PDA

View Full Version : [Solved] Advice on laptop for new-ish ubuntu user

spanby
February 11th, 2017, 05:19 PM
I am a Ph.D. student in economics and I typically do two things with my laptop: (1) write code / check email / surf youtube, and (2) run statistical analysis. I am currently running 16.04 on my Asus ROG G751, and it is wonderful for my hardcore analysis tasks. However, it is BIG and HEAVY... some days I am only writing code or writing a LaTeX document, so it doesn't make sense to carry a 15lb laptop around (slight exaggeration). Most of my computer and coding knowledge is highly specialized in the area of Economics, so for the purposes of this thread please feel free to treat me like a complete newbie.

I am looking for an inexpensive laptop that can handle Ubuntu 16.04, Sublime Text Editor 3, email through Thunderbird, and watching the occasional youtube video. My options are:

Dell Precision M70, used, $40
Would buy it from a guy on Craigslist with Ubuntu 16.04 installed
Intel Pentium M 2GHz single core
2 GB DDR2

---OR---

Lenovo ThinkPad X131e, refurbished, $60
Would buy off Ebay with Windows 10 installed
AMD E-Series (Thats all they say) 1.4 GHz dual core
4 GB DDR3

I am leaning toward the Dell. In my mind, it is like comparing a very old top-of-the-line Cadillac to a new-ish entry-level Kia.

Does anyone have an opinion on this? We are only talking about a few dollars, so it is not the end of the world if I make the wrong choice. However, I would really enjoy hearing your opinions so that I can learn for the future.

Thanks!!

-M.S.

oldos2er
February 11th, 2017, 05:25 PM
If you put Lubuntu on the Pentium M instead of default Ubuntu, it would probably perform ok except for youtube.

wildmanne39
February 11th, 2017, 05:26 PM
Thread moved to The Cafe.

spanby
February 11th, 2017, 05:42 PM
If you put Lubuntu on the Pentium M instead of default Ubuntu, it would probably perform ok except for youtube.

Thanks for the reply! Can I ask what makes you prefer the Pentium M single core over the AMD E-series dual core?

spanby
February 11th, 2017, 05:43 PM
Thread moved to The Cafe.

Ooops! Sorry for posting to the wrong area, thank you for moving me to the right place!!

oldos2er
February 11th, 2017, 05:45 PM
Thanks for the reply! Can I ask what makes you prefer the Pentium M single core over the AMD E-series dual core?

I don't prefer it, I'm woefully ignorant of AMD processors, so, no real opinion on that.

ajgreeny
February 11th, 2017, 08:42 PM
Lots of info on AMD CPUs at http://www.computershopper.com/feature/buying-guide-the-best-amd-processors.

It suggests the E series is best suited to small factor builds , but that is just that site. I can't compare the Pentium M with this AMD series either, but it is dual core, if that is of importance to you.

spanby
February 11th, 2017, 09:06 PM
Thanks everyone. I'm going with the Dell because it is already running Ubuntu and I know all the hardware is compatible.

mastablasta
February 13th, 2017, 11:29 AM
the E was probably E-350 dual core. not a bad CPU but a lot worse that it's successor E-450, which runs really nicely and it's GPU can even play some older widnows games well. it's a 64bit dual core CPU that can support up to 8 GB ram.