PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Keyboard unresponsive after screen timeout

JP_Rockagetty_III
January 29th, 2017, 10:52 PM
Hello!

Recently I tried to upgrade my setup. I would like to (a) boot to an SSD, (b) set up a share on the rest of the SSD for documents, spreadsheets, etc. and (c) use an LVM to create one giant media server using two 3TB drives (LVM). After I install Kubuntu, I would proceed to install Kodi. (My previous setup is, I think, Kodibuntu 14.10, and I still have that SSD, with files intact and everything.)

I installed Kubuntu 16.04.1 and 16.10. In both cases, I walked away for a few hours and came back. I woke up the screen but the keyboard was unresponsive. By accident, I discovered I needed to type my password and press enter (dots or dashes wouldn't show on the screen), then press <CTRL> <ALT> <F2> and then <CTRL> <ALT> <F7> and everything would be unlocked, and I could use the machine again. Here is my hardware:

Asrock AM1H-ITX (mini-ITX)
AMD 5350 CPU/GPU (25 Watts TDP!)
8 GB Ram
Sandisk SSD Plus 480 GB
two 3 TB SATA spinning drives
Seasonic 460W fanless PSU
generic Broadcom 4322 wireless card from eBay, not set up yet

(Video is delivered to the HDMI port on my 39.4-inch Toshiba L5200U, it's a nice little big-screen TV).

AFAIK, this problem does not happen with Ubuntu + Kodi - it only happens with Kubuntu. This is my first time trying Kubuntu. I'd like to stay with KDE if possible (although Win7 would do shares, and LVM, and licenses are still cheap on eBay as of the date of this post.)

I have used linux since July 1998, so I am familiar with most of the concepts of linux. Can anyone help me figure out what is causing this problem?

Thanks in advance.