PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Boot Freeze

deekzoid
February 6th, 2017, 12:03 AM
I have a Dell Inpsirion 7559 series laptop with dual HDD's. My end goal was to install Ubuntu on the second HDD and have a dual windows 10/Ubuntu laptop. However, when I try to boot from USB it starts the boot process and get's about half way through then freezes and will not load anything. I have tried reformatting the Drive several times. I even tried several different version of Linux (Feodra, Elementry, and Ubuntu) all to the same end it starts to boot then freezes. It boots up fine into Windows 10, and I have several other computers that will boot from this USB drive, anyone have any ideas?

RobGoss
February 7th, 2017, 01:33 AM
Hello welcome to the forums, What are the specs for your machine it will help trouble shoot what maybe causing this issue.

Did you try the live desktop if so how did it run?

rickhunt
February 9th, 2017, 02:20 AM
I am gonna post here also rather then start a new thread. A friend of mine wanted Ubuntu, I sent her a USB, she has a Dell Inspiron 15 7000 series and is experiencing similar issues. It starts to load, show the ubuntu splash goes thru the 5 dots once and then stops on the first or second dot and freezes up. I asked her to try the esc key to see if there was text to give me an idea where its hanging but esc does nothing...it just locks up the computer and she says the fan runs like crazy. No blinking keyboard lights to indicate kernel panic. She is trying to boot 16.04 LTS 64 Bit UEFI. Had her enable legacy and try legacy boot...same result...freeze.

Any suggestions. She is in Maryland and I am in Washington State....can't really run over there and help her out. LOL

She says her laptop is a gaming one with Nvidia video.

Thanks
Rick