PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Error message after upgrading to 16.04 lts to 16.10

termibuntu
February 15th, 2017, 11:01 AM
Hi everyone. I recently upgraded ubuntu from 16.04 lts to 16.10. On every boot up now, I get a message saying 'sorry! ubuntu 16.10 has experienced an internal error.' which i then read under more details and saw that it was a crash, which i did not feel like there was a crash at all! The system didnt crash at all! If this continues, im going to downgrade back to 16.04 lts. My laptop specs are: model: Toshiba satellite pro l300, CPU: intel celeron 575, GPU: not sure? i know its a mobile intel though. can anyone research this?,120 gb hitachi hard drive, RAM: 1 GB. Thanks in advance.

ajgreeny
February 15th, 2017, 01:43 PM
With only 1GB ram I'm surprised you can get Ubuntu with the unity desktop to run at a speed that is acceptable to you, in fact I'm almost surprised you can get it to run at all.

When you get the Error message box pop-up click in the Details box and it will show you exactly what the problem is.
We may then be able to help you more.

termibuntu
February 15th, 2017, 01:49 PM
im not sure what the error is! it only said it was a crash. and 1gb of ram is the minimum for the unity desktop, and i can even do virtualisation on light operating systems! though soon im going to upgrade to 2gb of ram. and this error never came when i was on 16.04 lts.....

oh, the reason i can run unity is because im running a 32bit ubuntu on a 64bit processor.

termibuntu
February 16th, 2017, 11:05 AM
So, is my only option to downgrade from 16.10 to 16.04? If yes, how? I dont want to do a clean install, that will wipe my data. Is there any terminal command or something?

ian-weisser
February 16th, 2017, 01:12 PM
Since you have not provided the crash information requested in Post #2, then you seem to have already decided to reinstall 16.04.
Yes, you must preserve your data first.

Downgrading is possible, but not supported. Downgrading is not easy at all and should only be attempted by highly-skilled users.

termibuntu
February 19th, 2017, 03:54 PM
Hi! There was a new update for 16.10 a few days ago and it included fixes. Now I have no more errors. That means I don't have to downgrade. :)