PDA

View Full Version : [lubuntu] Not installing

adamhff
February 3rd, 2017, 11:05 PM
So I really want to try out lubuntu but I am having install issues. I burned the lubuntu-16.10-desktop-amd64 to a dvd and it will boot to install menu. Then I hit install and that starts loading, but it never really goes anywhere. After a while sometimes it will go to a black screen that asks for username then password. From somewhere else i learned password is ubuntu, but then it just starts rebooting or something but it stays black and sometimes shows a screen with a cursor.

My laptop im installing this on cant boot from a usb drive in bios but I think the cd is fine, I even did the check cd thing and it said no errors found.

I'm almost sure I could install normal ubuntu on it though as I've done it before.

Any help?

Thanks!

~Adam

Tried to install normal ubuntu and got this error - "Sorry ubuntu 16.04 has experienced an internal error" I got that same error first 2 times I tried with Lubuntu.

oldos2er
February 4th, 2017, 12:08 AM
Hi, please tell us your hardware specs.

adamhff
February 4th, 2017, 12:19 AM
Hello,

It's an old sony vaio from 5 or so years ago
x64 based PC
intel core i5 M 460 @2.53 GHZ
8 gigs of RAM
Let me know if you need more details.

I don't know if this matters, but I just installed a fresh windows with none of the drivers for it yet. Don't think that matters since they are 2 different OS'

Thanks!

adamhff
February 4th, 2017, 06:13 PM
Well just successfully installed Lubuntu 14.04. - This might be some sort of bug in the new Lubuntu just FYI.

Now my question is can I update the distro to 16.04? I'll probably just leave it alone because I don't want it to break but in theory?

Anyway, Thanks!

~Adam

Autodave
February 4th, 2017, 06:19 PM
If you are doing a new install, I would just download and install 16.04. Trying to update the 14.04 will take a long time and may not work when you are done.

adamhff
February 4th, 2017, 06:35 PM
Ok so I took your advice and tried to update to 16.04 and now it's broken again. :( IT just puts me in a loop where after logging in it asks "A new version is ready 16.04" (not word for word) and then exits and takes me back to login screen. If I hit anything it looks back around, also after a second it does the loop automatically. How can I get back to 14.04? What could be causing this?

Thanks.

~Adam