PDA

View Full Version : Programming tools?

Melhisedek
April 2nd, 2005, 05:48 PM
Hi mates!
I don't know if this is the right place to post this but here it goes :)

Well I just downloaded and installed Ubuntu 5.04 on my laptop (Dell 8100) and everything is working juuuust fine :) (Network thing is not configured but hey :) )

My problem is... I don't see any development programs? I would like to write C++ programs but I don't know how. I used to write them in Kate (Kde text program as you probably know) and compile with g++ in Xandros.

How do you people do it with Ubuntu?
Thank you for your time!

bored2k
April 2nd, 2005, 05:50 PM
sudo apt-get install build-essential

Melhisedek
April 2nd, 2005, 06:41 PM
sudo apt-get install build-essential
Would that include that I need to get my Internet working or?

ups
April 2nd, 2005, 06:42 PM
you can use gedit for coding (in place of kate), or you can also use vi like many do.

the compiler will be the same, and it will be installed once you install the build-essential package.

bored2k
April 2nd, 2005, 06:44 PM
Would that include that I need to get my Internet working or?
No, its in your installation disc [apt-get with the disc inserted].

Melhisedek
April 2nd, 2005, 08:16 PM
No, its in your installation disc [apt-get with the disc inserted].
Thanks a lot. I'm new to Linux and everything is so new for me :)

Melhisedek
April 2nd, 2005, 09:43 PM
Thanks a lot. I'm new to Linux and everything is so new for me :)
One more Q please :)
Is there possible to do some "full install" like all kind of packages and how? Like whole KDE, Blackbox and stuff and than see what I like? And if I install KDE via apt-get... will it take over like system manager programs and stuff?

I don't know what I need yet and what is what so I thougth... install evertything and fool around to see what I like... :)

P.S. Gedit is nice but I kinda don't like highlightning att all, colours are all "wrong" somehow, like brown and stuff :)
I started vi through a console (took me a year to find that one out :) ) and than another to close it again... I really don't know how to use that one :)

bored2k
April 2nd, 2005, 10:02 PM
One more Q please :)
Is there possible to do some "full install" like all kind of packages and how? Like whole KDE, Blackbox and stuff and than see what I like? And if I install KDE via apt-get... will it take over like system manager programs and stuff?

I don't know what I need yet and what is what so I thougth... install evertything and fool around to see what I like... :)

P.S. Gedit is nice but I kinda don't like highlightning att all, colours are all "wrong" somehow, like brown and stuff :)
I started vi through a console (took me a year to find that one out :) ) and than another to close it again... I really don't know how to use that one :)
sudo apt-get install gnome kubuntu-desktop fluxbox enlightenment blackbox xfce4
that should get you covered ;) .

bored2k
April 2nd, 2005, 10:06 PM
Also try Anjuta IDE. Very very powerful application.

Melhisedek
April 2nd, 2005, 10:25 PM
Also try Anjuta IDE. Very very powerful application.
Thanks a looooot mate !!!!!!!!!! Looking at TV-Show Angel right now and you do his thing :)