PDA

View Full Version : Installation of Nvidia driver does not finish

DB4711
February 23rd, 2017, 10:26 PM
Hello,

I installed Ubuntu 16.04.2 on my XMG C405 with GTX 965m.

When I try to install any Nvidia drivers the installation stops at about 95%. I cannot abort this. Rebooting does not "repair" this problem. E.g. when I want to install any other software I get this error:

E: Could not ge lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (11: Resource temporarily
unavailable)
E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), is another process using it?

I tried to install the drivers directly after Ubuntu installation via "Additional Drivers utility" and after reinstalling Ubuntu with:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:graphics-drivers/ppa
sudo apt update
and then "Additional Drivers utility"

Tried it now for 10 times without success...

Does someone has an idea where the problem could be?

Thanks for your help!

lisati
February 23rd, 2017, 10:31 PM
Check that you don't have something like Software Centre or Update Manager running, closing them if necessary. If that doesn't help, rebooting sometimes helps.

Autodave
February 24th, 2017, 12:26 AM
Agree w/lisati: sounds like an update is running. You may just want to leave the machine on and running for 1/2 hour and try again: that should let the updating get completed.

You can also go into SETTINGS -> SOFTWARE & UPDATES -> ADDITIONAL DRIVERS and let that search for the latest one. I believe that 375.39 is the latest version and is what I am using.

DB4711
February 24th, 2017, 08:33 AM
Hello,

thanks for your help!

Do I understand it correct that I should leave the machine on and running for a while directly after initial installation and then begin to install drivers and so on?

I tried to install gparted directly after initial Ubuntu installation. It was installed without any problems. But Nvidia driver does not install as described whenever I try it.