord Illidan
August 13th, 2006, 09:29 AM
Blurrgh...

Oh the shame of it!

bjweeks
August 13th, 2006, 10:08 AM
:rolleyes:

Kernel Sanders
August 13th, 2006, 10:09 AM
:p Gahahahahahah

Excellent find, but it made me ](*,) a few times! :p

bonzodog
August 13th, 2006, 12:12 PM
oh, jeez....these guys really do not know what they are talking about, but I have noticed that it doesn't have many users anyway, seems to be 3 or 4 members of staff talking to each other.

Tomosaur
August 13th, 2006, 12:26 PM
Fools.

OffHand
August 13th, 2006, 12:30 PM
LOL... what a bunch of n00bs. Good laugh though :D
I am going to sent the people I don't like to this website if they have computer problems :twisted:

beniwtv
August 13th, 2006, 01:30 PM
I hope that page is an april fool? :mrgreen:

Good find. Have never laughed so much.... :D

EdThaSlayer
August 13th, 2006, 02:52 PM

check that link when you get a chance...they're not gonna like that one... lol

i read your entire post...
and those admins from that site havent even replied yet
good job =D>
you outsmarted them :cool:

bjweeks
August 13th, 2006, 03:16 PM
i read your entire post...
and those admins from that site havent even replied yet
good job =D>
you outsmarted them :cool:

Not very hard :rolleyes:

picpak
August 13th, 2006, 04:31 PM
http://forums.jamcomputers.net/index.php?showtopic=314

Why is there no section for Debian or Gentoo Gnu/Linux ?

Well, we dont know very much about linux, so we just got the major linux distributions.

Geez, all they had to do was Google "Linux" and find Ubuntu, Debian, Gentoo, etc.

I like this reply:

Debian and Gentoo ARE major distros

are you guys getting paid to give your bad information?

WestAussieUbu
August 13th, 2006, 04:43 PM
I've also noticed they lock all topics after they're 'solved'. WTF!

OOOOOOOO! This is class - how to become a staff member -

To become staff, u must help a JAM member with a computer problem and have at least 50 posts.

siko

zenwhen
August 13th, 2006, 05:21 PM
It's just like the Nintendo 64 right? Right?????

bjweeks
August 13th, 2006, 05:24 PM
It's just like the Nintendo 64 right? Right?????

I have a Nintendo 128! HA!

Lord Illidan
August 13th, 2006, 05:30 PM
I've also noticed they lock all topics after they're 'solved'. WTF!

OOOOOOOO! This is class - how to become a staff member -

If we did that here...the number of forum staff would be....>10,000 maybe?

Iandefor
August 13th, 2006, 07:31 PM

check that link when you get a chance...they're not gonna like that one... lol yay! I can't wait to see how that goes.

And what the heck is up with them locking the threads all over the place?

BuffaloX
August 13th, 2006, 08:14 PM
what exactly IS a "128-bit server/engine"? :D

Bah 128 bit is old, I have Geforce 256:p

Athlon 64x2 must definately be 128 bit, unless my calculator is wrong...

I guess with both the Athlon 64x2 and the geforce 256 it would be a 384 bit system.

I wonder why it's not marketed.:confused:

;)

But how it can work, when only 32 and 64 bit OS is available beats me...
Does it run 6 times in paralel?

Iandefor
August 13th, 2006, 08:44 PM
Bah 128 bit is old, I have Geforce 256:p

Athlon 64x2 must definately be 128 bit, unless my calculator is wrong...

I guess with both the Athlon 64x2 and the geforce 256 it would be a 384 bit system.

I wonder why it's not marketed.:confused:

;)

But how it can work, when only 32 and 64 bit OS is available beats me...
Does it run 6 times in paralel? ... you're missing what the concept of 64-bit is. Each core accepts 64 bits of input at a time. But unless you can split a thread in two and run half on one core and one on the other (Ironically, they're actually working on this- google for Reverse-hyperthreading), you can't call it "128-bit". Even if they could do it, it wouldn't really be real 128-bit.

When each core accepts 128 bits of input natively, you could call it 128-bit. But that won't happen for a while. Look at how poorly 64-bit support is right now- they're not going to jump ahead and start on the next part of the doubling series when the current iteration is foundering.

kriding
August 13th, 2006, 09:00 PM
hada good laugh. I replied to your thread Fac51..lets see if they do, there was a staff member on when I did.

Erik Trybom
August 13th, 2006, 09:40 PM
Bah, let them have their little fun. In a few years when they've grown up a bit they'll realize their own incompetence and probably shut the site down. I mean, I had a home page when I was 15 years old and it was complete with rotating gif-skulls, starfield background, midi music and links to Altavista and Winamp. If somebody had told me it sucked he would have pointed out the obvious, but I couldn't do any better since I knew nothing of web design. Neither would these guys benefit from a bunch of linux users bashing their forum.

Read, have fun, and leave them alone is my advice. Since they're mostly staff members talking to each other they can't do much harm, can they?

Lord Illidan
August 13th, 2006, 09:45 PM
Bah, let them have their little fun. In a few years when they've grown up a bit they'll realize their own incompetence and probably shut the site down. I mean, I had a home page when I was 15 years old and it was complete with rotating gif-skulls, starfield background, midi music and links to Altavista and Winamp. If somebody had told me it sucked he would have pointed out the obvious, but I couldn't do any better since I knew nothing of web design. Neither would these guys benefit from a bunch of linux users bashing their forum.

Read, have fun, and leave them alone is my advice. Since they're mostly staff members talking to each other they can't do much harm, can they?

Aye, I think I agree with you on the last point. IMHO, if we want to comment, we should just pass them an e-mail.

kostkon
August 13th, 2006, 09:54 PM

Ah yes, no harm! I saw the forum statistics; it has about 200 member where only about the 50 of them are somewhat active. Thus, no much harm for many people I think.

It is a FOAF situation I undestand...

BuffaloX
August 13th, 2006, 10:32 PM
... you're missing what the concept of 64-bit is.

Are you saying my system isn't 384 bit. :rolleyes:
I want my money back.:D
I was only kidding. ;)

Exactly... I guess they'll learn pretty quickly.
Maybe the forum could even get to be actually good.
Even if it's only about 50 people now, it could get bigger and better in time.

The basic idea of being willing to help each other is good, I hope it will work out for them.

Fac51
August 14th, 2006, 07:21 AM
holy hell, you guys are great....
anyway, i wonder why the admins have not commented on my posts... i bet they won't lock them, just delete them.
what lame *** bastards they be *yAaaaAAaaRARrrRrRrR*

wow, i have no life

superhall
August 14th, 2006, 05:27 PM
Greetings, everyone,

Just thought I'd drop in here and defend my forum.

One thing that amazed me as I read this thread was that you guys seriously don't have lives. Think about it, you just spent 3 pages talking about and bashing JAM Computers.

Siko and I have never said that we're above being wrong. You've spent lots of time, energy, and forum space on the whole 64-bt, 32-bit deal. If we find out that we're wrong, we're not going to argue about it, however, we'll continue to learn more about computers and give our members the best answers we possibly can. This is why we have staff members. The more knowledgable people we have on our forum, the better, so that we can give our members good information. EDIT: KrisDwyer is now our Linux staff member, so we hope we can better help our Linux members. /Edit.

PUT UP OR SHUT UP.

If you seriously think we know nothing about computers, then stop sitting here crying to your mother about it. JOIN JAM Computers and SHOW US when we're wrong. You obviously have plenty of time on your hands, so either help us out, or leave us alone.

superhall
JAM Admin
Co-Founder

Spif
August 14th, 2006, 05:41 PM
Browsed their forum a bit... Funny stuff!

Brunellus
August 14th, 2006, 06:28 PM
I should note here that it's probably better ofr all concerned that any potential snarking is confined to users' "home" forums, as wading into debates elsewhere usually degenerates into trolling.

Iandefor
August 14th, 2006, 06:39 PM
Greetings, everyone,

One thing that amazed me as I read this thread was that you guys seriously don't have lives. Think about it, you just spent 3 pages talking about and bashing JAM Computers. For one, you don't know me. Don't say whether or not I have a life based on a single thread. 29 posts went before me. In a forum of over 100,000 users. Are you really that surprised?

Siko and I have never said that we're above being wrong. You've spent lots of time, energy, and forum space on the whole 64-bt, 32-bit deal. If we find out that we're wrong, we're not going to argue about it, however, we'll continue to learn more about computers and give our members the best answers we possibly can. This is why we have staff members. When you claim to be an expert, and don't even know your field well enough to know the difference between x86 and x86_64, you are not telling the truth, be it because you are lying or because you don't know any better. I'm referring almost entirely to siko_michael, since he's the one whose lack of experience really shines.

The more knowledgable people we have on our forum, the better, so that we can give our members good information. EDIT: KrisDwyer is now our Linux staff member, so we hope we can better help our Linux members. /Edit. There you go.

PUT UP OR SHUT UP. Read the forum guidelines before you post.

If you seriously think we know nothing about computers, then stop sitting here crying to your mother about it. JOIN JAM Computers and SHOW US when we're wrong. You obviously have plenty of time on your hands, so either help us out, or leave us alone. None of us here are crying over your ignorance. Also, a few of us have, in fact, joined up to do just what you're describing- me included. And, again, you're mistaking the fact that we have a lot of users who post for the fact that we have no lives. Look at how many people have posted here excluding you: 18. Just a few of them twice. That more than accounts for 29 posts and three pages of thread with the forum's default page length of 10 posts.

kostkon
August 14th, 2006, 06:55 PM
Greetings, everyone,

Hello superhall,

Of course, you have the right to do it!

One thing that amazed me as I read this thread was that you guys seriously don't have lives. Think about it, you just spent 3 pages talking about and bashing JAM Computers.

Ehm, maybe you are right, maybe is like you say. But I can explain; we are all here trying to be a good community and help each other. We like very much what we are doing, and at every oppportunity (say it free time) we try to be here at this very forum to help, exchange views and say how much we love to use the Ubuntu OS, which is the reason why this forum exists.

The same is for you, you cofounded your forum because you like computers and you wanted to share this with other people and share the knowledge you gain every day with other people, and help them. You can see we share same goals.

Now about the bashing. Yeah, it was bashing but not direct at you. I never though (I also did posted here) that you'll see this thread at some time. It was faceless. But, also, it was a message from the poster that brought this to us, that at your forums some information is wrong and maybe someone is needed to make this clear to you.

Siko and I have never said that we're above being wrong. You've spent lots of time, energy, and forum space on the whole 64-bt, 32-bit deal. If we find out that we're wrong, we're not going to argue about it, however, we'll continue to learn more about computers and give our members the best answers we possibly can. This is why we have staff members. The more knowledgable people we have on our forum, the better, so that we can give our members good information. EDIT: KrisDwyer is now our Linux staff member, so we hope we can better help our Linux members. /Edit.

You're right!

PUT UP OR SHUT UP.

If you seriously think we know nothing about computers, then stop sitting here crying to your mother about it. JOIN JAM Computers and SHOW US when we're wrong. You obviously have plenty of time on your hands, so either help us out, or leave us alone.

Hmmm!! A little agressive here!! But, as a matter of fact, some people from here did join your forum and this is only good. Now you can see that the whole thing had a good result, and I hope that you will, too, take the opportunity and be a active member of this forum here and even try Ubuntu. Then you'll learn more from here and people we'll learn from you, and you can transfer any info you like from here to your own forum and enrich it.

Good luck...

Fac51
August 14th, 2006, 07:15 PM
lol
nice... "put up or shut up"
LAME

Brunellus
August 14th, 2006, 07:24 PM
we have now begun the descent into flames and inanity. Thread closed.