PDA

View Full Version : Old Case, New Build

daniell59
February 24th, 2017, 08:21 PM
At some point I want to build another computer. I love my present case. It is a ten year old Lian Li. Made of aluminum with a removable MB tray. The fans are all 80mm. I don't know whether 80mm fans would be adequate for a modern build.

DuckHook
February 24th, 2017, 09:08 PM
Interesting project, but not an Ubuntu support question, so moved to Cafe.

My answer to your question is: surely it depends on what you want to fill it with, no? A high-end CPU and hot graphics card will require way more cooling. An Atom CPU with MOBO GPU will not require any fan at all.

CharlesA
February 25th, 2017, 05:03 AM
I've transplanted between cases for far too long. As long as the cooling works and there is air moving over the components you should be "OK." If it will work long term depends on how much heat your components are putting out too. What case were you thinking of using?

mörgæs
February 25th, 2017, 11:48 AM
If your present gear is ten years old there is a good chance that we can make a useable system out of it without replacing hardware.

uNoubu8a
February 25th, 2017, 11:59 AM
Well the interesting thing with modern CPU's are that the power draw and heat loss is reducing (while the speed gains have also sadly become less and less). The new range of Ryzen CPU's draw even less power, I am sure with good cable management, good quality fans etc. you will be fine too use the case :)

oldfred
February 25th, 2017, 03:41 PM
I reused my old case from 2006 and tried to reuse power supply from 2010.
Case has worked, but has no USB3 ports on front, so just added a long cable from back to front.
New connector for front seems to be a combined multi-pin where old case had separate pin connectors.
I wish I had purchased new case just for all the niggling little issues.

And while power supply was ATX standard and large enough, it would only light up new motherboard and cause lots of flashing lights on various errors. New power supply and system worked without issue.

rickrodriguez1971
March 2nd, 2017, 08:03 PM
I have done this many time the cooling is not much of a n issue
the Power Suppl is, get a modern PS and all should be good