PDA

View Full Version : I used to use windows 10

guinea2
February 25th, 2017, 04:39 PM
Until I found out that it was sending all your data to Microsoft and (apparently) you can't disable all of the privacy settings, so now I use Windows 8.1 on that laptop. Has anyone else switch to a different OS because of this?

ventrical
February 25th, 2017, 04:50 PM
Windows 10 is a modified version of XP. Nothing has changed in the areas of security and process and service capabilities. From a security standpoint (from a perspective of spending several years developing anti-malware theory and working malware removal stacks) it is the worst ever.

I use Windows 10 only for testing. I worked UNIX in 1990 and transitioned from there to Windows products. I have been working LINUX since it's inception and currently test ubuntu products , stable and unstable, as my main edge devices.

Regards..

uNoubu8a
February 25th, 2017, 05:07 PM
I initially jumped back to Windows 7, then updates were sent out to Windows 7 and 8 enabling many of the same telemetry data collection used in Windows 10. So I am using Ubuntu.

lysander6662
February 25th, 2017, 05:55 PM
The last [and probably final] Windows version I bought was 7. I didn't like or see the point in upgrading to 8 and after Xbox One was announced I didn't trust MS with privacy, lesser still since Windows 10 was announced. Cortana concerned me. It was like MS wanted users to have an emotional relationship with their OS to the point where they would divulge everything to it, from needed information to feelings and personal concerns. It's highly worrying.

RobGoss
February 25th, 2017, 08:18 PM
Microsoft has always been privacy hungry and will continue to do so with every OS they create. There should be a fine line between using our personal information for their own gain

After about 15-years as a Windows user I'm am a Linux user only and loving it

poorguy
February 25th, 2017, 08:49 PM
A very useful tool for any Windows 7 Windows 8 / 8.1 / Windows 10 users.

https://www.safer-networking.org/spybot-anti-beacon/

QIII
February 25th, 2017, 09:04 PM
I want to remind everyone that there are no brownie points given here for being anti-Microsoft nor do we allow bashing of other OSes or their purveyors. This thread is shaving it pretty close.

A matter-of-fact discussion of legitimate privacy concerns with Windows 10 is certainly allowable. But there have been some insinuations of ill-intent vis-a-vis Microsoft's motivations. Don't go there. I have too often had to close interesting and important discussions because they start to go over the line.

lysander6662
February 25th, 2017, 09:05 PM
Microsoft has always been privacy hungry and will continue to do so with every OS they create. There should be a fine line between using our personal information for their own gain

After about 15-years as a Windows user I'm am a Linux user only and loving it

MS will not be releasing another OS in the near future, as far as I understand it, they will just keeping updating W10. Also updates cannot be disabled.

RobGoss
February 25th, 2017, 09:14 PM
MS will not be releasing another OS in the near future, as far as I understand it, they will just keeping updating W10. Also updates cannot be disabled.

That's great to hear, Windows 10 is in my option one of the best OS's MS has made since XP, if they continue to update Windows 10, I think they may have a great operating system

HermanAB
February 25th, 2017, 10:05 PM
My main gripe with Win10 is that it is slow and clunky. The spyware can be disabled with a combination of 3rd party tools and a few rules in your router. So, as usual, Windows is only secure if you hide it behind a Linux machine. Don't plug a Windows machine directly into the internet.

bearlake
February 26th, 2017, 01:26 AM
Windows 10 isn't my cup of tea but many others love it and had no problems with malware or viruses.

The OS is only as safe as the operator/person/jerk behind the keyboard.

ventrical
February 28th, 2017, 01:52 AM
Windows 10 isn't my cup of tea but many others love it and had no problems with malware or viruses.

The OS is only as safe as the operator/person/jerk behind the keyboard.

Ahh ... umm... Windows XP Installer had this repeating message during the installation process that "Windows XP is the most secure ever" and that had proven out to be extremely far from the truth. And now history is repeating itself over 15 years later. https://www.thurrott.com/windows/windows-10/85009/microsoft-windows-10-version-1607-secure-windows-ever

I'm not personally bashing Windows/microsoft. I am just trying to set the record straight.

Regards..

hennmann
February 28th, 2017, 03:10 AM
That's great to hear, Windows 10 is in my option one of the best OS's MS has made since XP, if they continue to update Windows 10, I think they may have a great operating system I find that very debatable that 10 could be as good as XP (I'm still morning the loss after they pulled the plug)because my pet peeve is it makes my damn PC to damn "appy!" or should I say is attempting to make my PC into a smart phone and if I want to do something or open something, right away it sends me to the app store making me beleive they want to emulate Apple because using my iPhone you need to obtain or purchase an APP! Yes I know we shouldnt be bashing OS here (and I apologise) just like I sometimes (well always) bash Linux distro's for having to use the terminal and commands (ugggg, I'm terminally ill trying to figure out how to use it) Right now I'm sitting at 5.10 pondering at how foolish I should attempt to be such as "is it possible to upgrade from 5.10, or just lobotomize 5.10 and do a complete reinstallation of 16.10 when I'm proficient at not knowing much about Linux

oldos2er
February 28th, 2017, 03:35 AM
And with that I believe we are done.

If you have a technical support question regarding a currently supported Ubuntu version, please ask in the appropriate support area of the forum.