PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Desktop Tab with Firefox

angel mike
February 8th, 2017, 12:43 PM
I did a general update of the apps using the Synaptic tool to cure a vanishing 'Ubuntu Software' every time I tried to open it from the launcher. That worked but now every time I try to open a new tab with Firefox I get 'chrome://desktop/content/desktop.htm' plus a comment below saying 'right click in this tab to add content to the desktop'.

How do I get back to just a plain tab ? As far as I know Chrome is not on my system anyway.

howefield
February 8th, 2017, 01:47 PM
If all else fails, removing or renaming the ~/.mozilla folder will restart Firefox with a fresh profile.

Do you have any addons installed, eg something like Chrome Cast ?

angel mike
February 8th, 2017, 03:39 PM
Thanks howefield will try that.
Yes I did download the Addons program to get a way of adding web page links to the desktop but it said it did not work with the current version of Firefox.
Anyway I used the bookmark method and drag/dropped onto the desktop. Is there a way to check the addons ?

angel mike
February 8th, 2017, 03:47 PM
I uninstalled Firefox and re-installed it but did not solve the problem.

howefield
February 8th, 2017, 03:47 PM
Thanks howefield will try that.
Yes I did download the Addons program to get a way of adding web page links to the desktop but it said it did not work with the current version of Firefox.
Anyway I used the bookmark method and drag/dropped onto the desktop. Is there a way to check the addons ?

Not sure what you mean by check the add-ons ?

When Firefox is updated it generally runs a check on your add-ons on the first launch after the update to check compatibility with your add-ons, if there is an issue you have a choice of checking for an update to the add-on or disabling it.

Sounds like you just need to uninstall the problematic add-on.

howefield
February 8th, 2017, 03:49 PM
I uninstalled Firefox and re-installed it but did not solve the problem.

Uninstalling by itself won't do anything as it will leave the profile located in your ~/.mozilla folder. Removing or renaming that folder is what you need.

ajgreeny
February 8th, 2017, 05:11 PM
Go to the help menu in FF and choose "Restart with Add-ons Disabled"; that will show you if there is a problem with your add-ons.

angel mike
February 8th, 2017, 05:52 PM
Thanks to howefield and ajgreeny and will pursue the advice. This might be a dumb question but where is the help menu in FF? I click on the menu tab but see no help icon !

howefield
February 8th, 2017, 05:59 PM
This might be a dumb question but where is the help menu in FF? I click on the menu tab but see no help icon !

Unity desktop environment ?

Mouse over on the top panel and the menus should appear.. if not try Alt + F keys.

Or from the hamburger menu, click on the question mark icon.

angel mike
February 8th, 2017, 10:24 PM
Thanks howefield for the hamburger menu option - I found the question mark. Will start the investigation !

angel mike
February 8th, 2017, 10:32 PM
Great - I did as you suggested aigreeny and disabled the addons and refreshed FF - and I now have my normal setup. Thank you both !!