PDA

View Full Version : Lubuntu 16.10 hanging on reboot

ianmanning
February 16th, 2017, 05:53 PM
I'm a Linux novice, and have been running Lubuntu 16.10 headless on a HP Microserver Gen 8 as a file server. I have Lubuntu running from a Sandisk Ultra 16Gb Micro SD card (in the SD card slot on the motherboard). The machine has been running fine for 3 months, but became completely unresponsive yesterday (it was rejecting SSH connections and VNC connections just showed a blank screen after waiting several minutes to connect).

I did a hard power shutdown, connected a monitor to the server and rebooted. It now just hangs at the Lubuntu splash screen. Does anyone have any advice on how to diagnose the problem?

Was I wrong to be trying to run Lubuntu from a MicroSD card? I did disable journaling but could it be that the Micro SD media wasn't up to the job? (it was purchased new 3 months ago)

citguru
February 20th, 2017, 07:17 AM
It can be very annoying when you suddenly discovered that your Ubuntu pc hangs whenever you want to reboot it. Of course, there are many solutions and fixes you can easily find on the internet. Well, there are many reasons that can make your Ubuntu PC freeze during the reboot process. The reasons for Linux Ubuntu freeze during restarts sometimes could be because of low RAM, but in most cases, your Linux (kernel) doesn’t know how to perform restart set by the BIOS you have on the machine. Check out this quick fix on a site : http://www.scholarsglobe.com/2017/02/ubuntu-freezes-during-restart-heres.html. It just basically change the reboot options that will work for your ubuntu pc.