PDA

View Full Version : upgrade 16.04 to 16.04.2

koaung2
February 23rd, 2017, 06:03 AM
how to upgrade 16.04 to 16.04.2 without boot error.

QIII
February 23rd, 2017, 06:05 AM
Hello!

Have you already upgraded and encountered an error, or are you asking before you upgrade?

bearlake
February 23rd, 2017, 06:09 AM
how to upgrade 16.04 to 16.04.2 without boot error.

If you been updating all along, then you are likely at 16.04.02

In terminal type:

lsb_release -a

Please post your results.

Edit: darn he's fast

koaung2
February 23rd, 2017, 07:06 AM
i mean i want to upgrade 16.04 to 16.04.2. when i upgrade 16.04 to 16.10 i go the boot error.So how to prepare before upgrade 16.04.2 and i want to know "dist-upgrade" is enought to upgrade or i should use "do-release-upgrade -d" ?What should i do and what kind of command can i use ?

deadflowr
February 23rd, 2017, 07:25 AM
There is no upgrade from 16.04 to 16.04.2, only simply updates; that you should be doing anyway.
16.04 = 16/04.2, they are one and the same.
The sole difference being 16.04.2 has all the updates from the initial release (In this case April 2016) already applied (as of Feb 2017).

If the goal is to get to 16.10 then you can do that with do-release-upgrade.
no need for the development flag (the -d ), it's not in development.

And it should not matter if the upgrade is done with a fresh install of 16.04 or a fully updated install of 16.04.2.
(I've done a few upgrades directly from a fresh installation of one LTS release into another LTS release, simply because there is no point installing updates for a system that will have all those updates wiped out with a completely new set up updates. The release-upgrader installs updates for all packages that would be currently in the new version's archives.)

If you are getting some booting error caused by trying to upgrade releases from 16.04 to 16.10 then that should be addressed in it's own thread, perhaps.
With details.

Or explain better what booting error you have.

koaung2
February 23rd, 2017, 07:32 AM
There is no upgrade from 16.04 to 16.04.2, only simply updates; that you should be doing anyway.
16.04 = 16/04.2, they are one and the same.
The sole difference being 16.04.2 has all the updates from the initial release (In this case April 2016) already applied (as of Feb 2017).

If the goal is to get to 16.10 then you can do that with do-release-upgrade.
no need for the development flag (the -d ), it's not in development.

And it should not matter if the upgrade is done with a fresh install of 16.04 or a fully updated install of 16.04.2.
(I've done a few upgrades directly from a fresh installation of one LTS release into another LTS release, simply because there is no point installing updates for a system that will have all those updates wiped out with a completely new set up updates. The release-upgrader installs updates for all packages that would be currently in the new version's archives.)

If you are getting some booting error caused by trying to upgrade releases from 16.04 to 16.10 then that should be addressed in it's own thread, perhaps.
With details.

Or explain better what booting error you have.

Do you mean i can't upgrade 16.04 to 16.04.2 or 16.04.1 ? If i want to upgrade,do i need fresh install ?

deadflowr
February 23rd, 2017, 07:36 AM
Do you mean i can't upgrade 16.04 to 16.04.2 or 16.04.1 ? If i want to upgrade,do i need fresh install ?
?
Did you read what I posted?

Or is this not actually about updating to 16.04.2 but rather updating the hardware stack from the original hardware stack to the newer 16.10 stack.
(Like upgrading from the original 4.4 kernel series to the 16.10 4.8 kernel series)
If that's the case please read :
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/LTSEnablementStack

DuckHook
February 23rd, 2017, 07:53 AM
I take it that you installed Xenial when it first came out, are now running the 4.4.x kernel and would like to upgrade to the 4.8.x kernel as well as its associated new X-related apps and services? If so, then what you are looking to do is to upgrade to the new hardware enablement stack:
sudo apt install -s --install-recommends xserver-xorg-hwe-16.04The write-up for this is here: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/LTSEnablementStack#Ubuntu_16.04_LTS_-_Xenial_Xerus

Make sure that you back everything of value up first.

koaung2
February 23rd, 2017, 08:22 AM
Thank you for all.Now i am clear and know what should i do.

ajgreeny
February 23rd, 2017, 12:04 PM
Be warned that if you upgrade the hardware enablement stack now to the 16.10 version, you will start chasing your tail and have to do the same thing again in a few months time when the 16.10 HWE loses its support.

I often wonder why users rush to update the HWE when the original versions in the OSs are supported for 5 years, or 3 years in the case of the other DE versions. If you need better hardware support as you have, for example, very new graphics and must use the newest xorg and kernel, it may be worthwhile, but generally it is best to stick with the default in an LTS and get the stability that comes with the system.

howefield
February 23rd, 2017, 12:10 PM
Be warned that if you upgrade the hardware enablement stack now to the 16.10 version, you will start chasing your tail and have to do the same thing again in a few months time when the 16.10 HWE loses its support.

Not anymore, as I understand it, from 16.04.2 the upgrade through the HWE stacks will be automatic as opposed to having to manually upgrade as was the case in previous LTS installs.

I often wonder why users rush to update the HWE when the original versions in the OSs are supported for 5 years, or 3 years in the case of the other DE versions. If you need better hardware support as you have, for example, very new graphics and must use the newest xorg and kernel, it may be worthwhile, but generally it is best to stick with the default in an LTS and get the stability that comes with the system.

I think much of the time people didn't realise the 5 years didn't apply in those cases and ended up being burned, which is why it's a moot point now, at least for the current LTS :)

ajgreeny
February 23rd, 2017, 12:30 PM
Ah! I admit I had read that but forgotten about the change, so thanks for the reminder howefield.

I stick with LTS versions only for my main system, and do not bother with the HWE updates, as my hardware versions are not brand new, and weren't even when I purchased the machine so I have never needed the upgrades for hardware support.

howefield
February 23rd, 2017, 12:36 PM
I stick with LTS versions only for my main system, and do not bother with the HWE updates, as my hardware versions are not brand new, and weren't even when I purchased the machine so I have never needed the upgrades for hardware support.

You're right, if hardware works then there is no need to upgrade. Must admit I generally prefer new bugs to old bugs so usually follow the HWE and glad it won't be so onerous this time around with 16.04. I labour under the belief that newer (probably) means performance gains :)

Keith_Helms
February 24th, 2017, 01:07 AM
Ah! I admit I had read that but forgotten about the change, so thanks for the reminder howefield.

The thing is, once 16.04.2 came out, you have to hunt for 16.04 and 16.04.1 in order to avoid automatically getting on the HWE treadmill. 16.04.2 is what the download page points you to as the latest LTS release.

DuckHook
February 24th, 2017, 02:48 AM
But starting with the Yaketty kernel in 16.04.2, won't the HWE upgrade process simply feel like another regular kernel upgrade? If it gets installed automagically, it will hardly feel like a treadmill—just another kernel upgrade with a few more associated dependencies. New users who start out now with the 16.04.2 ISO will think that's the way it's always been. For the rest of us, installing the latest HWE stack will be the last time we will have to specifically do so.

I've upgraded all of my machines including servers and VMs to the latest HWE. Everything went smoothly and no problems so far (knock-on-wood). I've even purged the old linux-generic-image from a few of them, but I admit that's getting rather cheeky and I'm not recommending it to others.

I'm expecting future HWE upgrades to be transparent. We'll see.