PDA

View Full Version : [other] where are Window Managers registered?

oui
February 7th, 2017, 11:11 AM
Hi

I did install «ratpoison» and do not find it under the window managers proposed by the display manager.

a/ where can I find the list of the window managers registered in my system?

b/ can I add ratpoison myself? if not, what is to do (invoque some ready to use routine like «sudo update-locale LANG=de_DE.UTF-8 LANGUAGE» in case of changing locales/language)?

e/ window manager switcher on fly?

kind regards

vasa1
February 7th, 2017, 12:16 PM
Hi

I did install «ratpoison» and do not find it under the window managers proposed by the display manager.

a/ where can I find the list of the window managers registered in my system?

b/ can I add ratpoison myself? if not, what is to do (invoque some ready to use routine like «sudo update-locale LANG=de_DE.UTF-8 LANGUAGE» in case of changing locales/language)?

c/ where can I find the list of the display managers registered in my system and how to select a new one?

d/ is perhaps a commando line display manager (script) existing and installable from Ubuntu depository?

e/ window manager switcher on fly?

kind regards

If the installation of a window manager provides a .desktop file, it maybe in /usr/share/xsessions.

I have
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 157 Apr 11 2016 Lubuntu.desktop
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 165 Apr 11 2016 Lubuntu-Netbook.desktop
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1507 Feb 27 2016 LXDE.desktop
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 198 Oct 14 2015 openbox.desktop
Several window managers accept
new_wm --replacewhere "new_wm" is the window manager one wants to switch to in an existing session.

Why won't
sudo apt install ratpoisonwork?

I'm not sure that changing locales has anything to do with window managers.

Re. display managers, it's preferable for the sake of clarity and to help other users, to start a thread devoted to that issue.

oui
February 7th, 2017, 02:44 PM
Hi
Thank very much Vasa!
I did erase the lines concerning the session manager from my 1st msg and open a new thread for display managers.
With your help, I did add an item ratpoison.desktop in /usr/share/xsessions, and really, ratpoison appears in the modified list of WMs and opens as expected (I am in ratpoison now ;-) !)
«I'm not sure that changing locales has anything to do with window managers.»
I use JWM with xfce4.appfinder (as debian menu does not take the special KDE applications in consideration! xfce4 does it and nothing to do excepted install and add a line in .jwmrc) instead of KDE. It is not optimal but what else!?!).