PDA

View Full Version : Can't replace old desktop slideshow with new one

tffdratch
January 24th, 2017, 03:31 AM
A while ago I created a desktop slideshow. I wanted to change the slideshow, but I couldn't remember how I created it. The pictures in the slideshow are not featured in the appearance menu. the demo screen in the menu shows an image that only appears when I log out as a user. the appearance folders available do not contain the images from the slideshow. the only program I have found that allows you to create a custom desktop slideshow is Shotwell. I figured, that must be how I did it. so I used Shotwell to create a new desktop slideshow. I cannot see the new slideshow, the old slideshow is still there. in the desktop appearances you can see the image you are presently supposed to have from the new slideshow, but no pictures from it are featured in any of the available folders to choose from. I can't figure out how to replace the old slideshow with the new one. any ideas?

Using 12.04 with Unity desktop

ajgreeny
January 24th, 2017, 12:01 PM
Hi ttfdratch, and welcome to the forum.

I assume this is a "freestanding" slide show, not one that you can set from xscreensaver, and probably other screensavers as well?
Is it a file sitting in a folder somewhere that you double click on, por how do you start it running?
If it is a separate file what does it have as its file suffix?
What does command
file path/to/filenametell you?

Without more detailed info it is impossible to help you much more.

TMundo
January 24th, 2017, 08:39 PM
Hey,

I just resolved my username's SSO issue so this is my correct username for the above account that started this thread. The slideshow is a desktop slideshow, meaning the background of my desktop changes every 30 seconds. As stated above, I believe I created the slideshow in Shotwell, but going into the appearances menue in Unity seems to have no effect on the slideshow that was created by Shotwell. In other words, you can create a desktop background slideshow in Shotwell, but you can't remove or tweak it in the appearances menu. In addition to this, I am unable to create a new slideshow in Shotwell to replace the old one.

ajgreeny
January 24th, 2017, 11:48 PM
I had already caught up with your username change on the system; welcome back to where you wanted to be.

Using xfce (xubuntu) there is a setting in the Desktop Settings to use the files in a folder and you can change the time, in minutes, that each image shows in that setting.

Could that be what you are thinking of? I do not know if it's possible in other DEs, but no doubt someone will tell us if it is.

TMundo
January 25th, 2017, 02:59 AM
No, Im definitely not using xfce. There is the option of selecting the Pictures folder in Ubuntu's desktop appearance settings, but any background I choose in appearances is overrided by the first desktop background slideshow I created in Shotwell. Now, the second slideshow that I created in Shotwell is still overrided by the first. The second slideshow shows up in appearance settings as being active. There's even a little clock icon in there which I assume signifies the backgrounds will appear for an amount of time. But the amount of time they appear is still adjusted in Shotwell. The pictures will even show for a brief moment when restarting or signing in, but the old slideshow always overrides them. I suppose I could look for the folder where Shotwell keeps the desktop background slideshows it creates. It just seems a bit silly to have to do that just to remove a desktop slideshow created in Shotwell. Why would there not be a way to remove a desktop slideshow within the Shotwell program. Why wouldn't creating a new slideshow automatically replace the old one. Searching online claims this can be corrected in appearance settings, but it doesn't work.

ajgreeny
January 25th, 2017, 03:03 PM
Sorry, but as I don't really use unity desktop very much, nor shotwell ever, I can not give you any clues about this.