PDA

View Full Version : Change Ubuntu 16.04 splash screen

stevetingate
January 29th, 2017, 10:19 AM
HI i am running ubuntu desktop 16.04 and want to change the spalash screen to a .mp4 i have
can anyone help me ?

i read that i need to use plymouth but cant find any info on install and how to change it ?

Dennis N
January 29th, 2017, 06:27 PM
Your goal may be unattainable. I think you need an image file with a fixed image (probably of a limited type), as there is a script that controls all the components of the splash screen - it may require .png as a background but not sure on that.

Added information:

In 16.04 and later, look at /usr/share/plymouth/themes/ for the theme folders. In Ubuntu, it is probably "ubuntu-logo". Inside the theme folder are probably some images, and a script, probably ubuntu-logo.script that controls the action. One image is probably the wallpaper used for the splash. It should be obvious if you use thumbnail view on the folder. I woulds rename that image from the original name, then substitute a wallpaper of the same type and size but use the original name.

Caveat: Did not test this for you (I don't have Ubuntu 16.04 in use), but seems low risk and easy to undo if desired.

Contents of Xubuntu-logo theme folder in Xubuntu:

dmn@Sydney:/usr/share/plymouth/themes/xubuntu-logo$ ls
fsck-fade_16bit.png progress-fade_16bit.png test.png
fsck-fade.png progress-fade.png wallpaper.png
logo_16bit.png progress-meter_16bit.png xubuntu-logo.plymouth
logo.png progress-meter.png xubuntu-logo.script
passw-dialog.png spinner.png

gdesilva
January 30th, 2017, 02:22 AM
As Dennis N mentioned playing mp4 is not possible as Plymouth is only an interim display till the proper graphics drivers a fully loaded. The best you can do is to either simply change the background as mentioned above, install a new Plymouth script or write your own plymouth script.